3 races guys? Player housing?

That's disappointing and I hope it's not elves, dwarfs and humans. It's not like every single game features them...

Player housing? How about two more classes instead or different deities with spells for your priest/paladin? How about a more challenging game mode? New quests?

You are creating a new setting or recreating isometric Dragon age?

Edit.

Why not adding psionic races/classes as a stretch goal or something not completely worn out.

Edited by l3loodangel

...Dragon Age didn't have player-housing.

Warden's Keep? Not to mention the sequel.

That was optional DLC, though. Was there player housing in DA2 ? I didn't play it to completion, truth be told (what a letdown to the first DA, imo)...however I wouldn't call the house of your Uncle player housing -if that's what you are referring to. It was more a base of operations.

That was optional DLC, though. Was there player housing in DA2 ? I didn't play it to completion, truth be told (what a letdown to the first DA, imo)...however I wouldn't call the house of your Uncle player housing -if that's what you are referring to. It was more a base of operations.

Potato, po-tah-to. Anyway you get your own house in Chapter 2.

Edited by Infinitron

1.1 million: three races, five classes, and five companions

2.2 million: five races, seven classes and eight companions (+ LOADS of other content)

-> READ the kickstarter page!!! :alienani:

Read my post again. I don't care about dwarfs, elves and orcs as races even if you there would be 10 RACES.

I would like to see Races like Tiefling instead off traditional Elf and Dawrfs..

they should avoid as much they can fantasy Stereotypes,IMO

Exactly. It's ridiculous to have the same overplayed races with a "New" setting.

To be honest, I'd rather have three really flesh-out races, that the world react to, that have unique gameplay and options, their own agenda or ways to solve quests than ten tacked on just for the sake of it, with only changed skin color and height. Think Arcanum: playing a half-orc or half-ogre was vastly different than a gnome.

that said, the stretch goals do look banal and poorly thought-out. Not because they offer things that should be there from the start, but because they are badly constructed from the bussiness point of view. I really hope the further goals will be more interesting, like mod support, or the psionic stuff OP wrote.

• Like 1

[intelligence] I'm fighting the Good Fight with my posts.

This is a fantasy game. I expect Dwarfs and Elves.

If I play a game based on Greek/Roman Mythology - then I expect Medusae, Cyclops and all that bull****.

If I play a game with Undead in it - then I expect Zombies.

Etc. etc. etc.

And at 2.2 Million we will have 5 PLAYABLE races. That is more than enough. Dwarfs/Elves/Humans/Little ****s with hairy feet/something else - Now that is a good game. :)

:closed:

If I play a game based on Greek/Roman Mythology - then I expect Medusae, Cyclops and all that bull****.

Etc. etc. etc.

haha, oh wow

you do know that standard fantasy fare is a mashup of tolkien's take on norse legends plus each and every myth that's out there? You would expect minotaurs in a fantasy now wouldn't you? they're from greek mythology.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd rather have three really flesh-out races, that the world react to, that have unique gameplay and options, their own agenda or ways to solve quests than ten tacked on just for the sake of it, with only changed skin color and height. Think Arcanum: playing a half-orc or half-ogre was vastly different than a gnome.

that said, the stretch goals do look banal and poorly thought-out. Not because they offer things that should be there from the start, but because they are badly constructed from the bussiness point of view. I really hope the further goals will be more interesting, like mod support, or the psionic stuff OP wrote.

To be fair, they probably had to iron out the stretch goals at least 48 hours earlier then they thought :p

But yeah, I'm fine with *just* three-five races, even if they are elves and dwarves and whatnot, as long as the experince of playing as one race is distictive compared to playing another.

I'd like to see completely novel races so I don't go into exploring this world with any expectations about worn out fantasy themes (elves in the forest w/ bows, dwarves in the mines w/ forges, beer, and an axe, blah blah). I'm also less than excited by a player house, but it's no deal breaker for me. I just hope Obsidian takes note, and if they really go the route of a player house they make it mean something more than what is found in Beth games.

Obsidian had all the time in the world to think about strech goals and prepare for the kickstarter - even if they were taken by surprise with funding within 24h, the goals would have been carefully written down before, not made up on the run.

Etc. etc. etc.

haha, oh wow

you do know that standard fantasy fare is a mashup of tolkien's take on norse legends plus each and every myth that's out there? You would expect minotaurs in a fantasy now wouldn't you? they're from greek mythology.

^^

I don't care where the stories of elves and dwarfs originated. That is what I expect and what I like. And I never said anything about minotaurs, only elves and dwarfs.

Elves have already been confirmed indirectly - so if you don't like them... well then tough **** I would say. :yes:

:closed:

Etc. etc. etc.

And at 2.2 Million we will have 5 PLAYABLE races. That is more than enough. Dwarfs/Elves/Humans/Little ****s with hairy feet/something else - Now that is a good game. :)

Ouch... Fantasy is a far wider genre. Actually, a game based on greek mythology would be a fantasy one too. Like a lot of people here, I'd really like if they were creating a truly original setup with other archetyps than these two for the races. With their views on magic I think we can hope they'll do that.

So did the lack of classes and races hurt Planescape Torment?

Just saying.

PST had at least 3 races. Haman, gith and thiefling, but only humans were playable, because TNO was human. So I could go with 3 races as long as two of them are not elves and dwarfs.

Besides when you promise to deliver a new original IP, people hope for new and original stuff. I know it sounds preposterous, but it just might work.

Elves have already been confirmed indirectly - so if you don't like them... well then tough **** I would say. :yes:

"Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see."

I don't know what KS drive you are reading, but I don't see Elves set in stone.

You mean Vigil's Keep. You're forced to give away Warden's Keep.

From what I can gather, 'Player Housing' (Skyrim) and 'Stronghold' (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age) have different connotations. Player Housing implies a much more domestic functionality.

Personally, Player Housing is part of this simulationism that a lot of people seem to like but I don't. I don't want or expect mundane details off of my heroic fantasy novels and stories.

I won't mind a few races as long as they're at least a bit untraditional, if it's human/elf/dwarf then meh. If it's like in Planescape where you had a few races that felt unique, then I'll probably like it. Same with classes, I'd rather have a few well designed classes instead of the cluster**** of classes in NWN 2.

And I like player housing/strongholds, makes my character feel like a part of the game world. The more variety I have in a game, the more I like it.

So did the lack of classes and races hurt Planescape Torment?

Just saying.

PST had at least 3 races. Haman, gith and thiefling, but only humans were playable, because TNO was human. So I could go with 3 races as long as two of them are not elves and dwarfs.

Besides when you promise to deliver a new original IP, people hope for new and original stuff. I know it sounds preposterous, but it just might work.

In PST, the races of you party were as followed:

Tiefling, Githerzeri, Succubus, Modron (think sentient geometric shape, with machine parts) Human(oid) who is a living conduit to the Elemental Plane of Fire, a suit of Armor animated by the ghost of the guy who used to where it, and of course, a floating skull.

Other races met included Alu-fiends (half-succubus) some devils, a couple of women of an unkown race who could shaped reality by describing events as if reading it from a story and a whole slew of other things that absoluting did not include elves and dwarves.

• Like 1

Guys, just keep two things in mind:

1- this is not a AAA game! Budget is tight, specially considering the scope of the game. Three to five well fleshed races is more than enougth. Betterthatthan run into the ridiculousness that is Skyrim when no race is recognized and you are called as an inferor race by the Thalmor even when you are a high elf...

2- don't be so quick to dismiss elves and dwarves. They are staples for a reason. A lot of people like playing them. The game is not only for you...

Cheers.