Which character archetypes would you like to see as companions?

What character archetypes would you like to see as companions?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Which character archetypes would you like to see? (Part 1)

• [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BruiserWithASoftCenter]Bruiser with a Soft Center[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SociopathicHero]Sociopathic Hero[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShadowArchetype]Shadow Archetype[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RebelliousSpirit]Rebellious Spirit[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReluctantMonster]Reluctant Monster[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MentorArchetype]Mentor Archetype[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowersThatBe]Powers That Be[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThePaladin]The Paladin[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCynic]The Cynic[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFool]The Fool[/url]
  2. 2. Which character archetypes would you like to see? (Part 1)

• [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChampion]The Champion[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDrunkenSailor]The Drunken Sailor[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GentleGiant]The Gentle Giant[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeekerArchetype]Seeker Archetype[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheStoryteller]The Storyteller[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTrickster]The Trickster[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MyGirlBackHome]My Girl Back Home[/url]
    • [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGrotesque]The Grotesque[/url]
    • [url=http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60058-which-character-archetypes-would-you-like-to-see-as-companions/#entry1187076]Fall-From-Graces Archetype[/url]

I'll give this one some more thought then I'll vote. But in the meantime, there is one archtype I most definitely *don't* wanna see: The red-headed female rogue.

Seriously, do you know how over-used that one is?

BG1 had a red-headed female rogue (Imoen)

BG2 had 2 red-headed female rogues (Imoen, Nalia)

Planescape: Torment had a red-headed female rogue (Annah)

Neverwinter Nights had a red-headed female rogue (Sharwin)

Neverwinter Nights 2 had a red-headed female rogue (Neeshka)

Dragon Age: Origins had a red-headed female rogue (Lelianna)

Please Obsidian, buck this trend with Project Eternity.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

My favorite party in BG/ToB was when I played smart evil. Edwin, the Dwarf Krogan, Sarevok, Jan Jensen. I like characters with a twist to their nature.

The mysterious old lady appeals to me since that is what I am or would like to think I am. :D

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I'll give this one some more thought then I'll vote. But in the meantime, there is one archtype I most definitely *don't* wanna see: The red-headed female rogue.

You forgot Mira in KOTOR 2. Ok, not a rogue, but bounty hunter is pretty close.

What about a slave that absolutely hates you and everything about you yet is forced to serve you becasue of some reason?

And I know there was Dak'kon but he didn't seem to have as much pure loathing as I imagine this character to have.

Or better yet no type at all but everything has basically been done before.

I could see a character like that having a drastic event to their story line where they purposely try to cause a party wipe by stealing or attacking someone in a very powerful friendly or neutral area.

Yes and then they could succed if you are really underleveled or you have to kill them or if you are more corrupt break their spirit even further and re-enslave them to their core.

With souls being a big part of this game you could do some really dark stuff

Yeah, you could probably have some really dark magic (and characters) based on the whole 'soul magic' concept, depending on where it goes.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely agree. If there's gonna have to be a female rogue, maybe one with less memorable hair-color -- or hell, maybe a character like Inara from Firefly.

My favorite party in BG/ToB was when I played smart evil. Edwin, the Dwarf Krogan, Sarevok, Jan Jensen. I like characters with a twist to their nature.

The mysterious old lady appeals to me since that is what I am or would like to think I am. :D

I hope the way characters interact with the main / player will expand on how RPG games have evolved over the years... I mean, beyond the Fallout 1/2x and P:T style -- to how characters worked in KOTOR2 and Dragon Age: Origins. So playing evil or goody-goody could have [substantial] effects (including negative) on your party members.

Archetypes are powerful tool for bringing something familiar for an otherwise unfamiliar world. In a game such as this one there has to be at least some archetypal characters and motifs so that the players won't feel like they don't have any point of reference in the game world that would connect it to their experiences in the real world. Archetypes don't have to be cardboard characters, they can and should have unique features, but their motif and functionality should be based on familiar principles.

I don't like this poll. Every arch type is a good guy, or grey.

Where are the Narcissist, Power hungry, uncaring, brutal, psychotic. I don't want a care bear party. Give me some villains.

Sympathetic villains > cartoonishly evil ones.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It's really just a matter of taste. Obsidian writing is good.

I would ask for middle-aged and old companions though, because they seem to be rare in games. A battle-hardened landknecht in his 40ies, an old hag of magical powers, something alike.

Anyone thinks we will see blind old lady who would give mystique advice on our party's future again? :3

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

This is actually a difficult poll to vote on. I was going to, but then I found myself checking each box in the options above. :facepalm:

I guess for me it depends on the setting and the story. Some of those archetypes work better if the story of the PC is more light-hearted, some work better if the PC's story is about redemption, etc.

A couple of characters I'd like to see in either case are the mentor type (Kreia has made me a fan of this type) and some kind of rogue/shady type who we, the player, don't quite know if we can trust his/her motives.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Where are the Narcissist, Power hungry, uncaring, brutal, psychotic. I don't want a care bear party. Give me some villains.

Play some Obs games, Bishop, Ammon Jerro, One of Many, Steven Heck and Henry Leland. These are good villainous characters. None of those poll archetype go anywhere near them.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

* A hopelessly drunk wizard with a terminal illness

* A deserter from a defeated army with a penchant for looting and narcotics

* A female priest searching for the illegitimate daughter taken from her by the church

* A master-thief / forger / safe-breaker, a gentleman of breeding and manners, obsessed with gadgets and explosives

* A tribal kid kidnapped by gangsters and trained from birth to be a deadly marksman / assassin and master of firearms

* An unrepentant war criminal, a powerful swordsman, looking for a new cause to rally around and a new master to serve

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

An adequate mix of most of them would be great, as long as they make sense; also, their motivation about joining you should be convincing enough.

Personally, I like a mix of "mentor", storyteller/scholars and crazy lunatics (but with a humor edge) that the other companions (and maybe the PC him/herself) just can't stand. Makes for some good bantering :yes:

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Mentor: Every game always has one of these types anyway.

Cynic: What fun is it if everyone agrees with you? You need the person to be cynical about your decisions and also to be there to say "I told you so" after you did something stupid.

Trickster: I think of a trickster as not someone who plays useless pranks all the time (though pranks could be included) but also someone who uses his imagination to pull of unusual tactics against his enemies. Someone who doesn't think sword and magic all the time.

• Like 1

Play some Obs games, Bishop, Ammon Jerro, One of Many, Steven Heck and Henry Leland. These are good villainous characters. None of those poll archetype go anywhere near them.

I also would like see one evil class like Witch Hunter or Inquisitor.

But should characters only be one archetype? I think a combination of 3 archetypes can make for a good character.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

To be honest, I don't really care that much about an archetype.

The only thing, that really matters (and is hard to accomplish), is, that the companion acts authentically, not superficial (shallow?) and has a really, REALLY believable reason to leave everything behind to join your PC on his journey.

My personal (I am aware that this topic is highly arguable) favorite companion of all time was Morrigan in Dragon Age. She was loyal to the party in her way, but also clearly wasn't fully integrated (at the campsite, her place was aside the others, etc.). You could feel, that she had built up a very hard shell but there was always a glimpse of a softer core. Even if you romanced her, it was still obvious, that she was, in some way, too insecure to trust you completely. And, above all, there were some ingenious conversations, mainly between her and Alistair, where she mocked him in such an intelligent, sarcastic way, that I laughed until I had tears in my eyes!

Other companions, that were, in my eyes, well written would be: Bishop in NWN2, Minsk in Baldur's Gate 1/2, Triss Merrigold from The Witcher 1/2 (even though she maybe isn't a companion in the classical RPG way) and many more who I do not remember right now...

Come to think of it, I remember another one: Grimgnaw in NWN1! Even though he also wasn't a companion on the "Baldur's Gate" sense, I was really fascinated about that guy!

• Like 1

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

I want party members to "matter" to the dynamic world content and narrative, and I don't want any party NPC that can be so easily distilled into a 2-3 word description.

PS:T's characters did not feel like they could be so easily flattened (except maybe Annah, but she was clearly designed to be that way; Grace wasn't an archetype, while Trias was but nonjoinable, and yet he was still very interesting); I mean, really, what is Dak'kon as an archetype?

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'd like to a very battle hardened tactician, who may be a bit sarcastic some times, but in general is dead serious about how to handle things. He comments if you take unnessecary risks, fail to gather some intelligence about your enemies and suggests to plan more ambushes yourself. "Why did we run out of arrows! why aren't you using scouts! why aren't you setting traps! why is that reckless brute still around!". In general I like the idea of companions commented on combat behavior. A wizard complaining someone was able to hit him with a sword, a barbarian complaining you're fighting to defensive or rogue complaining he can't use his full set of skills.

Priests, zealots or some kind of fanatics that actually try to convert you, I don't think I've seen that yet, while it should be pretty common.

- The flamboyant gay wizard that hysterically laughs at everything and is more feminine than every other woman in the party

- The "tough" female warrior that really just needs a real man to confide to

- A priestess that is so innocent and holy that even the gods themselves cry tears over her divinity

- The slightly handsome ranger with a five-in-the-afternoon-shave that broods a bit and has a mysterious past. But what he really needs is someone special to express his feelings to. Maybe it is you?

- A barbarian that chews charcoal and breathes smoke. Needs something to fight or he will rape you out of boredom. Has a familiar that cries for him since he cannot. A manly man-man from manland, where men are men.

- A loli

Sorry, wrong forum.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

have not read any of this thread, so am hopeful we ain't the only person to observe that this is The Worst Poll... Evar. serious. not joking. writers should do their bestest to makes compelling characters. let audience pigeonhole as archetypes, but am thinking it is pure jackassery to, for even a nanosecond, consider whether a given character fulfills some audience approved list o' archetypes.

follows is what maybe should be prime corollary for any writing endeavor meant for popular consumption: never give people what they ask for. is no joke. you give people what they ask for and they will hate you. cliché. trite. hackneyed. derivative. DULL. what we as a group ask for is stupid and too terrible to endure. sure, meeting extreme general expectations is a safe bet for developers, but ultimately, to be good, you needs to surprise audience.

list of archetypes? *snort*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thanks in advance.

You do realize that now there will be a turquoise-headed female rogue right?

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Good writers don't create their characters from archetypes/stereotypes. Full stop. And the cliches listed in the poll are all awful. Those stereotypes may be good for developers like Bethesda or Bioware, who don't have any writers on staff. Obsidian doesn't have that problem. Also, it's presumptuous of you to even suggest such things.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.