Should gold have a weight?  

554 members have voted

1. 1. Should gold have a weight?

• Gold should have a weight, determined by game difficulty level.
    • Gold should have a weight, no matter the difficulty level.
    • I am indifferent to gold having a weight.
    • I believe gold should *not* have a weight

I'm neutral as long as its balanced and doesn't distract from the gameplay to deal with changing coins from pockets to balance things around.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have to choose no on this one. I can see the logic behind weighted currency, but it ultimately just becomes annoying busy work if you have to keep running gold to storage and running back to collect it when you want to buy something expensive. If there is a system like a bank that is recognized in every town and will automatically remove gold from your bank account when you buy something it would not be so bad, I suppose. Otherwise, it's just tedious. And I say that as someone who legitimately does enjoy item/inventory management!

i think gold should not have a weight, but instead require you to have a money bag on you in the inventory to store it inside(or else it really takes your inventory space faster). And of course the bigger the money bag the more gold you can store inside. There could be also events where you have your bag stolen from you or ripped(you drop x gold every y steps taken).

Roman coins had a weight of about 3.5g. That's around 386 coins per kg, or 130 per pound. If they use realistic coin masses then it should only start to matter when the total reaches 1,000s of coins. The weight will provide a motivation to spend some loot on magical bags of holding, but otherwise it's a nit except at high levels.

For simplicity, there could just be a cap on the total coins the party can lug around. Or the game could apply a penalty to overland movement rates based on total coinage. In the case of treasure like huge dragon hoards, the game could switch to using gold bars that have significant weight.

:cat:

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Some thoughts and a suggestion. First, one if the big gaps in the discussion is: what is a gold coin? This may sound odd, but there is a huge difference between the giant pirate dubloons used by Hollywood and gold coins that were actually used in the real world. I have handled an actual U.S. gold coin from 1893, a $2.50 piece. It was no bigger than my pinkie nail and weighed almost nothing. A sack of dubloons would weigh a ton for not much value while a sack of the U.S. coins would have had tremendous value.

Assuming that the gold coins are small and very valuable, there is no real reason to force players to calculate weight for anything other than truly staggering numbers. That problem gave rise in the real world to letters of credit which were cashable only with particular merchant houses. This is cumbersome for game purposes but could be made fun. Suddenly, forgery becomes a very valuable skill!

Consider making gold a one-slot inventory item with a fixed weight up to a particular number, say, 10,000 coins. Assume players will have gem bags and scroll cases so gold can be converted to gems / jewelry or to letters of credit, both of which have extremely high value-to-weight ratios. Merchants conducting transactions for more than 10kanything I will cash would have been far more likely to conduct their business by letters of credit anyway.

Or... just use a new medium of super-high value currency, say, soul-stones.

I don't think gold should have a weight. It doesn't add any value while making things more inconvenient.

If you are worried about realism or whatever then I think there are better things to worry about. Whether equipment should have weight or take them space and the inventory management as a result of those decisions for example. Though obviously there is another thread for discussing that.

Remember Diablo 1 where gold takes inventory space. Was that fun?

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

On one hand i'd like everything to have a weight even if it's remarkably negligible, on the other hand i'd prefer it if for once we were not rich as Croesus come mid game. A gold coin should be a rare item used by banking interests and merchant houses because of its high value, while for the most part our protagonist might consider himself well off if he's got a fat pouch of silver marks on his belt.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'd not mind as long as the system is well done. How? I'll let more intelligent people think about it before deciding if it should be included.

Hell, I'd not mind to also have different types of coins and not just gold. A gold coin for a peasant is no joke at all . And treasures should be more realistic (too?):

• Wolves dropping weapons or armors? I could accept that maybe the wolf ate some coins while devouring someone but... a longsword? Studded leather?
  • Every lousy bandit dropping a bunch of gold coins???
  • Every treasure being tons of gold and some gear? What happened to trader bars? Sculptures? Silks? Gems? Things like gems can we worth lots of gold for very few weight.

I know it's a bit off topic but I do think that it can be related to having gold with weight.

On one hand i'd like everything to have a weight even if it's remarkably negligible, on the other hand i'd prefer it if for once we were not rich as Croesus come mid game. A gold coin should be a rare item used by banking interests and merchant houses because of its high value, while for the most part our protagonist might consider himself well off if he's got a fat pouch of silver marks on his belt.

So say you're killing dragons. Dragons like gold right? It makes sense you'll be getting gold from them.

I hope you aren't going to tell me that we aren't going to be fighting dragon and other dangerous monsters, that would be boring.

I'd not mind as long as the system is well done. How? I'll let more intelligent people think about it before deciding if it should be included.

Hell, I'd not mind to also have different types of coins and not just gold. A gold coin for a peasant is no joke at all . And treasures should be more realistic (too?):

• Wolves dropping weapons or armors? I could accept that maybe the wolf ate some coins while devouring someone but... a longsword? Studded leather?
  • Every lousy bandit dropping a bunch of gold coins???
  • Every treasure being tons of gold and some gear? What happened to trader bars? Sculptures? Silks? Gems? Things like gems can we worth lots of gold for very few weight.

I know it's a bit off topic but I do think that it can be related to having gold with weight.

In Neverwinter Nights 2 you had people dropping appropriate loot. Wolves 'dropped' leather skins, bandits dropped short swords and leather armour, high-level enemies dropped whatever +X weapons they were using.

So you probably don't need to worry about it.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

I'm honestly impressed about how popular can be a pointless debate over a trivial feature like this.

Weighted Gold? non-Weighted gold? It seems to be so worthless as a feature that I can't even tell if I'm for or against it.

It just doesn't have any relevant gameplay implication beside adding a minor, additional variable to the inventory.

Do you people *actually* care?

Edited by Tuco Benedicto

It should have weight if inventory / weight management are considered integral parts of the game, such as offering feats for increased carrying capacity, heavy but good items that restrict your load, dodge penalties, movement penalties, STR or CON based carry / equip weight limits and so on and so on.

Still, it should be something kept for expert mode because today's gamer can't even open a doorway unless it's marked on a compass, has a light trail pointing to it, a tool-tip describing they should go there, an NPC telling them they should go there AND an arrow on the map pointing to the correct direction, as well as an on-screen quest journal that says "Go to the Doorway! It's to the north! Look on your map to find it, then open it by clicking on it!".

Oh, and there's a bright yellow outline around the door once you can see it, just in case.

Bitter? Naaah...

• Like 1

In the argument of challnge vs. tedium, I believe gold having weight would fall under tedium. I don't see how adding weight to gold offers challenge. This idea offers tedium in that one must visit a bank to store said gold after every dungeon excursion or trip to market.

As long as there are different types of coins I am all for it, it feels somewhat weird to have only one type of coin, I would love to be able to get 100 silver and go to the bank to change them for a gold coin, maybe you could even have different currencies for the different regions of the game to make it even more interesting!

Don't care.

If they do add weight for gold though I seriously hope they add a donkey or something that you can drag around with you. After-all, if you know you can't carry 500kilos worth of loot then why would you go to a dungeon or similar without ensuring you can actually move that loot you find. Giving weight to gold but no mules for the transport of goods is half-arsed.

So, may be too much hassle. Though now i think about it I wouldn't mind a companion donkey running around with me.