Obsidain why you lie to us?

A lot of things get implied in a game. Why the assumption that party members staying at you residence are passive? They could be practicing their skills, learning improving. If you go to a trainer do you spend a lot of time actually training? I do like it when there is actual training of some sort. Shooting at a target gives you some XP. Sparing with a partner gives XP. That sort of thing.

Tea Parties? Did I hear a mention of those? As a recent arrival from Skyrim I want mead parties! Milk drinkers all of yah. :w00t::devil:

nothing trains you in combat, like doing combat

I really like shared party exp. I generally take companions on quests based on story considerations, which leads to me switching out NPCs frequently instead of sticking to a few optimal members. In the end, the latter actually adds up to LESS tactical choices and diversity, not more; as you'll be combining the same talents over and over throughout a given playthrough.

In my experience, neither of these happened in the IE games. I could (and did) switch party members all the time in Shadows of Amn, only settling for a definitive 6 man party much later.

Also, if class design is any good, a definitive party won't ever feel dull or repetitive.

Furthermore, planning your party beforehand was a staple of D&D games, the IE games included.

A lot of things get implied in a game. Why the assumption that party members staying at you residence are passive? They could be practicing their skills, learning improving.

Show, don't tell. Or, should I say, let me play it, show or at the very least tell.

Edited by Delterius

I really like shared party exp. I generally take companions on quests based on story considerations, which leads to me switching out NPCs frequently instead of sticking to a few optimal members. In the end, the latter actually adds up to LESS tactical choices and diversity, not more; as you'll be combining the same talents over and over throughout a given playthrough.

You said it better than I did. :)

Yeah this game really should have shared exp. Nothing is worse than to actually have to "powerlevel" the characters you do not use. If we will even get additional characters that are not with us all the time^^

Omg and please do not start with this realism again. It is still a game. You do not need evidence that they trained at your house or whatever just accept it to make the game better^^

Edited by Darji
  • Like 1

You do not need evidence that they trained at your house or whatever just accept it to make the game better^^

Better for whom?

I haven't been to a Kickstarter discussion before, but there seems to be a sharp divide between those who prefer different generations of games.

I wonder how Obsidian could possibly implement all these opposing ideas. Perhaps it's best, at some point, if the developers just went with what they had in mind. Or the whole thing could become pretty lukewarm for everybody involved.

Edited by Audiocide

DA2 and ME3 are two of BIO's better games. Certainly better than overrated stuff like BG1 or KOTOR.

wow, that has to be the funniest thing I've heard in ages. DA2 is the worse RPG I've ever played.

Read his posts in the "Women should wear shirts" thread for more good times.

"DA2 is the worse RPG I've ever played. "

O RLY? Then, I will have to presume you didn't play games like POR2, IWD2, SOU, KOTOR, BG1, DTU, ES series, and a host of others? You need to expand your horizons. DA is one of the better RPGs to be released.

L0L @ You thinking POR2 is better than any game. Heh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You do not need evidence that they trained at your house or whatever just accept it to make the game better^^

Better for whom?

I haven't been to a Kickstarter discussion before, but there seems to be a sharp divide between those who prefer different generations of games.

I wonder how Obsidian could possibly implement all these opposing ideas. Perhaps it's best, at some point, if the developers just went with what they had in mind. Or the whole thing could become pretty lukewarm for everybody involved.

I know I pledged in the hope that all the talk of games like Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape Torment carried with it actual WEIGHT when it came to the finer points of the game itself, that it wasn't merely a play on nostalgia to bring in the money without having at least a little bit of substance behind it beyond having an isometric perspective and party-based gameplay.

Among those points being characters that existed as individuals in more ways than just on the dialogue screen, as you'd expect individuals to, and that one didn't automagically learn the things that everyone else in the group did simply because they had been accepted into the same troupe as some point in the past. Would suggest that such a mechanism devalues the party-based nature of the game too much for my liking as well as whatever story-related character growth leveling and actual adventuring provide.

A party-based game with an isometric perspective is fine, certainly, but as much as I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, it didn't scratch the itch nearly as well as I was hoping, precisely because of a few irritating "modernistic designs" that they incorporated, and I still find myself going back to the IE games, or Fallout 1 or 2, or ToEE, for that style of game play, rather than Origins. Am hoping Project Eternity doesn't end up lumped into the Dragon Age category of games, to say the least.

• Like 1

I canceled my pledge after reading the stretch goals. I'm not normally a hater (as the kids say) but the stink of bioware is all over this project.

UNbrofist.

I am also disappointed, but to cancel and go to whine in the forums? You are not a man you are drama queen. Real men pack their stuff and go without a sound.

4/10

Codex Explorer

I know I pledged in the hope that all the talk of games like Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape Torment carried with it actual WEIGHT when it came to the finer points of the game itself, that it wasn't merely a play on nostalgia to bring in the money without having at least a little bit of substance behind it beyond having an isometric perspective and party-based gameplay.

Am hoping Project Eternity doesn't end up lumped into the Dragon Age category of games, to say the least.

Of course, there's that. After all, this game is going to be sold at Steam and a bunch of other platforms when it's completed. They will inevitably try to give it a little mass appeal.

I'm hoping it won't make them stray too far from those names that carry weight with us backers, as you put it.

Edited by Audiocide
  • Like 1

They will inevitably try to give it a little mass appeal.

Never going to be enough to matter and not betray everything Kickstarter stands for at the same time, so they shouldn't.

Mind you, they funded the game on Name alone. Not just the IE games as inspiration but also their own. So there's another reason not to.

Edited by Delterius

A party-based game with an isometric perspective is fine, certainly, but as much as I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, it didn't scratch the itch nearly as well as I was hoping, precisely because of a few irritating "modernistic designs" that they incorporated, and I still find myself going back to the IE games, or Fallout 1 or 2, or ToEE, for that style of game play, rather than Origins. Am hoping Project Eternity doesn't end up lumped into the Dragon Age category of games, to say the least.

DA:O was fine on its own without taking into account any of the nostalgia factors thrown into the marketing.

The problem for me was that I specifically bought DA:O only for the constant mention of "spiritual successor to BG," and I was burned. Boy, was I burned, such that I just gave my discs to friends without looking back. Honestly, I felt completely betrayed and hated Bioware a little more.

The fact that I backed this Kickstarter containing yet more nostalgia marketing shows that I'm really itching too but have just enough optimism left that a crowdsourced venture will actually work. :(

Please don't pull a DA:O on me, Obsidian. I will cry lots. And lose all faith in the game industry completely, forevers.

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The problem for me was that I specifically bought DA:O only for the constant mention of "spiritual successor to BG," and I was burned. Boy, was I burned...

Exactly.

I would've enjoyed Dragon Age a lot more they hadn't pulled that. I was only able to complete the game several years later, when that disappointment wore off. I'd rather avoid a repeat of that incident.

Well, of course, if they received minimum funding, we'd receive less content. Much better that aren't promising more than they're sure they can deliver. Also, I much prefer my Skyrim house to a stronghold. Apparantly, tastes vary.

Skyrim was a great, great game which was also horribly flawed. Despite being a big disappointment after Morrowind, I actually enjoyed the game immensely - probably because it gave me precisely what Bethesda is extremely good at: a huge open world where exploration feels real.

The post-IE games, on the other hand, were simply too different in too many aspects to have that same effect.

Edited by Audiocide