[Merged] Co-Op Multiplayer as some potential future stretchgoal?

Co-Op / Multiplayer as a potential stretch goal?  

659 members have voted

1. 1. Would co-op be a stretch-goal that you might be interested in past the 2.4 million mark?

• Yes/Possibly
    • No

Co-op would be great and I would love to see it as an addition if Obsidian gets time and money for it. I'd give them a couple of more months to be honest, if they really felt they wanted to add it in there. With that said:

All IE games were practically Multiplayer and it did make the games so much better. I can barely play the IE games Single-Player anymore because I tasted the Multiplayer. Just having a couple of characters in your game that are out of your control, managing tactics with your friend over Skype and narrating a completely unique story for your characters together is brilliantly more fun than roaming around in the world all by yourself.

Multiplayer does not ruin an experience, at least not a Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale experience... there are times I'm googling around hoping that a PS:T multiplayer mod or tool has arrived from the Heavens so that I can play that Multiplayer too. Oh PS:T would have been great co-op, one player could've had control over Morte and the Host controls the Nameless One and as party members came into the party you could just divide and change "Permissions" and "Control" in some sort of "Modify Team" view a la Baldur's Gate. Something that could work for the P:E games perhaps?

So I voted Yes/Possibly. It shouldn't be a focus, but I think Obsidian already knows this.

Also I wrote a "DM-Mode" thread that got moved:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61243-dm-mode-for-the-future/

Having one friend be the DM of the game. Imagine playing Baldur's Gate with 3 friends, one is practically the "God" with the power to summon monsters at you when you Rest, or call down Lightning. Cause environmental effects and decide what kind of loot you get when you slay enemies, spawn quests and/or direct you towards it.

However, there are two things that are super important for a Co-Op feature:

A, Being able to PING on a mini-map.

B, Suggesting placement and positioning to your friend/team mate/co-op:er in-game. How many times did me and my friend try to pull each others hairs out playing combat in Baldur's Gate? Many times. I wanted him to do this and he wanted me to do that.

I can say one thing, playing Baldur's Gate multiplayer was sweaty and challenging. More challenging than playing single player.

Multiplayer was like = 2v1 Chess xD very frustrating but so much fun

• Like 1

I also reasently discovered this project and I have to say that Star have a a very good point. I have never played Baldurs Gate or any of the game that this project is to recreate, but I'm starting to feel that I should play them. I have however played Dragon Age Orgins and Neverwinter Nights 2. Dragon Age was put away after just a couple of weeks and I havent touched it since, nor am I tempted to either. But Neverwinter Nights 2 I have played online since 2005 I think.. And I am at the moment working with some friends that I have made playing the game on making a new custom world RP server.

I am in like mind with Star on this and I would also pay extra to have a longer lasting player experience, but I am of those that think that MMORPG's should be free to aquire if you have to pay to play them online. I like the way Neverwinter Nights 2 is and I don't even like the MMORPG, in my eyes they are just money eating multiplayer grinding games without any meaning and they, like singleplayer games become boring after you have played them for a few weeks.

Back in the day these games were first and foremost D&D in digital format.

The addition of co-op is not an option. It is a must.

It doesn't hurt anyone who doesn't care about it.

It hurts everyone who ever wished for it.

In a way it does hurt us though. Funding for multiplayer would take away money from another part of the project. Right now Obsidian's focus is creating the best single player RPG that has ever seen the light of day. They're trying to make a memorable experience that is grander than those of the past (PST, BG, IWD) and anytime I've ever seen 'anyone' talk about the good old days of rpgs, I've never once seen someone mention coop and multi player as one of the things they were reminiscing about.

• Like 1

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Come on, guys.

If there's such a thing as Hall of Heroes, that literally supports a pc-only playthrough without involving all the deeply worked NPCs...

Why not let ppl just have a BG-like co-op option?

And what's with all the hating? "All games have co-op now!" Since when exactly that happened?

I don't recall a good rpg that allows you to play campaign with your friend. The last one was IWD2.

(Not counting console anime hell)

From what i've seen this past decade there just was a lot of frustration in the form of "Man, i wish i could play this with my buddy\bf\gf\!"

Out of utter loneliness, ppl made a MMO from Fallout 2, for god sake! :grin:

To Obsidian:

Please, guys, don't fully deny the possibility of co-op implementation. It can wait, just don't make it so that it will never be possible. Ok? :luck:

Come on, guys.

If there's such a thing as Hall of Heroes, that literally supports a pc-only playthrough without involving all the deeply worked NPCs...

Why not let ppl just have a BG-like co-op option?

And what's with all the hating? "All games have co-op now!" Since when exactly that happened?

I don't recall a good rpg that allows you to play campaign with your friend. The last one was IWD2.

(Not counting console anime hell)

You might want to actually read the devs' reasons for not considering this. Scattered across the forums and interviews and in my sig and all over this thread and related ones. You people just refuse to read and even accept the actual reasons (including the devs' reasons).

To Obsidian:

Please, guys, don't fully deny the possibility of co-op implementation. It can wait, just don't make it so that it will never be possible. Ok? :luck:

The funniest interview quote would be from Sawyer (who's actually in the game industry, by the way, and can see numbers none of us can) was being perplexed that people ask for a co-operative experience and then the feature is so rarely ever used when the game ships. Basically: You guys are a pretty small minority for a complex mechanism that requires more cost and debug work for no content gain.

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The funniest interview quote would be from Sawyer (who's actually in the game industry, by the way, and can see numbers none of us can) was being perplexed that people ask for a co-operative experience and then the feature is so rarely ever used when the game ships. Basically: You guys are a pretty small minority for a complex mechanism that requires more cost and debug work for no content gain.

Co-op games get played, but including in a single player game, yeah that's incredibly inefficient use of resources and not worth it at all. If they do co-op, it should be an expansion, stand-alone, with a separate campaign. Everybody should play Portal 2 and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light co-op, that's some of the best gameplay you'll ever find.

Co-op games get played, but including in a single player game, yeah that's incredibly inefficient use of resources and not worth it at all. If they do co-op, it should be an expansion, stand-alone, with a separate campaign. Everybody should play Portal 2 and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light co-op, that's some of the best gameplay you'll ever find.

The best solution is to have a separate Kickstarter for each of those various minority things that people ask for in terms of high technical costs--console port, co-op mode. Let Obsidian calculate the amount of time and money would be necessary for each (e.g. expansion built ground-up for co-op) and see where the KS goes. Then if the target audiences manage to fund either, the mechanisms are already paid for and Obsidian doesn't have to worry about losses or stripping too much content. Those are all side projects, though.

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The best solution is to have a separate Kickstarter for each of those various minority things that people ask for in terms of high technical costs--console port, co-op mode. Let Obsidian calculate the amount of time and money would be necessary for each (e.g. expansion built ground-up for co-op) and see where the KS goes. Then if the target audiences manage to fund either, the mechanisms are already paid for and Obsidian doesn't have to worry about losses or stripping too much content. Those are all side projects, though.

Altought i dont think there should be a kickstarter for every little thing about a project i think having a separate project for something big like adding multiplayer could work.

Let those who are interested in multiplayer fund it so that obsidian can hire the extra staff and have the extra ressource to do it.

• Like 1

Ok, that's pretty much a clarity overload right there.

But on second thought, nevermind.

As for the "separate campaign" and some really personal preferences listed above.. Well, just.. awkward.

IMHO.

Sooo, yeah.

Back to waiting for another interview to link around. =]

• 2 weeks later...

IF you compaing the old school multi player (in which case ill refer to it as LAN parties)

Now fast forward to what do we have now, Cod spinoffs, and wifi.

Well I do see the non-stagla of that co-op, I can in my right mind be 100% confiendent, sure thye could the funding is there, but I just dont see it with your avage player. Now if it was oh hey lets LAN the pcs together no w that something ill jump on in a heartbeat.

Let those who are interested in multiplayer fund it

I think I already did my part (I suspect I pledged 7-10x the average amount).

D&D and the spirit of role-playing, traditionally, has been a group--or even communal experience.

And I'm not terribly interested in the citation of interviews as proof of much of anything other than developer opinions--as though they (while valid) are somehow completely objective and nullify the positive experiences of gamers who have enjoyed multiplayer RPGs.

Regardless, it's a given that multiplayer isn't going to happen with P.E. (so, arguments here, including my post, are redundant).

Edited by Webslinger

23u4g7t.jpg

If the game sell good i would be fine with them adding it to the expansion.

Exactly my thoughts.

If it is worth it or not to include multiplayer in the game depends a lot on how the game works. A tactical game where u can control all options of your partymembers and have a lot of freedom in movement, multiplayer makes a lot more sense than in other RPGs where u are traveling without party most of the time or they have to hop behind you all the time and have no way of influencing the game at all. Because then you don't have to change the game if multiplayer is added. On the other hand I see that having lots of text in the game and many different ways of solving quests may be less optimal for multiplayer.

I think in this game it makes sense to consider multiplayer. Especially because even though 40% is a minority, it is a big minority if you ask me and shows that there are a lot of people here that would play multiplayer. I would like it to be included in a future expansion pack and I would be a bit sad if it wouldn't be implemented at all.

this was my idea for making the 15-level 'endless paths' mega-dungeon a 'shared' end-game experience of sorts. i was reading about the james egbert d & d story and the urban legend as the kickstarter was winding down and the forum started to pick up. it would utilize a searchable database of 'high-scores' via a portal through the official p:e game site (post-launch). and a file-swapping environment with obsidian at the center. anyhow, would like to hear your ideas. it was mostly just a 'design excercise'.

best

jude

'gygax dungeon, and dragon.'

during your travels, even as you become a legend, you hear stories. and as you draw near the end of your quest you start to fear the worst could be true. that you've yet to face your greatest challenge. but how much have you got left? your legend can't go on forever.

the whispers are that there's a man who has lured a generation of children to a cave, promising them a game to play with all the other children of the world.

just as many fathers have been forced to go into the dungeon looking for their children, knowing none of the others have ever come back. and a generation of mothers have become ghosts and witches, waiting for death in the saddest villages you've ever seen. the cave becomes worse than a dungeon. what have you fought all this time for if this blackness will eventually drown the countryside. hope?

stop and take a screenshot of the flowers and look at the sky from under a beautiful hand-painted tree before you come here b/c this isn't a place you will come back from. just one last thing to do.

if you make it to the end of the dungeon, gygax the dragon waits for you. but he's been waiting in torment b/c you're his slayer and savior. if you survive.

in his dragon form he will try to destroy you b/c you've survived his dungeon and you threaten to end his game.

but when you beat him you free the man who became twisted and transformed and needed the game to be real. in the end he became all the things in the world he longed to escape from with 'the game'. and so much worse. you defeated the closest thing to pure evil you ever imagined. but now evil is just a man.

he opens a door to a 'basement' and you follow him into a hidden '16th level'. but its not really another level of the dungeon. this is a different kind of place you remember. its been so long since you'd been around normal. and you sit down with gygax, the man. for a pen and paper game of d & d.

the game goes into top down, first person or isometric view and you play.

if you win a portal opens. and you watch gygax the boy return to the place where good intentions and abominable monsters come from.

but now its time for your good deed to be punished and you are left there, all alone at the bottom of the dungeon and things are more different now than ever before.

you have become gygax the dragon, the dungeon master in your basement and you see yourself anew. all new skills, powers, weaknesses and with a complete respec. you also see all the 'dragon class' items that you unknowingly picked up when you were making your way through the dungeon in human form. but after respeccing and re-arming and armoring yourself you level up and find a new set of points to allocate. that's right, your reward for beating the dragon at the end of the 15th level is to be absorbed by him.

now here, in the 16th level, the 'basement', at the d & d table you get to re-design the dungeon, rightfully, as the new dungeon master. after you redesign the 15 levels- all the traps, mazes, illusions, trap doors, etc. you place all the monsters where you want them, re-allocate all the monster points and skills, etc. and then the end comes and your fate as gygax is sealed, there, waiting to make your game real for someone else.

and then our 'end game' begins.

if you click on the portal in the basement it takes you to the obsidian 'end game' archive where your hero's human and dragon profiles are uploaded along with your new redesigned dungeon.

and now you re-roll. you begin a new character if you like and your new experience in project: eternity starts just as you would expect.

if you make it back to the dungeon with a new character your previous hero will be available to you as a companion, part of your party; and respeccable. and each time you beat gygax the dragon he absorbs the souls of all the heroes (not companions) that are in your party when you defeat him. this also determines how many additional points he gets to allocate after you respec him once he absorbs you and you become the new dungeon master. and each time you beat the game with a new hero, that hero becomes available for the next time you make it to the dungeon. eventually your whole party could be all heroes, all heroes you know very well and have mastered. but each time gygax is gaining the strength of multiple heroes.

after you beat the dungeon the first time and take the form of gygax you also unlock the ability to download and play a dungeon from the obsidian 'end game' database. of course you can also play through normally as if facing gygax for the first time with each new character you make. or you can fight the gygax from your previous hero's journey, at which point your previous hero will be available to use in your party. after defeating the dungeon the first time you also unlock the ability to play all subsequent dungeon battles against gygax as either the heroes or as gygax ,or to play against yourself as both.

eventually you won't be able to defeat gygax, even with an entire party of heroes. and maybe no one else can either.

in the 'end game' database you will be able to see where/how your dragon stacks up against the other dragons that have been created and defeated, etc.

eventually the top of the top will emerge and there will be a 'high scores' list of sorts.

the top 10 dragons in the 'end game database' will also be playable in a special dungeon mode called 'dragonax'. you get to play as one of the 'high score' dragons to see if you can defeat the other 'high score' dungeons and dragons. your performance and stats will all be part of an uploadable game file to be seen by all of us. and the 'high score' list will always be evolving/changing the more people play.

this was my idea for making the 15-level 'endless paths' mega-dungeon a 'shared' end-game experience of sorts.

Agreed: I, too, think that the Endless Dungeons would probably be perfect as a setting for co-op multiplayer.

Edited by Anorymous

So many people are against multiplayer. It seems like no one remember this day that most of AD&D games have it: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights etc. Best of the best RPG's.

Because it just would be waste of resources for a feature which would be pretty much pointless for game like PE.

• Like 1

So many people are against multiplayer. It seems like no one remember this day that most of AD&D games have it: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights etc. Best of the best RPG's.

Because it just would be waste of resources for a feature which would be pretty much pointless for game like PE.

These guys just don't get it.

I fancied playin' BG\IWD co-op with my women, and i still wanna :biggrin:

I don't ask devs 2 lose resources, just look into it, on ocasion :dancing:

If you ever played BG or NWN in MP you'll never say that this is "waste of resources".

NWN is whole different type of game, and yes I've played NWN in PW-servers. PE will be solely meant to be played as single-player and it wont even have modtools (at least for now) to create your own content.

If you ever played BG or NWN in MP you'll never say that this is "waste of resources".

But I haven't, so I will.

Say no to popamole!