Curious what everyone would want.

I hope they upgrade "house" to a "Keep/Fortress" deal, that is always a lot more entertaining. Add more of a town aspect, building, missions, the people inside. Have a few missions to gather a small force to defend it. A lot more possibilities when you exit the realm of a simple house. Also having places for your companions to stay, is pretty neat.

On a more realistic note, one of my favorite "housing" aspects I've seen in a game, is mass amounts of Trophies (Achievements). I LOVED how Dungeon Defenders did this. They went a bit extreme, obviously tone it down, but seeing my accomplishments makes me happy. Buy some plaques so you can take the heads of your favorite kills, and put em for show.

Man, I really hope this still gets implemented even if they don't hit the 2mil mark. I want my own castle, damnit! =)

Don't worry about that. They hit 1 million in 2 days time. Of course the amount of incoming pledges will slow down from here on, but with 30 days to go, I'm pretty confident they will roll over 2.2 mil before the project ends.

Its only been 2 days so there's probably many people who are not aware of this project yet. Not to mention the surge towards the end we see in other projects as fans tries to hit as many goals as possible.

I think something like Crossroad Keep from neverwinter Nights 2 would be awesome. But, unlike that one, give us a lot more options to flesh the place out; if we want to have this scummy bar/brothel/gambling den vice-town, or this holy-pure-cloistered-chapel-community or anything in between, it should be doable. That way it can reflect our characters, and also help us out; if I'm playing a sneaky thief/assassin type, maybe I want their to be an herbalist on call to brew up nasty potions for me. So on, so forth.

• Like 1

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

I have a few things I'd *like* to see housing have. I do not really expect any of them, however.

1) Non-static design. Either have a number of different house types available for the player to get and they have to choose which one they get, or somehow figure out a way to have an "open design" segment for it (think something along the lines of like... Ultima Online or The Sims free building). Examples of different housing types could be Temples, keeps, Manor-houses, or even taverns.

2) Something that legitimately plays into the story somehow. As much as I want to say "Keep the housing stuff as a seperate little 'minigame'", It'd be really cool if we're out adventuring and end up encountering a messenger/one of our unused companions who tracked us down to alert us that our house is under attack or was ransacked while the BBEG's flunkies or something was trying to find us.

3) House expansions or upgrades actually taking in game time to build. Mostly a fluff thing, but seems like it should actually take time for your additional rooms to built.

4) Side quests/events to add meaning to the house. BG2 strongholds all seemed to have a couple quests associated with the stronghold, and I'd like to see that same idea of things take place in P:E. Maybe have some/all of these quests involve sending out your companions. Could have pseudo random events, similar to as mentioned above, where your house comes under attack and you have to return and defend your house.

Ultimately: Don't just make housing an "additional thing". If you're going to add housing, make use of it within the game. Give us a reason to care about it outside of "My un-used companions hang out there, and I can store all my stuff there too"

I associate housing with the practical element of stopping there between adventures changing some gear and organizing for the next. The housing should be large enough for the whole party(or not if that is written in! poor gumbert sleeping under the table) and they should have their own activities in the house area instead of following the main PC around in party mode.

The safety of the location should be played with at some point. If in typical RPG fashion the player is entering homes and taking things there should be NPCs with the guile to do likewise. The player and PC are not the only adventurers in the world.

It looks like weapons and armor in the game will have lore attached so there should be a way to show it off or at least store all of those. If the Crown of the Third King has a story in the description don't restraint players stash so much that they vendor it. If storywise an armory of gear does not fit then consider having a museum or collection society that the player gives these items too after they are cycled out of active gear use. If the player really wants it back that is why there are thieves.

Need to keep in mind that if these characters we'll be playing will be part of an ongoing series, it'd be best if we don't hit the heights of material wealth just yet. Certainly no lord of the realm stuff with dominion over throngs of serfs. :p

Personally I'd stick to middle class digs with my character.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I agree, I LOVE this element in games like the keep in NWN2 and the tower in ego draconis 2. I want more than a house, but your own tower/keep/town would be awesome. It just needs to be flexible for your personality.

Neutral

Armour/wepon smith, upgrade for better equipment you can use to upgrade your soldiers

Barracks, improve soldiers training

Inn - place for people to rest

Religion - nature

Brothel - some might consider it evil, but it really depends on how you treat the prostitutes

Harem - your place, your law, a harem can be good or evil, just remember you have mouths to feed and it costs money with each significant other.

bounty board - YOU give missions out and adventures go out to collect stuff for you. I liked this in the keep from nwn2, however it might want to take a page from assassins creed brotherhood where you had your own assassin guild, you can collect assassins and they would level up with each mission and you could send them to tougher and tougher missions. Can have good or evil missions.

faction guild - if you are part of a faction, you can put their capital building in your location.

Good

Mage tower/lab - focus on spells of healing, nature, works on creating new spells..etc

Religion - Temple to a god/being of goodness

prison - work release program, prisoners treated fairly

Law - everyone is treated fairly and equally

Taxes - fair taxes

Library - increase education of the area

hospital - increase health in an area, creates new medicines

Evil

Mage tower/lab - focus on necromancy/demon sommoning/monster making/, etc - is used to reanimate the dead as undead soldiers, created from the bodies of enemies and prisoners/slaves to create undead minions as servants/slaves. Turn prisoners into monstrocities to fight for you, or trade living people to demons/entity for power/knowledge/other.

Religion - cult to a dark god, demon, evil being, yourself, etc. Might require human sacrifice from the townspeople, slaves, prisoners..etc, if to an actual entity, you get missions from the entity to gain power/favor from entity.

Law - everyone is property of the characters to do with as will

Taxes - way out of perportions

Drug Den

torture/prison - break people spirits using torture devices, drugs, and magic to turn them into thralls.

Just a few examples

Edited by Badmojo

Looks like "player home" came up as a stretch goal.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Looks like "player home" came up as a stretch goal.

Yeah but what does it mean? When the terms house or home are used I think of the crappy Skyrim money-sinks-without-any-substance-storage-sheds. If they called the strongholds like in BG2 or a Keep like NWN2 I would be much more optimistic.

Codex Explorer

Posted this in the "Upgradeable house" poll thread:

I think it would be cool for your home/stronghold to be an inn. At first it could be a dive, simply having a couple crappy rooms, one of which is yours. As you do quests you could recruit a bartender, cook, serving staff, musicians, etc. and you could expand it, adding the requirements for the various hirelings, bar, kitchen, stage, more rooms, etc. As you expand it, each companion could get his own room with personal touches, you could begin attracting customers, earning an income, and even attracting quest giving customers. Depending on your character you could develop it in specific paths, each path giving different bonuses or quests. Maybe develop it into an upscale inn, earning more of an income, or maybe a gathering place for adventurers, with rumors of dungeons and adventure, or you could develop it as a front for the criminal underworld, running illegal gambling or learning of new areas to rob, or caravans to plunder.

I find in games where a house is simply a place to store my loot, I don't go back often, or even put much effort into the place. If it is actually some sort of hub of activity and gives me a reason to return, then I will.

Keeps it to a more middle class rather than grand high lord type thing, then maybe in the sequel we can move up to a keep, and in a possible third one we can become king and start ruling over a whole nation.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg