Base Goal Achieved! Class Speculation!

I really don't like classes, I prefer a more realistic system. It really hampers the uniqueness of characters when they can only have certain combinations of abilities and weapons. I wish Obsidian were a bit more ambitious than this. Even if the classes were simply named: Melee, Ranged, Magic, Support and the like that's still a huge restriction. What if I wanted to be an archer who heals and have an awesome backstory in my head for that? What if I want to be a person who uses swords and bows, a pacifist or a person who uses shields and magic, or just his fists? The abilities and equipment of characters is tied to their backstory, design etc. So the quality of the story and the backstory for my character I can produce is limited if the abilities/equipment is too. And I do not like these limitations classes bring which are quite huge if you think about it. For most of us rpg fans the more ways we can define our role which we play the better it is. And since this game is not tied to a publisher and doesn't have as much focus on graphics, user friendliness and wow-factors, and the systems are being made from the ground up, I expected Obsidian to do things right based on what they want and not cling to old ways.

Edited by ArealLechOmit
  • Like 1

I really don't like classes, I prefer a more realistic system. It really hampers the uniqueness of characters when they can only have certain combinations of abilities and weapons. I wish Obsidian were a bit more ambitious than this. Even if the classes were simply named: Melee, Ranged, Magic, Support and the like that's still a huge restriction. What if I wanted to be an archer who heals and have an awesome backstory in my head for that? What if I want to be a person who uses swords and bows, a pacifist or a person who uses shields and magic, or just his fists? The abilities and equipment of characters is tied to their backstory, design etc. So the quality of the story and the backstory for my character I can produce is limited if the abilities/equipment is too. And I do not like these limitations classes bring which are quite huge if you think about it. For most of us rpg fans the more ways we can define our role which we play the better it is. And since this game is not tied to a publisher and doesn't have as much focus on graphics, user friendliness and wow-factors, and the systems are being made from the ground up, I expected Obsidian to do things right based on what they want and not cling to old ways.

This is really true, and strikes me as strange. AFAIK, didn't all non-DnD Black Isle / Troika / Obsidian games use some sort of point-buy system? Maybe the classes will be more like the specializations in Alpha Protocol, where they just make slight alterations to the way you buy points?

• Like 1