[Merged] DRM Discussion Thread

Please let there be no DRM.... I stopped buying games with DRM once I realised my computer became unstable due to all the seperate DRM running in the background. I uninstalled the games with the DRM and magically my computer stopped crashing or getting conflicts as often. Besides, my games catalog is growing so large that anything creating any kind of hassle does not get used anyway.

Edited by Gurkog
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I hope there will be a DRM free copy available. I have several Steam games including Fallout NV. There are advantages and disadvantages. Many of my friends do not like Steam.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I am in the camp that is without access to decent broadband so DRM and pirating are both unattractive. I just don't bother with games that have DRM now. Although, I do buy some indie games off STEAM, but I guess searching for different distributors should become a priority for me.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I have never played FO:NV because even the disc version of the game requires Steam.

people need to get over this hatred for Steam. Steam is a wonderful service, and the DRM is non intrusive. Games can be played offline after a one time online activation. Steam does not run any DRM processes in the background.

I disagree. If you like Steam that's all fine and good, but if I don't like it, why should I have to use it? Why can't I have options?

It doesn't hurt any player that enjoys Steam if I don't use it. However, it hurts Steam's profit strategy. That's all there is to it.

• Like 1

I have never played FO:NV because even the disc version of the game requires Steam.

people need to get over this hatred for Steam. Steam is a wonderful service, and the DRM is non intrusive. Games can be played offline after a one time online activation. Steam does not run any DRM processes in the background.

Does anyone else miss the days when the software you had to run to get your games to work was called your operating system? Let's go back to those days.

• Like 2

I have bought most of my games on Steam and I have nothing against it. If Obsidian will decide to release Eternity on Steam, fine. If they will make it DRM-free, why not? It seems that a lot of people want it, and they have their reasons. I would rather download the game directly from Obsidian though, not from GOG.

What's the big deal with DRM, if it gives the developers we like more profit, so that they can make better and more games, I see no problem with it.

Read the thread.

You may be unable to see problems with it, but that doesn't mean other people don't. If you like it fine, then sure, chalk that up to a vote for DRM.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I would love for Obsidian to go the GOG way. Oldschool disk-keys or things like that are completely ok too. Other than that, DRM is always a punishment for the paying cutomer who has to deal with

- malicious drivers or trojans (e.g. SecuROM, Starforce, ...)

- limited activations, when switching components like processor or graphics card, or to a different PC, and see next point (e.g. Tages)

- depending on the game's dev-studio/publisher to guarantee the continued existence of a server for always-online or online-to-start schemes (e.g. Blizzard, Steam, Origin, UBI-Launcher...)

- removal of privacy sphere (e.g. Steam or Origin scanning the system)

- there's more, but I don't want to waste time just to get upset about other forms of DRM ;)

The only people *not* bothered by DRM are people using cracked versions of games. Seeing that even chief-intrusive-DRM-guys at UBISOFT claim a 95% rate of piracy, this says all about the usefulness of DRM... not to mention the idiocy of assuming that a "sufficiently well made DRM" will make those alleged 95% actually *buy* the game, but that's off topic here.

In short: Dear obsidian, please leave away the DRM! Your paying customers will be grateful. Your non-paying users will stay non-paying users, but you'll at least save your paying userbase a lot of nerves and gain kudos :)

Edited by samm
  • Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I have bought most of my games on Steam and I have nothing against it. If Obsidian will decide to release Eternity on Steam, fine. If they will make it DRM-free, why not? It seems that a lot of people want it, and they have their reasons. I would rather download the game directly from Obsidian though, not from GOG.

And one day Valve will change it's policy and require additional payments (monthly fee) for all your games, and You will have to agree or Steam will delete your account. This is actually possible due to their regulations. That is why I prefer GOG, their licence agreement is just fair.

Don't say that will never happen because gamers already had to resign from their right of reselling games due to Steam policy... this is a matter of time.

Would have been nice if they had made this decision from the start. But I don't have faith in them providing it DRM-free.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And one day Valve will change it's policy and require additional payments (monthly fee) for all your games, and You will have to agree or Steam will delete your account. This is actually possible due to their regulations. That is why I prefer GOG, their licence agreement is just fair.

Don't say that will never happen because gamers already had to resign from their right of reselling games due to Steam policy... this is a matter of time.

I find this very unlikely, but if this happen, then I will rage for a while, create a thread on RPG Codex (or post in the existing one) and switch back to pirating games, as I used to when I was a poor college student... Also, I still have my boxed copies of favourite games that I bought on eBay.

Edited by Lysen

Apologies for the chaos, this thread now contains the 3 current discussions on DRM, Steam & GOG.

Just cutting down on the number of parallel universes.

What's the big deal with DRM, if it gives the developers we like more profit, so that they can make better and more games, I see no problem with it.

Read the thread.

You may be unable to see problems with it, but that doesn't mean other people don't. If you like it fine, then sure, chalk that up to a vote for DRM.

I am a pirate myself, and I know how it works, I lurk lots of pirate forums, and a strong DRM does work to make profit, because some people just can't help it, and go and buy the game because they don't have the patience to wait for a crack.

Exactly. There's no need to go through GOG as Obsidian can easily sell the DRM free version of it directly.

Its funny people hate on Steam and yet they want GOG despite the fact that Obsidian can easily provide the game for free. If you want GOG just because you want all your games at the same place, then hey, that's the reason why Steam users what the game on Steam too.

Steam and DRM free version are NOT mutually exclusive. Why not let everyone have that they want? No need to hate on others

Edited by Hornet85
  • Like 1

If you want GOG just because you want all your games at the same place, then hey, that's the reason why Steam users what the game on Steam too.

Not at all, people want it on GOG because 100% of their games are DRM free. It's a big focus of their marketing, and if Eternity appear there you can be 100% sure it's DRM free too.

Steam and DRM free version are NOT mutually exclusive. Why not let everyone have that they want? No need to hate on others

Not really. Any new game released on Steam require the Steam client to run. Bethesda Softworks made a mistake about that with Skyrim, only making the SkyrimLauncher.exe require the Steam client and not Skyrim.exe itself, but it was quickly fixed with a patch.

Also, the Recettear FAQ state the following.

HEY! What about the fact that you're on Steam? I HAVE to have the game run via Steam if I purchase it that way!

This is, we're afraid, the price of doing business on Steam. The Steam wrapper must work with the game in order for Valve to publish a game on Steam. We were willing to bend on this, however, because both of our other distribution partners (Impulse and GamersGate) offer purchases that feature absolutely no DRM at all. Therefore, if the Steam wrapper offends you to the quick for some reason, you still have multiple, completely DRM-free options available!

There is an offline mode for Steam, but people tend to forget that they need to "activate" it the first time that they use it. I'm actually growing to quite like GamersGate even more than GoG when it comes to DRM-free distribution.

EDIT: GamersGate also allows Steam key distribution.

Edited by Kovaelin