Project Eternity Things I would like to see...

Hey all, I am new to the forums but I figured I would share some things I would like to see in the game. Feel free to add your own or chime in.

1) Reach Weapons - Glaives, Halberds, Spears, Guisarme, Ranseur, Spiked Chain, etc. I love sword and board and the fun of all the two handed goodness that is normally associated with weaponry, but it would be nice to be able to employ these to good effect. Perhaps your character as a reaction sets for charge when someone leaps towards you, it could be a great tool for tripping and disarming, etc.

2) Wizards who can create golems and other magic/mechanical slaves. Not just the summon flavor, something that takes time effort and has meaning and purpose.

3) Ability to craft/create/enchant weapons.

4) Understand this is a unique setting, but I do like the idea of prestige classes to diversify

5) A class that can channel magic energy through its weapon, somewhat like the Duskblade in dnd.

6) Fighter useful maneuvers and moves. Things akin to Tome of Battle...variants like Dungeoncrasher (not complete copies but the same spirit) to make warrior types powerful in their own right and unique.

a. As a subset of that, if you could pull off grappling, mma types of moves for a martial arts type of character to pin and break bones, etc that would be stupendous.

7) The ability to really play varying alignments. So many times the evil party ends up doing the good thing for an evil reason, coming to the same ending. Why not have an ending where this kind of group supports and maybe overthrows the evil baddies.

8) Easter eggs in tribute to all of the wonderful games made by this team. Seriously!

9) The ability to affect the political landscape of the land. Perhaps become a leader of one of the kingdoms depending on how you play. Game of Thrones does some excellent storytelling in that regard.

10) Character customization! From racial choices, to character design. The more the merrier.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing how this develops.

• Like 1

I really would like to see they experimenting on new stuff, sure the old games are classic and are great, but some mechanics they have can be modified to make things better.

More life to dungeons, not just have the monster waiting for you in every room, making the dungeons more dynamic, with more movement and specify the relations between it's inhabitants is a must thing for them to do IMO.

• Like 1

Quality writing, memorable music and a battle system that's both fun and not a pain in the ass to use. A well thought-out inventory system would also be a welcomed feature. Lastly, a good character development system free of silly, useless skills (i.e. +2% chance to cause poison damage for neutrally-aligned characters for 5 seconds).

Bad controls? I'll manage. No state-of-the-art graphics? I couldn't care less. Voice-overs? Can do without them. Bugs? Meh, I'll play the fully-patched GotY version anyway. Romance options? I don't mind them, as long as the game allows me to befriend male characters without banging them. Housing? I'd much prefer a cozy roadside inn with a secret base of operations.

Also, please, no unlockable difficulty settings. God, I hate not being able to take up a challenge right from the start.

• Like 3

Magic outside of combat. Perhaps dialogue options and actions influenced by magic just as stats and skills could affect dialogue in previous games.

Ritual magic. Stuff done out of combat that requires a ton of stuff to set up but has far more drastic and long reaching effects.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 1

Since this is a free-for-all i give my 2 cent to what i would love to see:

• A good story (a given with obsidian, but still the most important thing in an RPG)
  • Character generation like in Icewind dale with class and character archetypes.
  • a healthy mix of generated and story-related characters in your party (you don't have to use NPC's or generated chars, but to be able to go with both would be great)
  • I don't care for good/evil mechanics like in KOTOR 2, but being able to play good/evil/neutral and to have it an effect on the game world, not on your stats. Always hated, that it was possible to be evil all the time and still everybody thinks you're a hero and you still could do "the right thing" in the end. maybe abilities depending on your alignment?
  • I always liked the ultima-kind of Magic, using reagents and components for spells, but since this will be a "soul-magic" system, i doubt it would fit in.
  • Prerendered backgrounds. They always looked better than all this real-3d stuff

These and many more, but i am just happy, the Infinity-Engine gets a spiritual successor. Loved ALL the games, especially BG2 & PS:T

• Like 2

As a subset of that, if you could pull off grappling, mma types of moves for a martial arts type of character to pin and break bones, etc that would be stupendous.

One of my favourite classes from D&D was the monk. Not many games feature that style of fighting nowadays. The MMA thing made me laugh a little though.

I also agree with you about the ability to play an evil character. That definitely doesn't work with a storyline where you have to save the world, though.

Planescape and Baldur's Gate were great in that regard. Especially PS:T.

The opposite would be something like Dragon Age, which I've recently completed. Okay, I've been recruited into the Grey Wardens, and immediately the king dies, along with my boss and my entire order. I've been forcibly brought here, so why would I ever care about the blight and whatnot?

Their explanation that you had to do it because you drank the blood was a little weak, in my opinion.

If I'm playing an evil character, I'd love to be able to attack non-hostile NPCs, for instance. A thieves/assassin's guild questline would be even better.

Edited by Audiocide
  • Like 1

Can Minsc or Boo have a cameo? Just kidding.

I believe Obsidian will make a great and memorable game as long as they adhere to their vision -- not mine or anyone elses.

Don't need to reinvent the wheel -- they seem to have put a great deal of thought into this venture over the years and Kickstarter gave them a means to accomplish their dream. I wish them nothing but success.

If I'm playing an evil character, I'd love to be able to attack non-hostile NPCs, for instance.

That's a major point for me too. Not necessarily in order to be an evil a-hole, but having NPCs being affected by your actions improves immersion so much in a game like this. If a battle erupts in a populated center, I want to see people run for their lives instead of staying around unfazed, unclickable and invincible like furniture. I want the possibility to feel like s**t about collateral damage. I want non-hostile "scenery" NPCs to be subject to the same set of rules a hostile NPC or party member would be. This is something that was in Fallout and BG, which i've missed so much in more recent games such as DA.

Also I want the ability to play the game without being a complete psychopath. It feels like most games these days will have your body count in the hundreds, if not thousands, even as you play as a paragon of goodness and virtue. Sure you may kill bad guys and bandits, but killing on such a scale should be a bigger deal than it usually is. I want ways to resolve issues without resorting to wanton slaughter.

Edited by Fooine

I believe Obsidian will make a great and memorable game as long as they adhere to their vision -- not mine or anyone elses.

Definitely. If they tried to implement everything being discussed here, the end product could become be a nonsensical mishmash of ideas. It might be better if they stuck to their original plan. If they had a finished plan, of course.

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks what they decide to do with it.

Edited by Audiocide

There is nothing I want to see more than Co-op. I want to play this potential classic with my friends.

This. It's so hard for me nowadays to play games alone. If I'm not being with other people, it's not as fun. Please add a co-op aspect as well. Less companions will be able to come on the adventures, but sometimes it's just as fun to be our own companions.

• Like 1

Also I want the ability to play the game without being a complete psychopath. It feels like most games these days will have your body count in the hundreds, if not thousands, even as you play as a paragon of goodness and virtue. Sure you may kill bad guys and bandits, but killing on such a scale should be a bigger deal than it usually is. I want ways to resolve issues without resorting to wanton slaughter.

I loved that part in Skyrim where someone died in a dragon attack, and I got a letter a few days later saying that she bequeathed her belongings to me.

Trying to protect bystanders, or just drawing your sword against a merchant who rips you off, etc. can really improve immerson in my experience.

I'm against most crafting. Tends to break immersion and sometimes economy. How can a person who didn't devote his life to crafting becomes as good as the world's best?

Makes sense. But simple crafting could be useful. Not making a complete set of plate mail armor in your camp, but maybe crafting simple odds and ends, such as necessary supplies.

Edited by Audiocide

I agree that Icewind Dale CG was great. Really enjoyed that.

Also good points about co-op. If they can do that in the remake of Baldur's Gate, why not here and on multiplatforms? Better marketability for sure :)

Story is of course the bottom line. Its kind of what I was trying to get at with the being able to play a good/neutra/evil party. It would be so refreshing to really be evil or to really be completely neutral and have those choices alter the story in a visceral way.

I thought of this one too...achievements ala Fallout. Some of those achievements made me laugh....and on that note it is ok to add in some comedy amidst the seriousness of the storyline.