Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Merged] Co-Op Multiplayer as some potential future stretchgoal?

co-op multiplayer stretch goals

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

Poll: Co-Op / Multiplayer as a potential stretch goal? (659 member(s) have cast votes)

Would co-op be a stretch-goal that you might be interested in past the 2.4 million mark?

1. Yes/Possibly (267 votes [40.52%])

Percentage of vote: 40.52%

2. No (392 votes [59.48%])

Percentage of vote: 59.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Badmojo

Badmojo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I am against coop/multiplayer because that is valuable time/resources/money that could be going to improving the singleplayer game. There are soooo many games that added multipleyr/coop to a singleplayer game that did not need it and the singleplayer suffered because of it. I strongly advise against adding coop even as an option for a stretch goal.

SqueakyCat

SqueakyCat

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts
That would probably be the single (and only) reason I would cancel my support. Just stick to a good single player format. I'm so sick of tacking on MP to just about every game being published.

Darvon

Darvon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's not a feature I'd use, so it would just be resources diverted from the parts I enjoy.

razum

razum

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
People are scared it will take away from their single player experience. Sure multiplayer will require extra funds and development time, but with a reasonable stretch goal I believe it can be done. I am assuming they haven't started writing the source code yet, so it may not be too late to add multiplayer support as they go on.

I think what a lot of people dont realize is that the multiplayer experience is what partially made some of the original IE games so great, or last so long. Even years later buddies of mine will get together to play these games coop. Also multiplayer has and can work well in these type of games if implemented correctly. If it can be done 14 years ago, why not today? Most modern games have to worry about porting the code over to other devices such as consoles, but in this case it will be PC only.

In the end it all depends on what Obsidian's vision is for the game. Will adding multiplayer mess with the flow, or can they fit it in to their story and have it flow well?
  • Alweth likes this

Vatdim

Vatdim

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think what a lot of people dont realize is that the multiplayer experience is what partially made some of the original IE games so great, or last so long. Even years later buddies of mine will get together to play these games coop.

This.

People say PS:T did well without multiplayer. While that is true, it doesn't mean it couldn't have done even better with multiplayer. Let's take the case of NWN2: MotB. In every sense (besides the engine and graphics), this game was a true successor to what PS:T stood for. It had a deep personally engaging storyline and it had well written companions which were significant to your journey. I played MotB together with a friend - the feeling was one of the best I've ever had in a PC game. Nothing ruined my immersion. It was actually better than playing the game on my own (which I've also done) because I had a *real* person there with whom I shared the responsibility for the hard choices we had to make. It felt like a real old-school pen and paper RPG session.

I don't see why PE shouldn't have a multiplayer *option*, unless that turns out too expensive or time-consuming to handle.
  • Alweth and gaden like this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's rare to find a feature people are against. But I guess multiplayer being mandatory has left a bad taste in people's mouths.

Anyway, I thought it was cool in Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Neverwinter Nights. I never actually used it in those first two games. So that should tell you how committed I am to supporting it. The idea of having Obsidian.net game nights to party up is a cool idea, but there are definitely better things to have if it's too much effort to implement.

Kaldurenik

Kaldurenik

Demilich of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
In my opinion i would be fine with something like BG2 (but abit improved) even more so if they make tools to make your own maps and stuff. That way they can make multiplayer work in a very basic way... But open it up to allow people to mod it / create their own worlds / scenarios and stuff.

But hey i can dream right ;)

JayDGee

JayDGee

Juggernaut of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Steam:JayDGee
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have fond memories of Icewind Dale co-op, quite possibly the first game I ever played online.
  • Alweth likes this

Badmojo

Badmojo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Trust me, coop WILL take time/resources/money from the singleplaer game. The developers have got to waste time making sure their code work with the online components, then they have to rewrite the story so it will not contridict anything. Hey, one of the player characters is supposed to be captured or killed for this scene, but now with multiplayer, they have to scrape that. Also, what about dialog? Who gets to speak? will they have to do a divinity 2 route where everyone can talk or just the main character? Trust me, it is NOT worth it.

Gyges

Gyges

Pit Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes. But when i say that i mean Neverwinter Nights style, which presupposes a toolset.

Troller

Troller

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 283 posts
They already don't have much to support the development of this game, comparing to other games, like Dragon Age(which only had 3 classes)
so I think stuff like multiplayer, "tea parties" shouldn't really be discussed here, we should focus only in important aspects of RPG: gameplay and historytelling.

Karranthain

Karranthain

Huscarl of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm very much against it - I think I'd rather have a longer, more satisfying solo experience instead of a half-baked (because that's what it'd amount to at best) multiplayer.
  • Abtacha likes this

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Voted no. With a limited budget, I prefer they put the money in content and fleshing out the new IP...and maybe created mod-tools.

Blablachar

Blablachar

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
No multiplayer please- as above, rather concentrate on awesome C&C, dialogs and fleshing out the core game.

Tychoxi

Tychoxi

Sciscitator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
man, it looks like I missed on something (never did multiplayer with any Infinity Engine game) but I can't see how such a deeply single-player focused game could work with co-op! How do you handle dialogs, companion interactions, making choices? Is the "second" player a "spectator" during those events? I could see something like IWD or ToEE (though I barely remember ToEE to be honest) working somewhat better with co-op, but I'm thinking the experience of Project Eternity will be more akin to Arcanum, Torment and BG...

Edited by Tychoxi, 16 September 2012 - 07:33 PM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
I love Multiplayer too, but I don't really think this game needs it.

Umberlin

Umberlin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts
I'm really not on board with this idea that some publishers/developers have in their heads right now that everything needs multiplayer to be considered good, it annoys me even more that some reviewers have actually bought into that nonsense.

MustahKrakish

MustahKrakish

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
Myself and five other friends all play through Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights/Icewind Dale/etc games together, and the second co-op is confirmed we're dropping cash on this game.

Until then we're in limbo.
  • Vatdim, Alweth, AzureWolf and 1 other like this

AzureWolf

AzureWolf

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
With 40% of responders wanting multiplayer it's a must at this point. The next stretch goal, mac porting, caters to ~10%, and a later one, linux ~5% of potential customers. For those complaining about development time, why complain about multiplayer when porting will take up more development time anyway? Go rage against that.

Look if this is done anything like the IE games, multiplayer will be awesome and seamless from the singleplayer.
  • Vatdim and Alweth like this

Alweth

Alweth

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've been reading through many threads and it seem that the community is split in half on multiplayer. There is nothing I want more than to be able to explore this wonderful new world with 5 of my friends. Did co op not work well with the old IE games? Why are so many of you so against it?

It seems like the people who are against multiplayer never tried BG and company's multiplayer. It wasn't perfect, for sure, but you can see all the posts in here from people who played and enjoyed IE multiplayer and want some more.
  • Vatdim likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: co-op, multiplayer, stretch goals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users