[Merged] DRM Discussion Thread

Baldur's Gate EE requires the Beamdog client to run.

No it doesn't. The Beamdog client is optional.

If that's true, that's good news to me and I stand corrected

Everywhere I search, I couldn't find any other alternative of buying the game except from Beamdog service. Its not even on GOG, unless something changed?

I'd prefer to own the game, not a license to play it.

This.

I've completely stopped buying games unless they are future-proof; i.e. unless I can freely install it whenever and wherever I see fit, I don't want it.

As much as I look forward to "Project Eternity", I will not be getting it unless it is DRM-free.

t50aJUd.jpg

Eurogamer is reporting that there could be no DRM if the project reaches 2.4m, dunno if it's official.

I'd like to see a source for his statement. Otherwise it looks like he's just completely misinterpreting what Obsidian's been saying, as I've seen nothing to indicate Obsidian said a DRM-free option was tied to funding goals.

The source for this statement is the kickstarter page itself. The strech goal list is a little bit misleading because there is only a very small passage between the "Coming soon!" for the 2.4M and the statements about DRM, PayPal and co. I think that Eurogamer merged these two things together although they are two very different things....

Perhaps it would be good to clarify this misunderstanding by changing the text a little bit or simply to confirm a DRM-free release now. ;)

35167v4.jpg

I don't want steam on my pc. If you are going to release it only via steam I think I would donate and look for other ways to get a working version of this game. I like salted cookies, and I trust people who make cookies more then big companies ;)

Edited by rohezal

To be fair, Steam is no different than Origin or Uplay or Battlenet.

Of course, but - correct me if I'm wrong - these are digital distribution platforms for each individual publisher, so unless Obsidian becomes a division of EA (*shiver*) Project Eternity on Origin is out of question ;)

And I believe we actually purchase a license to use a software each time buy a software and agree to its EULA. This was something that was debated long before online DRM and basically we do not own the rights to a software, but just the rights to use it. Its a complicated thing so I'm not trying to open up that discussion. Just though I'd state it since you mentioned about not owning a software.

You're basically right here, but i'd like to clarify a bit. When you own a physical installer, license is assumed to be bound with it. Of course, in accordance with copyright law, this physical copy can't be multiplied, but when it is given to someone, or resold, or inherited, the license is still considered valid. That's the difference between having a licensed product and a license subscription.

Everywhere I search, I couldn't find any other alternative of buying the game except from Beamdog service. Its not even on GOG, unless something changed?

It is only available from Beamdog, yes. But they've made using the client for it optional.

To be fair, Steam is no different than Origin or Uplay or Battlenet.

Of course, but - correct me if I'm wrong - these are digital distribution platforms for each individual publisher, so unless Obsidian becomes a division of EA (*shiver*) Project Eternity on Origin is out of question ;)

Correction, Origin, Steam, and Uplay are platforms belonging to the company, but not exclusively for. Origin releases games from other publishers currently, and Ubisoft has announced plans to do the same with Uplay.

Battle.net is still Blizzard only, however.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Even tho I will not pay for DRM game, I don't mind someone making it. Steam, Origin, Uplay... all fine with me as long as I got option no to use it. It can be from the developer's site, or GOG.com or some other way. Just make it option, that all anyone is really asking.

if not... YARRR!

Edited by c01mhth10ch

I dislike DRM as much as the next person, but Beamdog seems to be getting a free pass.

Baldur's Gate EE requires the Beamdog client to run. Haven't heard much people speaking out against it. But perhaps I'm just not listening enough.

Unfortunately even the non-client version of BGEE comes with a launcher that requires online activation every time you install or re-install.

I don't give Beamdog a free pass for it and have indeed been speaking out against it, but the BGEE forum is far less receptive to the DRM-free message than this one.

I apply the same standards to BGEE and Project Eternity: DRM free version required if they want my money.

Edited by Arundor

Project Eternity could end up on Origin, Origin is EA's store as Steam is Valves.

It seems likely that it will be sold at a lot of places, no real reason not to. Don't know if Origin would allow key registration or similar though so it's probably not usable as a kickstarter specific distribution option- the presumption would be that if steam/ gog/ whoever were used for the kickstarter copy you'd just get a key you could enter to register the game then download from there, saving Obsidian download and admin costs. Personally I think the ideal situation would be a universal key that could be registered at the DD store of your choice so all options and preferences are catered for, but that has obvious practical problems.

Project Eternity could end up on Origin, Origin is EA's store as Steam is Valves.

Wasteland 2 will be sold on Origin if I remember rightly the key thing is it will be available elsewhere DRM-free. (EA are offering a lower % for indie games or kickstarter games or something for a few months) http://wasteland.inx...php?f=23&t=2180

There's absolutely nothing wrong with games being available on as many digital distribution sites/platforms as possible, quite the contrary, it's THE way to do business. Store exclusivity is beyond stupid.

People should be given options - if they want a Steam/Gamersgate/Impulse/GMG copy, they should be able to buy it. If they want a GOG/ DRM free version, they should have such an option, too.

I dislike DRM as much as the next person, but Beamdog seems to be getting a free pass.

Not from me. I was pretty stoked about the BG EE release but when I found out it would be tied to a client, I said "No sale". I've bought 4 copies of the BG series to date, the last from GOG (which is DRM free). No way I'm paying for another version that's tied to a client. Even with updates, it's not worth it to me. Mods + the GOG version will more than suit my needs.

Not from me. I was pretty stoked about the BG EE release but when I found out it would be tied to a client, I said "No sale". I've bought 4 copies of the BG series to date, the last from GOG (which is DRM free). No way I'm paying for another version that's tied to a client. Even with updates, it's not worth it to me. Mods + the GOG version will more than suit my needs.

Answered here?

It is only available from Beamdog, yes. But they've made using the client for it optional.

I didn't know Beamdog had a special client like Steam, and my heart fell when I first read about it above, but hopefully it's true that the client is a distribution mechanic (like Amazon's downloader thing) that can be deleted later.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I didn't know Beamdog had a special client like Steam, and my heart fell when I first read about it above, but hopefully it's true that the client is a distribution mechanic (like Amazon's downloader thing) that can be deleted later.

Look a little further down the page:

Unfortunately even the non-client version of BGEE comes with a launcher that requires online activation every time you install or re-install.

I don't give Beamdog a free pass for it and have indeed been speaking out against it, but the BGEE forum is far less receptive to the DRM-free message than this one.

I apply the same standards to BGEE and Project Eternity: DRM free version required if they want my money.

As I noted, I've got enough copies of the games that I'm not willing to pay for one that has activation or client dependency.

As I noted, I've got enough copies of the games that I'm not willing to pay for one that has activation or client dependency.

Hm. Online activation is more problematic with games where longevity is expected (unlike productivity software), and Beamdog is so small and new, who knows if they'll be around in 10 years. Client dependency is a major turn-off, one reason why I'm just not interested in Steam. Guess I'm leaning towards giving this a pass now. :(

A disc-check or offline reg code is fine with me otherwise, but digital-only distribution is troublesome in this way. Bugger.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Uh, are we witnessing a new kind of graphic courtship over Twitter? ;)

Not that kind of graphic.

Edit: Update #4. I'm about to up my pledge. :) Thank you. (I'm also pleased to se that PS:T is on GOG's top selling list right now!)

Edit2: OMG BETA ACCESS COLLECTOR'S EDITION GO!

Edited by Ieo

Wow, I see a huge discussion here

Well, here's what I have to say.

I ONLY buy PC games from GOG.com these days, or on a special, extremely rare occasions (like upcoming X-Com) get meself a box (still sadly often tied to blasted steam).

Been there. Seen that. Got the scars.

With GOG being announced, this thread can be closed.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: