[Merged] Info was a little vague.

So in the very vague intro video and KS info page the Obsidian people refer to the IE games many times. They say they want to make a game like that but what do they really mean? Are they just pandering to the crowd who misses those games? Are they going to take our money then ship out a isometric DA2?

Miss classic CRPG's like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planscape: Torment? So do we!

This is from the website. What makes these games what they are?

1) Top down Isometric perspective with hand draw backgrounds.

2) Specific character classes who all had roles.

3) Vancian magic system.

4) A 6 person party where no member was forced on you.

5) Only people running with the main characters got XP and no base camp. People have lives after all.

6) Distinct Divine and Arcane spell schools with hundreds of spells.

One thing the W2 KS did was make it very clear what we would be backing. So far Obsidian has been very unclear. For a typical studio produced game I understand when they leak details out slowly. But they are asking for money right now for a game that is almost 2 years away from release. I would like some guarantees this is what they are talking about when they throw the name BG and PS:T around.

And I have to say all this jibber-jabber about souls is highly discouraging. Sounds like a very Bioware sort of concept.

Edited by oldmanpaco

Codex Explorer

From a marketing point of view they might be maxing out the publicy. If you think about it, if a number of internet sites publish new info on a weekly basis during the KS push it will attract more views/hits even after the initial announcement that some people might have missed.

And it gives them something to talk about during the KS push and after it. If they dump a huge load of info on us on the first day, what is there to talk about later on?

Hate the living, love the dead.

From a marketing point of view they might be maxing out the publicy. If you think about it, if a number of internet sites publish new info on a weekly basis during the KS push it will attract more views/hits even after the initial announcement that some people might have missed.

And it gives them something to talk about during the KS push and after it. If they dump a huge load of info on us on the first day, what is there to talk about later on?

I do get that this might be their strategy to milk as mouch money out of this as they can. It's just dissapointing that developpers use Kickstarter and are all idealistic about direct contact with the fans bla bla bla. And in the end it turns out that all they want is our money and we get the same marketing BS that we're used to from the big publishers.

There is a very large difference between what Fargo did and what Obsidian is looking to do. Fargo has planned to do a remake/had a good idea of what he wants done for YEARS. Obsidian has not, instead Obsidian is (currently) hoping it's strong background on making rpg's coupled with fans who have played BG IWD PST to show trust in them. More info will of course come out but you instead choose to be rather impatient and disappointed over something that has a month long course. They could of course just spit out everything they plan on doing with the game right here and now, lose all hype, not have people upgrade after hearing something they want (like a toolset) will be included.

Soul jibber jabber sounds like a bioware concept? Have you ever played PST?

They are not being secretive about the game at all... They have already told us what we will be getting:

A party based game like in Baldur's Gate / Planescape with a fantasy setting similiar to the D&D Forgotten Realms Unisiverse (Baldur's Gate & Icewind Dale). :alienani:

The art-style and graphical representation they choose will depend on how much money they raise with this Kickstarter. Same goes for game mechanics, etc.

We will certainly also be getting more info over the next month, so be patient. If you don't like what you are seeing over this period of time, then just remove your pledge. It's that simple. :yes:

Edited by dlux

:closed:

Hi.

First I will mention that I am fan of laconic speech, so this request will be short.

Now, I would like Obsidian to be more like that. The only thing that stopped me from backing this project so far, is the vagueness in the presentation. The video was more focused on pushing forward brand recognition, but told nothing useful about the game.

I will probably back this project anyway, but I will be willing to pledge more, if I know something useful about this game. So far the description you gave could be used to describe any generic RPG out there. What sets this one apart? Your project is already reached it's goal, why don't you use these 30 days to make us more familiar with your game concept?

Best Regards

Xmasbeer.

They are just trying to please everyone, if they release all the info, some people might think it suck, and convince their friends not to pledge for it.The way I see it, two kind of people are backing this project, Old School Rpg fans, that just want to see the sequel to his favorite game pretty much, and also the newer RPG fans, that would like their Bioware touch all over this project...

Check your privilege!

I suspect they're holding back info for two reasons.

1) It's not all set in stone, they want some feedback.

2) Information releases can bring in additional buzz and new backers, regaining momentum.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

For god's sake people, it's the weekend, give them a few days to release some more information.

Apropos of nothing, when did people become so damned impatient? Is it the product of twitter or Ritalin?

Seriously. The actual game was announced, what, Friday? It's only two days later, and people are already complaining about the lack of information about it. There's still an entire month to go before the end of the pledge drive. I'm sure we'll be updated with more and more information over the course of that month.

In the meantime, people should be using this time to come up with suggestions for what they want to see in the game, so the developers can get an idea of what is most important to the fans.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Seriously. The actual game was announced, what, Friday?

Other games on kickstarter had clear info on the very first day. For example Planetary anihilation had visual representation of the game, Castle story featured a video of a tech demo, while Wastelad 2 presented clear goals on what the concept of the game will be from the very start.

Once again I did not start this thread to just complain, but rather to encourage developers to enlighten us some more over the duration of this month.

I do get that this might be their strategy to milk as mouch money out of this as they can. It's just dissapointing that developpers use Kickstarter and are all idealistic about direct contact with the fans bla bla bla. And in the end it turns out that all they want is our money and we get the same marketing BS that we're used to from the big publishers.

Even if this game's kickstarter is a startling success, 4 or 5 million is a pretty small budget for a game these days. Milking everything they can to have the funds to deliver the best game possible is something I hope they don't shy away from.

Once again I did not start this thread to just complain,

And that's fair enough.

but rather to encourage developers to enlighten us some more over the duration of this month.

But this is the part where the majority of my post is directed at. Give it time. I'm sure they will reveal more information about the game over the course of the month. I'm just saying that you're being a bit impatient (for lack of a better word) for even feeling you need to encourage them to post more information just because 2 days (two of those days are weekend when they might not even be in the office) have passed with no new info.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Have they not been in contact enough? I see bunch of em reading these forums even though it's weekend. Josh has replied to several questions and I believe is writing down some answers to our questions. You have to realize that they have very limited marketing budget for this, not to mention a short window to create as much funding as possible. How can you say it's the same bs we get from the likes of EA? Because they did not run you over with a truckload of information about the game in the 1st two days during a weekend?

Hate the living, love the dead.

I do agree that info has been very vague. I would love know things like:

* who's the composer?

* turn based?

* classic tolkienesque races?

* engine?

* number of party slots?

* art direction?

I can infer a lot from what they said they love about the Infinity Engine classics and they obviously have the Onyx engine, but still, I would prefer to have had solid info on their part from the very first video. And I would also have expected them to have told us it was a class-based system from the start and expected the game to be DRM-free to be an obvious thing from the getgo.

But hey, I love these guys!

They are just trying to please everyone, if they release all the info, some people might think it suck, and convince their friends not to pledge for it.The way I see it, two kind of people are backing this project, Old School Rpg fans, that just want to see the sequel to his favorite game pretty much, and also the newer RPG fans, that would like their Bioware touch all over this project...

Check your privilege!

I hope that's not the thing, that would be very awful to do on their part. I believe they are really early in development (preproduction) so they themselves are fuzzy on the details and they want to have some feedback before presenting things as definitive.

Edited by Tychoxi

I do agree that info has been very vague. I would love know things like:

* who's the composer?

* turn based?

* classic tolkienesque races?

* engine?

* number of party slots?

The project has not started yet, so without knowing what are the budget and how it will be spend, its hard to make decisions like who to hire as a composer, or what game engine they could afford to use.

Wasteland 2 didn't have any engine decision until after the project started. And they brought in new people after the project have started as well.

We have to keep in mind that Kickstarter basically meant the project is just an idea with no execution yet. Many decisions are taken during the development stage, and we are certainly not in that stage.