For the 1st time, I actually want to pledge. However...

Please don't take this wrong, and God knows I love almost every game these guys have come out with. But I have not been able to make myself back a kickstarter project yet, for various reasons. Here is my main fear with this team.

Reputation lately for buggy or unfinished games (from both Obsidian and Troika). Now with the backers not a evil corporation above you, will you release a unfinished or severly buggy game? Both Obsidian and Tim (Trokia) has done this (IMO).

Yarazin

KOTOR 2 at least was buggy because of an unreasonably truncated development time. Can't speak for their other products.

I believe New Vegas was QA'd by Bethesda, so there's that too (and the GameBryo engine is notoriously crappy anyway).

Bah! Ninja'd.

Edited by Gazoinks

Well with the relatively small budget(yes, still small even if they break 10 million) I think that the development time will be inherently limited to the number of months they can employ the developing team for. So far I can't say any of their games that I played have been unbearably buggy or had any bugs too severe. The worst I ran into wiped out my Fallout New Vegas saves but I knew about the bug, took preemptive measures so I had my saves backed up....ultimately I lost about 5 hours of gameplay so all in all not too bad.

Besides that if you don't have some kind of tolerance for bugs then perhaps gaming is the wrong hobby for you.

1zq6793.jpg

KOTOR 2 at least was buggy because of an unreasonably truncated development time. Can't speak for their other products.

There was a TON of cut content from KOTOR 2. There's a mod that restores it, but AFAIK, this was all due to lack of time because of publisher demands.

Besides that if you don't have some kind of tolerance for bugs then perhaps gaming is the wrong hobby for you.

I have a great deal of tolerance. I am not talking about small anoyances. Come on, you guys know I am talking about game breaking issues or unfinished content.

As a fan backed project this shouldnt happen, but I fear its still a possibiliy. I have played many of the games they have made, and these issues are not entierly exagerrated.

I guess I want one of the devs to tell us it wont happen...

With it not being a publisher backed title they don't have to stick to a release date set far ahead of time. If they need more time they can take it. They can release it when its done, or if we get impatient, at least give us forewarning if its in a buggy condition when they release it. Also, with no publisher to deal with, they can support it with patches for as long as they feel like putting the time into it rather than requiring publisher permission. Think how Blizzard was still releasing patches years after release. With this project they are accountable to us.

As much as gamers like to think developers owe them something, in this case, they actually do, a solid finished product that lives up to the promises. I don't think they will disappoint.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Publisher pressure isn't an issue sure, but financial pressure, and to an extent, backer pressure in terms of PR and the fate of future projects, are still very real constraints. Kickstarter isn't the opposite of good project management, and if anyone is complacent enough to forget the basics of developmental discipline, then they will fail as hard as any other.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G