Include text field to enter in own questions for NPCs.

name

job

bye

It's not something I feel strongly about in general, but I'd be a bit concerned about it diluting the quality of the dialogue in a game that I expect to be heavily based on it. A keyword system is functional enough in a context where NPCs can be a bit like bulletin boards - Morrowind for example - but having those bulletin board type responses would be jarring in a game like Torment, where you'd have the elegant, flowing "regular" dialogue then a totally out of context rote Q&A session.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Seems a little awkward for the type of game they are aiming for. Keywords had their place in gaming history but it was clunky. The level of programming doesn't yet exist which would make this seamless and unobtrusive.

Edited by Grimnir

All the stars, Fearlessly bright, They call me out there.

The idea seems cool in theory but in practice with games that use them; it just doesn't work as well as other system. A simple spelling mistake can screw things up, and it would take a lot for them to program keyword reactions. While the usual IE style dialogue tree has its limits as well at least the player going in can easily tell what their limits sre and don't have to waste time on silly stuff as spamming random words for ****s and giggles.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't think this style of writing fits with Obsidian's trademark stuff, and besides... we all saw this feature in Fallout, it was basically useless. I could imagine them going with an Ultima VII-style conversation system (or Elder Scrolls-style), but I don't get the sense they intend that for this project at all.

The idea seems cool in theory but in practice with games that use them; it just doesn't work as well as other system. A simple spelling mistake can screw things up, and it would take a lot for them to program keyword reactions. While the usual IE style dialogue tree has its limits as well at least the player going in can easily tell what their limits sre and don't have to waste time on silly stuff as spamming random words for ****s and giggles.

What he said.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It didn't work in Fallout.

I was just about to mention Fallout damn you :p

It was put to use exactly once if I remember correctly ("red ryder" or some such).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This type of thing needs a few decades before it's remotely effective IMO

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Yeah, it 'worked' in FO the couple of times the ENTIRE game that it was useful in its randomness. I NEVER bothered to use it. L0L If it's soemthing a player doesn't bother to use not really useful. FO would be way worse if it did away with dialogue trees and only used this. Ultima was fun in spite of it as well. I have never seen a game that is better because it uses this system. Ever.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Keyword-based dialogue systems are (or rather can be) fantastic, but not for the sort of game PE is setting out to be. I'd rather the designers stick with the dialogue trees and make them kick all kinds of tuchus (which we already know they can do) instead of trying to shoehorn in keywords.

Edited by LadySpace

I haven't earned an entertaining and meaningful signature yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will indeed.