How about some luv for the iPad and tablets?

Heya,

I'm from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition's forum.

I'm planning to get BG:EE for the iPad so I can bring the game with me on my travels. Actually, I think that's a good strength for the Infinity Engine, that it's not a very demanding engine so tablets can run its games quite easily. I was just interested in hearing why this game isn't going to be for sale on multiple platforms.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game regardless, but I think that would be a neat offer. :)

- Zinstah

• Like 1

Eternity isn't going to use the Infinity Engine.

IE was only mentioned as a marketing nostalgia hook in terms of the genre of games that used that engine.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

No, no, no and no. Even though I would get BG: EE for ipad if I had one, I would not like Obsidian spending time trying to figure out how the game is going to play in two widely different enviroments.

BB exists, the enhanced part is preatty much code cleaning and optimizing. It is a much more focused endevour and it is for that reasonthat I think it can work onthe ipad.

No, it would limit the creative freedom, its already going to be for PC, probably mac and linux too. Let them create the game, IF after the game it looks feasable, then go for it, they can probably get some other company to do it, but do not worry about it now. I have seen so many great games neutered because of the limitations of a platform (looking at you consoles), we do not need that here. It is a shame that shadowrun returns is forced to limit itself because its being developed for tablets, its probably why we wont have astral or matrix in the game and why the game looks like it is being developed by pixar. So no, maybe later AFTER the game is released we can think about it, but it should NOT even be considered as a stretech goal.

• Like 1

Actually, if it's not going to be on the Infinity Engine, then I agree. I misunderstood, sorry, and you're absolutely correct.

Definetly make it a solid game experience for the PC.

'Sokay, I can see how you might misunderstand given the marketing around the project.

As a side comment, I wonder if the full Windows 7 and Windows 8 tablets could handle this (it comes down to the graphics hardware, I imagine). It's the iOS/Android tablet OSes that really aren't on the table for support. Only full Mac and Linux desktop clients are being suggested in the stretch goals.

Could be something to consider only after the desktop version(s) is completed, which would be 2014.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

My legs fall asleep in the bathroom to much as it is thank you...then again maybe I should stop taking the Kindle Fire to the bathroom with me...

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

I've heard it isn't too difficult to port a PC game to tablets. So, why not? But it definitely shouldn't affect development of a PC version. Maybe they could do it later, after Eternity will be released.

Mostly because they're already operating on a shoestring budget, so regardless of how "easy" it is to code a port to a tablet OS, it still takes programming and resources to make it happen. Who knows, maybe they'll push 5 or 6 million in their kickstarter effort and adding mobile OS support will become a viable option, but diluting their time and resources at their current funding level (or even projected funding level) isn't just as simple as saying "why not."

To get mobile support post release, I'm guessing they would need to generate some pretty beefy sales and then they'd probably contract with a company that has experience in mobile OS games and let them do the port ... but they'd need to see a pretty clear cut demand for such support.

Edited by nikolokolus
  • Like 1

Another vote for "Wait until after it is released, then consider porting it to the tablets". I do think that the tablet market both from a UI perspective and an audience perspective is likely to be the source of a commercial renaissance of old-style RPGs of this sort -- but it won't help much from a fundraising point of view (tablet users aren't likely to know about or find out about this game), and they are already splitting their focus (Max / Linux) more than I would like given the budget.

I'd rather see the game ported to iPad and other tablets than to consoles, as mouse control translates fairly well to a touch screen.

If it were up to me, ports to other platforms (including Mac and Linux) could wait until the game was otherwise done, but at least those won't have to compromise when it comes to resolution, space, controls, etc.