Should gold have a weight?  

554 members have voted

1. 1. Should gold have a weight?

• Gold should have a weight, determined by game difficulty level.
    • Gold should have a weight, no matter the difficulty level.
    • I am indifferent to gold having a weight.
    • I believe gold should *not* have a weight

I think the game should have a complex currency system of copper, silver, gold, and platinum and gems if it's going to bother with gold having weight - just like in D&D.

The beauty of the system in D&D is that, while things have weight, you can decrease the weight you're carrying by just moving it up to the next kind of coin. Also, instead of selling all your gems instantly, you have incentive to carry them instead since they're inherently valuable and just sell them when you NEED cash, or just use them as trade, same with scrolls. It's more interesting than "I have X gold that magically appears when I want it to".

That said, I'd really like a system where we don't have to buy pouches and scroll boxes >_< I mean, seriously? Scrolls take up 1 whole slot that a piece of armor could take up? No. A scroll box should just make it so my scrolls are ORGANIZED - as in I can find the scroll I want instantly during a battle and use it, rather than having to sift through the pile bunch by bunch.

Everyone who is voting no. Seems to be under the impression this game would use an unfun manner of weighted gold that PAST games have used.

Expand your minds a little. Jeez.

Unless they go over-board and include flying invisible donkeys that carry your gold for you I am not sure how exactly they are supposed to make gold with weight 'fun'.

Everyone who is voting no. Seems to be under the impression this game would use an unfun manner of weighted gold that PAST games have used.

Unless they go over-board and include flying invisible donkeys that carry your gold for you I am not sure how exactly they are supposed to make gold with weight 'fun'.

Unless gold is worthless and insanely heavy, why wouldn't having a genuine system of currency be a little more interesting? Why not carry that emerald worth 200 gold since it weighs less and just sell it when you're bartering for that +2 longsword... ya know?

I do think gold should have weight, and to deal with this there should be banks in the game world. This will add another element that will help the game feel more realistic in my opinion. It may seem like busy work to some, but, just think of it this way, with banks will come more options, such as robbing them, trying to cash in NPC's bank notes, and getting different quest from bankers. Also seeing a bank in every city will undoubtedly make it feel like a more living world. I suppose if one gets enough money or finishes a quest they could acquire a "bag of holding" that takes the weight away if they want to carry it all with them. Still, I think having gold weigh something will add to the gaming experience more than detract.

• Like 1

The Obsidian Orders Royal Pain

"Ouch"

Unless gold is worthless and insanely heavy, why wouldn't having a genuine system of currency be a little more interesting? Why not carry that emerald worth 200 gold since it weighs less and just sell it when you're bartering for that +2 longsword... ya know?

hum....I can see the worth in that in expert mode but then I would go back to the point about means of transport. Why would you as a daring, smart adventurer go to a dungeon without the means to transport the goods? If they do add means of transport though then you would still have the smart decision making included only here it would involve managing the hiring of a donkey, keeping it alive (maybe, sounds like a pain in the arse tbh but that's what the expert mode is for) and whatever else the devs can think of.

I do think gold should have weight, and to deal with this there should be banks in the game world. This will add another element that will help the game feel more realistic in my opinion. It may seem like busy work to some, but, just think of it this way, with banks will come more options, such as robbing them, trying to cash in NPC's bank notes, and getting different quest from bankers. Also seeing a bank in every city will undoubtedly make it feel like a more living world. I suppose if one gets enough money or finishes a quest they could acquire a "bag of holding" that takes the weight away if they want to carry it all with them. Still, I think having gold weigh something will add to the gaming experience more than detract.

Why use gold weight to add banks and the possibilities involved with them? Why not just make banks act like banks and have them provide interest on the money stored.

I think the banks idea is falid as long as the impact on gameplay is more than just simply requiring more movement back and forth. I think that's redwuld's idea, and I agree!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I can understand having the player make strategic decisions. Deciding whether or not to rest in a dungeon and risk getting jumped by some mobs is a strategic decisions. Deciding whether or not to use your consumable abilities/magic on a lesser encounter when the main boss awaits is a strategic decision.

Inventory management can be well implemented as well. Having to decide whether or not too use limited inventory space and funds to get antidotes, curatives and the like is a strategic decision. Choosing to take alternative weapons vs. additional consumables can similarly be done well.

Having him run to a bank to drop off his gold is not a strategic decision along these lines. It is an errand.

When weighing things between what is a challenge and what is mindless tedium, simply look up the definition for challenge:

a summons that is often threatening, provocative, stimulating, or inciting.

I do not see how carrying weighted gold fits under that definition.

I think the banks idea is falid as long as the impact on gameplay is more than just simply requiring more movement back and forth. I think that's redwuld's idea, and I agree!

If banks somehow worked into factions and conflicts and plots that would be awesome. Maybe choosing what bank (even with some legit and some less-than-official) to store your money in can have an effect...

As far as weight goes I've always felt like bulkiness of items would become prohibitive long before weight does.

Edited by Shardbearer

Herald of the Obsidian Order

Why use gold weight to add banks and the possibilities involved with them? Why not just make banks act like banks and have them provide interest on the money stored.

I'd be fine with just adding banks myself, they being much more important then money weighing something. However, most of these type of games don't have banks in them, and I figured the main reason why is that gold has no weight in them. Give gold weight and you will NEED banks. So that is the main reason why I support gold having weight. I think banks could be very interesting addition to this game.

As far as some thinking they will have to go to the banks too often, well I believe people are too used to having to pay HUGE sums of gold for just about everything. As an example, I believe that instead of having to pay 1,000 gold coins for a suit of plate mail one should have to pay 100. What I'm saying is that if inflation wasn't quite so huge, enemies wouldn't be needing to drop huge mounds of gold, and thus you could go much further without worrying about its weight. And finally I added the "Bag of Holding" as a quest reward idea so that once you get to a certain level and you are finding too much gold to carry for long this quest will pop up, or maybe it will be given by a bank when you have a certain amount of gold in it. Thus this will make it so one doesn't need to run to the bank when you are finally getting huge amounts of the golden cash.

Like I said before though, if they gave me a choice between money weighing something or just adding banks, I'd choose banks every time. I think they would add so much more than just dead weight.

The Obsidian Orders Royal Pain

"Ouch"

I'd be fine with just adding banks myself, they being much more important then money weighing something. However, most of these type of games don't have banks in them, and I figured the main reason why is that gold has no weight in them. Give gold weight and you will NEED banks. So that is the main reason why I support gold having weight. I think banks could be very interesting addition to this game.

As far as some thinking they will have to go to the banks too often, well I believe people are too used to having to pay HUGE sums of gold for just about everything. As an example, I believe that instead of having to pay 1,000 gold coins for a suit of plate mail one should have to pay 100. What I'm saying is that if inflation wasn't quite so huge, enemies wouldn't be needing to drop huge mounds of gold, and thus you could go much further without worrying about its weight. And finally I added the "Bag of Holding" as a quest reward idea so that once you get to a certain level and you are finding too much gold to carry for long this quest will pop up, or maybe it will be given by a bank when you have a certain amount of gold in it. Thus this will make it so one doesn't need to run to the bank when you are finally getting huge amounts of the golden cash.

Like I said before though, if they gave me a choice between money weighing something or just adding banks, I'd choose banks every time. I think they would add so much more than just dead weight.

"Give gold weight and you will NEED banks." No, if you add weight you add the need for a cast-iron with triple locks trunk at your house with a golem standing guard. Giving gold weight doesn't make banks useful unless you eliminate any and all storage means in the game other than banks. I support the idea of banks though. What the devs would do with them, quests/whatever could be interesting.

Your inflation point is interesting also, I would ask though..if the devs adjust the amount of currency and its value down to accommodate the weight mechanic as well as make gold more valuable over-all why do it because of weight? Why not just make gold valuable and as in life 'rare'. You would have the same effects without the nuisance, which you could add in expert mode if you really wanted to since sawyer did say they would make individual features within any given mode selectable.

If the devs do add weight to gold then a 'bag of holding' would be a pretty damn valuable reward, only thing I'd say is that they don't make it an easy item to acquire. This bag would be worth a lot.

hum....I can see the worth in that in expert mode but then I would go back to the point about means of transport. Why would you as a daring, smart adventurer go to a dungeon without the means to transport the goods? If they do add means of transport though then you would still have the smart decision making included only here it would involve managing the hiring of a donkey, keeping it alive (maybe, sounds like a pain in the arse tbh but that's what the expert mode is for) and whatever else the devs can think of.

I as a brave and strong adventurer, would assume that me and my companions could carry the loot between all of our combined strengths - the only time that being not true, would be going after an old dragon who had a massive hoard... Mages with Tensor's floating disks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm) also make transport nice and easy if we found more than we could take by ourselves, and having a bag of holding or a portable hole also makes life easier. Assuming access to none of those things, we could take a carriage to the site, kill the dragon, load the carriage, and then have to defend it from bandits on the way back to town. ;D Honestly, if we are killing a dragon we should have access to that kind of equipment by that point...

How am I supposed to walk around with 10,000,000 golds, 10 suit of armors, 30 weapons and 100 potions if everything have weight?

Lol, you simply don't! You make a conscious choice based on a number of factors that will inevitably lead to answering this question:

What's more important to me right now given my current circumstances?

So I am all for gold to have weight within the right difficulty level - I immediately think of F:NV and the Hardcore Mode that could be enabled, the whole time I played Fallout 3 (when it was first released and prior to the proliferance of Mods) that's exactly what I wanted!!

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have read that the setting for the game is late Middle Ages but has not yet reached the level of a reniassance, so would banks even be viable in such a setting??

I as a brave and strong adventurer, would assume that me and my companions could carry the loot between all of our combined strengths - the only time that being not true, would be going after an old dragon who had a massive hoard... Mages with Tensor's floating disks (http://www.d20srd.or...loatingDisk.htm) also make transport nice and easy if we found more than we could take by ourselves, and having a bag of holding or a portable hole also makes life easier. Assuming access to none of those things, we could take a carriage to the site, kill the dragon, load the carriage, and then have to defend it from bandits on the way back to town. ;D Honestly, if we are killing a dragon we should have access to that kind of equipment by that point...

I am all for floating discs/whatever. That aside, I would quibble that unless the dungeon is teeny or devoid of any of the standard loot like armour/weapons/artifacts then there's no way your group of strong and brave adventurers would ever be able to haul ALL the loot without multiple trips. Armour especially weighs a lot, not so much when distributed all around your body but that's not happening if you're lugging it back to town in a sack and this multiple trips business I really don't want to see.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have read that the setting for the game is late Middle Ages but has not yet reached the level of a reniassance, so would banks even be viable in such a setting??

Not entirely sure. I know the Knights Templar acted as lenders to kingdoms (and were killed off by the French King/Pope as a result) but did they lend to individuals/businesses?

Again, going back and forth in and out of a dungeon = tedium.

Look, advocating staying true to the IE games is good. However, trying to get even more hardcore is just not necessary. Next thing you know, someone is gonna suggest that there should be no in game map and players should sit there with a pen and grid paper to figure out where theyre going...

The IE games were a wonderful mix of story and combat mechanics that didn't try to go overboard like, I dunno, those old school Realms of Arkania games or something. There is just no rational need to include something like weight for gold. It does not add any actual challenge or help engage the player.

Again, going back and forth in and out of a dungeon = tedium.

Look, advocating staying true to the IE games is good. However, trying to get even more hardcore is just not necessary. Next thing you know, someone is gonna suggest that there should be no in game map and players should sit there with a pen and grid paper to figure out where theyre going...

The IE games were a wonderful mix of story and combat mechanics that didn't try to go overboard like, I dunno, those old school Realms of Arkania games or something. There is just no rational need to include something like weight for gold. It does not add any actual challenge or help engage the player.

Well, a map that doesn't have a little magical arrow on it saying where exactly you are and in which direction you're facing sounds to me like something else for the expert mode.

Edited by sanian

It would seem lots of people don't want to make "hard" decisions when it comes to inventory management. Only hard choices when it comes to dialogue and combat?

Tell me how one extra hard decision is going to ruin your experience?

How about one could only carry two sets of armor. One he's wearing and one in a backpack.

Of course these features could be i the expert or hardcore modes if people are really THAT put off by a little inventory management.

Or depending on strength level and type of clothing they're wearing/type of backpack.

Either 1 2 or 3 sets of bulky armor carryable on person.

The back and forth between these dungeons i believe is not fun, but you technically brought it upon yourself because of your "must hoard everything i ever come across" attitude.

If you must hoard everything a quick "dungeon exit" button when not engaged in combat could easily take you to your carriage to load up the loot youve amassed so far, then a quick "back to progress point" button to quickly get back to the action.

This I must carry everything attitude strikes me as one very cry baby and two incredibly stupid and attempting to impose hoarder

mentality on us all.

I would totally like to see the "cry baby" as the title for easy/noob mode.