Little voice-acting = super modding opportunity!

I urge you guys at obsidian to make modding possible through a good modding tool!! All modern games are fully voiced, which might seem good, but is acutely a bane on stuff like modding. Morrowind modding flourished, with tons of great mods that included tons of dialog. In Oblivion and Skyrim it is almost reduced to nothing, as those games are fully voiced.

You are missing out on a great opportunity to create a huge modding community around Project Eternity, immortilzing it. Just look at morrowind modding, new mods are still comming out and being updated ten+ years after the game released!

The best stuff about modding is, if you got a great, solid, and good game, you can enhance it and add even more playtime to a game you love by getting mods. I can't count the number of times I played Morrowind, while games like NWN2 and BG2 are extremely good but after a certain amount of playthroughs there just isn't anything new to experince. Modding solves that!

• Like 1

Wasn't modding also more difficult in general in Skyrim and Oblivion due to a less developed editor, and more sophisticated graphics being inherently harder to produce?

I can't talk about the editor, but as far as I know the graphics resources available to modders (through the game library and other modders) are huge.

A few of the most popular mods are texture and mesh overhauls, improving the look of the game. Recently ENB mods have been cropping up which implement a lot of changes (color scheme, film grain, depth of field...). I reinstalled FO3 using "midhrastic ENB for FO3" and some texture mods just a couple of days ago and it practically looks like a recent release.

I agree that the fully voiced dialogues are a big hurdle.

• Like 1

I think more important than modding tools (which are important, don't get me wrong) is an open and easy to manipulate file and resource architecture. Modding NWN was so great and easy to do because every game file you'd ever need to access was at your fingertips.

• Like 1

Me, summed up in less than 50 words:

PHP | cRPGs | Daft Punk | Dominion | WKUK | Marvel Comics | INTP | Python | Symphonic Metal | Breakfast Tacos | Phenomenology | Cards Against Humanity | Awkward Hugs | Scott Pilgrim | Voluntaryism | Dave Chappelle | Calvin and Hobbes | Coffee | Doctor Who | TI-BASIC | eBooks | Jeans | Fantasy Short Stories | Soccer | Mac 'N Cheese | Stargate | Hegel | White Mountains | SNES | Booty Swing | Avocado |

@The Sharmat, That is true as well, tho many people still managed to get around that. But you couldn't make those big mods with loads of dialog because it looked silly without voice-acting when the rest of the game had it.

And yes, many of the mods released for oblivion, skyrim and FO3+ F:NV are graphic or gameplay tweak related. While that is a nice thing, it is a bit sad that modders can't really make new content to extend the game world, like we could in older games like Morrowind, because of voice acting. I personally never tried making mods or playing them on NWN but I heard it was awsome there as well.

Edited by Nerevatar