[Merged] PROTIP: Replace the "Player House" stretch goal with multi-language support

Please don't waste any money translating the game. Only do that if you think you can get additional funding to the project to more than compensate for the effort.

• Like 7

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Is that a royal "we?" It must be, since I don't recall electing you to speak for me. I happen to love housing options in games.

That said, multi-language support would be nice.

When he said "we" he was talking about him, me and all the other people with good taste in RPGs that funded this game. Eternity: Hearthfire is a terrible idea. All the best RPGs didn't have houses you could buy and raise families in. This isn't the Sims. Edited by Grimlorn
  • Like 1

"Multi-language support is a must for every major Kickstarter project. It's about accessibility."

No. Not really a must. Obsidian is a NA company where majority of people speak and write english. They can be really successful just fine selling their game to that audience a lone. Multi language support is a nice bonus to expand potential market but it is NOT a must. Your definition of 'must' is weird.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Too late. They already announced it.

Also, they should forget multilanguage support and do a VGA graphics version for old schoolers. No wait, they should ditch multilanguage support and instead include an optional console controller UI. No wait, they should ditch multilanguage support and include oranges instead. Apples. I meant they should ditch apples and do oranges.

• Like 4

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to adopting kids and bringing them back to my large estate where I can live with them in a completely non-creepy fashion. I mean... for immersion, of course!

No, seriously, it's already done... but I never asked for this. :(

Edited by sea
  • Like 2

Too late. They already announced it.

Also, they should forget multilanguage support and do a VGA graphics version for old schoolers. No wait, they should ditch multilanguage support and instead include an optional console controller UI. No wait, they should ditch multilanguage support and include oranges instead. Apples. I meant they should ditch apples and do oranges.

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of "this" ... and by "this" I mean, people expecting this game to be all things to all people. I'm already seeing people using words like "flawless" and "perfect" in describing expectations. As if just because the game is being funded by the consumer, that Obsidian will somehow be able to make a game that will cure cancer or something.

I'll just be happy if the game has a great story and is fun to play, the rest is pretty much gravy.

Edited by nikolokolus
  • Like 5

I'm not entirely against the house stretch goal. If it's just like it is in Skyrim then...bleh, but if it's more like Obsidian's approach like The Sink or Crossroad's Keep where you actually had extra questlines and choices to pursue then it's great.

Multilanguage support isn't as important to me personally since English is my main language and all but I can definitely see it as being an important feature for many others and I definitely think it should be a stretch goal, if not one of the earlier goals then at least later on.

• Like 3

Crossroad Keep was the basis of half of Neverwinter Nights 2 and was its own little mini-game all in itself. It was integral to the story and had a lot of useful gameplay functions too. "Player house" doesn't really cover the same ground... I'd rather not have a little log cabin with a storage chest or something. I realize they just threw this in there to appeal to the LARPing crowd, but I'd much prefer they focus their efforts on substantive content rather than gimmicky stuff.

• Like 5

I don't really know who the audience for a translation would be. If you're intelligent enough to use a computer, you probably also know English.

It'll incur alot of extra costs to get good translations, and dubbing is can be questionable.

Also, I think anyone pledging through Kickstarter probably knows english well enough to be able to play and enjoy this game in english.

I'm not against having multi-lingual options, but if budgets are an issue, I have to kinda side with english-only -- especially in a game where story and lore will matter this much.

• Like 1

Multi-langual is necessary. While most of the world understand english to a degree or another, there is a difference between understanding english and liking playing a whole game in english. They would cut themselves off from maybe 40% of their public.

If the game is supposed to be targeted at a mature audience enjoying RPG games, isn't it a fair assumption that they'll understand English well enough to play?

I was playing BG/Fallout in my early teens with English as a second language, and while I didn't get all nuances I could still enjoy the games.

I completely disagree and believe it'd be an unnecessary money drain, unless there's is just so much money that they don't know what to do about it.

And an honest question, is there really any market that is so big on it's own that it could actually sustain the cost of translated game, intended for a mature audience of RPG players?

• Like 3

Um

I don't really get the obsession over owning a house in a computer game. OTOH, a well developed, functional stronghold similar to the Crossroad Keep in NWN2, would be nice.

That said, proper localization is important if Obsidian wants the game to succeed in the EU. I definitively suggest looking into it.

• Like 1

That said, proper localization is important if Obsidian wants the game to succeed in the EU. I definitively suggest looking into it.

Really? Which languages?

What I've seen games are generally translated to French, German and Spanish. Looking at Wikipedia for those countries we get:

France: 65 million

Spain: 47 million

Germany: 82 million

The European Union: 503 million

So if they're to aim for those three languages it'd cover about 39% of the population of Europe. Is there bang enough for the buck?

And if we're contemplating doing just one translation I'm guessing Spanish would make the most sense considering the Latino countries, right? And then there's always Asia

Um