This is probably something that won't be detailed for while, or perhaps it's already been settled internally and discussing it would be moot, but what does everyone feel about what the ruleset should be like?

Should it use a D&D ruleset? Which edition would you prefer? Maybe another PnP ruleset deserves a shot? Would a custom ruleset be more suitable? What would you like the ruleset to play like? Should it be more streamlined and action oriented, or do you want more deep and sophisticated crunch? (The comparison of Skyrim vs Daggerfall/Morrowind comes to mind)

Just share whatever idea's you have.

Edited by Mystwalker

I believe they've said they're developing a custom ruleset.

And that's a good thing. While DnD is field-tested and proven, it's still a POS, and there's nothing that'll change that. I'd rather they try something experimental than go for the ye olde faithful just because. Besides, custom ruleset means, no licencing fees, which means more monies for other aspects of development.

• Like 2

Using D&D ruleset would probably mean acquiring rights from Hasbro/WotC and that would mean giving them rights to meddle with game design, because they're the rightholders and in the end it's their words that matter. The whole idea of Kickstarter is (to me) avoiding exactly this situation and have full creative control over the game, which would be impossible with licensed ruleset. Not to mention license fees they would have to pay for using the ruleset.

So no, I don't think they consider anything else besides their own houserules. Josh Sawyer and Tim Cain are said to bo working on mechanics for some time, so let them have their fun.