Modding tools  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a tool for create campaings?

• Yes I really want it! I love playing custom stories
    • It would be great but I prefer you to focus on other features
    • I think this is not a priority or I don't like this feature
  2. 2. Have you ever played custom campaings (such as NWN) with friends?

• Yes
    • No

I really wish there is a plan to include a way to let players create our own maps, npcs and campaings. I think this is one of the best ways to give a game the longevity users want. Kickstarter is the best way to let players decide if we really want it. What do you think?

• Like 4

I am rather surprised it was not part of one of the stretch goals...

Yeah me too. It's one of those things that fits for Kickstarter goals. May be they plan to include it in a higher stretch goal, 2.4 pretty please?

Quite likely, I assume. It will be one of those things that even if they don't really want to do, the community will demand.

And I supposed, being such a dear feafure, it would be smmart, albeit risky, to save it for a high funding goal to piush people to pledge more. Smart, but risky.

Edited by guiskj

They shouldn't waste their time for developing modding tools. I want see as much content as possible. Not by modders, but by developers.

try thinking this way. The developers often have to paint with broad strokes on some aspects of gameplay so that they don't alianate audiences. Modders allow for you to fine tune the gaming experience to you, as an individual. Does that make sense?

After searching mod support this seemed to be the best thread generating some discussion on the topic. If there is one thing a game can do to make me become faithful to it and its future sequels(as well as the developers in general) its some sort of mod support. Mod support for games like this could help make the game last plausibly hundreds more hours for many people.

I support a modding tool to increase the longevity of the game. History tells us that games that ship with modding tools which keep the fanbase active and involved are success stories.

• Like 1

All the stars, Fearlessly bright, They call me out there.

They shouldn't waste their time for developing modding tools. I want see as much content as possible. Not by modders, but by developers.

Didn't one of the 'Big Names' (Urqhart?) use community-developed moding tools to help add-in unfinished content in one of the IE games?

Anyway, I think one of the best parts of playing the IE games today is the insane modding community that has grown up around them - especially the stuff that's heavily tied to the source material, like the Xan and Kivan companion mods for BGII, or the additional party banter mods, or (especially!) unfinished business.

Seeing as there won't be multiplayer and the environments are pre-rendered, modding tools don't seem like they would be of much use.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Allowing a game to be modded (and especially if this is relativly easy to do) gives it:

1. A much longer life span, as the fanbase will contiunally support it by developing cool mods. This is especially so because the game will not be fully voice acted, so dialog-heavy mods could be made without feeling out of place.

2. Make you able to tweak the game to YOUR exact liking. Don't like X? Change it! Think Y should have been a little less Z? Find a mod that changes it, or do it yourself! Even if you are not into modding yourself, there is always other people that feel more or less the same way as you about something, so mostly the mod you want is already created.

I really hope Odsidian will support modding!

Giving the community the ability to create their own mods is always a good thing, regardless of if a game has MP or not. The only real question is whether the devs can afford the time and expense to create and release them.

So while I'd love them to release some tools, I'd be happy if they simple have the game in a state where it's possible for the community to create it's own tools/mods and go from there (like every IE game ever).

Ignorance is only a curse to those who believe it isn't.

Didn't one of the 'Big Names' (Urqhart?) use community-developed moding tools to help add-in unfinished content in one of the IE games?

David Gaider did in one of the Baldur's Gate games. I think it was Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm confused by the poll's assumptions. I'd like for there to be modding tools, but not because I want to play custom campaigns with friends.

Do you enjoy making custom content and playing it alone?

I enjoy single-player content developed by Obsidian or modders alone.

I'm confused by the poll's assumptions. I'd like for there to be modding tools, but not because I want to play custom campaigns with friends.

Do you enjoy making custom content and playing it alone?

I enjoy single-player content developed by Obsidian or modders alone.

That's fine too. At the time to making the poll I didn't considered that. It is just I always played custom campaigns with friends.

I think that a tool for players to create custom content is necessary but not for the first months of life of the game; the point is that making it requires a lot of effort because you need to have it in mind from the beginning.

At the end I think that players and the game would benefit from it.

I spent three months building a city in Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset and I didn't know anything about scripting or programming.

I'd really really love to be able to do that again and if I can host it to play with my friends online it would be great.

It's okay if it's a stretch goal , as long as they don't sacrifice the single player they can consider adding mod tools and even online mode, to play with friends.

i think that a toolkit for modders would be fantastic, a great way to add to the lifespan of the game. i fully support the idea

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I defiantly want a modding toolkit but the first prioity is to get a good game set up. One that is stable and bug free. Then provide a good toolkit that is reliable and does not conflict with the game. If the two don't work properly together the toolkit is of little value.

Game first Toolkit second

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg