Should gold have a weight?  

554 members have voted

1. 1. Should gold have a weight?

• Gold should have a weight, determined by game difficulty level.
    • Gold should have a weight, no matter the difficulty level.
    • I am indifferent to gold having a weight.
    • I believe gold should *not* have a weight

I started playing RPG as pencil and paper games, gold ALWAYS wieghted considerably and that was NEVER a problem.

You just pick up GEMS because they were light (and very expensive) and magic items.

I can't even begin to understand why nowadays people want gold to be wightless so they can pick up every little gold coin...(perhaps they are the same ppl taht want every little achievement..:p) Isnt it somewhat (LOL) more inteligent to NOT hoard 15 milion GOLD BARS in your already magically working inventory? If loot is interesting you wont mind that couple (hundred/tousands/millions) coins were still lying around when you finally left dragon's lair.

But then again: why having only gold coins anyway?

How many citiznes of neverland have even 1 GOLD coin as their savings? Villagers would only have copper coins and barter with you, some wealthier city merchants would operate with silver and gold coins should be really RARE - king's court and powerfull ppl rare. So even if you can only pick up 10 coins from a pile of 666milions you would still be very rich A'ight? You could have anything in abundance. Well almost anything :devil: Magic items are ussually worth hundreds if not thousands Gold coins so its better to have those than gold coins ;]

That's what I call realistic ;]

[/end rant]

But realistically speaking its very time consuming to make such a financial system (f*&k its now a whole economy:p) to work properly and not being a huge pain in the rucksack... I guess dev team will probably have more important things on their hands than fighting silly cRPG conventions :p

Let's see if gold had weight....

- you would need an easy way to drop the gold in every battle for free movement.. that would add a few mandatory clicks before every fight.. so it's better to abstract this

- it would have to slow you down during world map travel which would be pointless unless there is some sense of urgency in the game

- to be fair, there would have to be more gems and jewelry in the loot.. not necessarily a bad thing for those who like bartering and something for rogues to do.. then again bartering will exist also with weightless gold

- leaving gold behind would be annoying and having to go back to get it would be even more annoying

So.. I vote a definite "no".

Edited by 1varangian

Or arrested. Going around murdering people, ransacking people's homes, and ruining economies.

Do they even pay taxes? Carting around more gold than most people can even carry, and none of it reported to the tax collector? Adventuring teams are just a criminal conspiracy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If gold has a weight then everything else needs to have a realistic weight. For example full plate armor probably weighs in at 50-80lbs, wearing a set would mean you would have to have superhuman strength to carry another few sets on your back further than a few hundred yards and that is only talking about 2 or 3 extra sets of armor.

Sometimes we have to give in to the fact that we are playing a game and being too realistic with everything just detracts from the ability to actually play the game.

What would be the point in being able to only carry around 150lbs of gold while not being able to buy anything with it because we can't carry the item we want to buy?

Just pretend the gold balance you see on screen is your bank balance and all traders know you have a worthy credit rating because of some banking/trading guild blah blah. That is effectively what 90% of games do anyway even if they don't come out and say it.

I'd be more concerned about the value of gold in the game rather than whether it weighs anything. I hate games where you can farm up 10000g doing X and then gold is never an issue once you've done that. The Fallout games always had a nice balance with inventory/gold income, something along those lines would be fine.

Yeah, but Feargus already said they'd decided not to give weight to gold. ...Or I guess that was Sawyer. Someone said it. Frankly, I'm against weighted money, even though logically money would have weight. It's a tough one where I just think you have to bow to convenience in a CRPG instead of absolute realism.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have to admit, that the thought of actually having a treasure room where you dump your "excess" gold, because you just cant carry 88 MILLION gold coins in your pockets is an intriguing thought....

But, finding the perfect super weapon in a store and not having enough money to buy it, just because you can't carry enough gold is... well, bad :banghead:

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

I love complexity in games. I love realism in games. I know some other people hate it... that's life for you.

That said...I'm pretty sure if you have a bank your gold could be stored there and you're basicly carrying a peper recipet.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

If gold has a weight then everything else needs to have a realistic weight. For example full plate armor probably weighs in at 50-80lbs, wearing a set would mean you would have to have superhuman strength to carry another few sets on your back further than a few hundred yards and that is only talking about 2 or 3 extra sets of armor.

Sometimes we have to give in to the fact that we are playing a game and being too realistic with everything just detracts from the ability to actually play the game.

What if being realistic IS part of the game? How can then realism detract from the game?

What you describe above is exactly what I want.

I don't wnat to be able to lug and armory with me. I want hard choices when it comes to what I carry and take with me.

That magic shield or that magic sword? What do I take? Do I get rid of item X to make room?

I know some (pu**y) players would get an aneurysm because they want everything, yesterday.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I do think there should be a limit of some sort, even if it's not a weight limit, because in my mind it's important players think about what they carry around. Sort of like that player in a PnP game that always loads himself up with Alchemist's Fire never thinking of what happens if he gets set on fire.

White phosphorus, what AF effectively is in D&D, has an autoignition point of 93 degrees or contact with an organic substance. However without access to external oxygen, it will not light. So, unless one of the glass vials containing the AF was shattered, nothing would happen.

Also, no gold weight.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

What if being realistic IS part of the game? How can then realism detract from the game?

What you describe above is exactly what I want.

I don't wnat to be able to lug and armory with me. I want hard choices when it comes to what I carry and take with me.

That magic shield or that magic sword? What do I take? Do I get rid of item X to make room?

I know some (pu**y) players would get an aneurysm because they want everything, yesterday.

Realism isn't part of the game though, there is only a certain amount of realism people can handle in a game before it becomes irritating and an annoyance. It might be realistic to understand you can kill and be killed, unrealistic that pressing a button resets the world to a previous time etc.

Calling players pu**ys because you disagree with what 90% of games actually do is a bit egotistical no? I bet if you found a magic shield and a magic sword and could only carry one, what you would do is run all the way home and then come back for the other other item as fast as possible and you would call it unrealistic if the game just erased the item you left behind because you hid it under a rock and disguised it with some bushes right? You still got both items but you just wasted 10 minutes running all over the world, very realistic.

• Like 1

I don't like this. I normally like realism in games, it adds to immersion, but I absolutely hate inventory management. I hate it, it never adds to my experience and is always annoying. I get that it often is an important part of keeping the game balanced and challenging but I would love to see a game that deals with this issue in a way that doesn't require me to constantly open the inventory screen and shuffle around/drop/trade stuff. I've no idea how to do that properly but at least let me have a single screen where I can access the inventories of all my party members at once. Also, when adding weight restrictionsbecause of realism, let me have equally realistic options to alleviate those restrictions a bit. For example, I loved New Vegas hardcore mode and I loved JE Sawyer's über hardcore mod even more but why for god's sake can't i buy a pack brahmin to help me slog my stuff around? The plus in immersion that is created by not letting my whispy, nerdy girl character carry several suits of power armor in her backpack is broken by the fact that I can't even ask anybody if they'd sell me their brahmin even though there are plenty running around. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if you're going for realism when it makes the game harder/more annoying then don't just ignore possibilities that are equally realistic that would counteract that. I'm all for realism but I'm not a masochist.

I wouldn't mind if gold had a weight, but then they should use semi realistic prices.

feeding a knight and his family for a year used to be between 60 and 100 gold coins.

Buying a castle was around 350.

Funny enough, a warhorse was extremely expensive, and was often demanded to be compensated if lost in battle. Price was between 60 to 300 for the best.

The 138 shops on London bridge used to have an annual rent of 168 gold and 4 silver in 1365.

Size of the coins was also a factor. It's actually really difficult to find exact prices, but most of the time, the gold was weighed and tested on purity for large acquisitions.

Just saying that if you use realist weight, and you give 10 gold coins to each party member, you should be good for a while, while not really noticing the worth you're carrying with you.

I'm with Sharmat here, sounds like " busy work".

And if you had a character with low strength and you want to buy some expensive items you would first have to go to your house, drop off all your inventory, fill up your max weight with gold, go to the shop, buy your items, go back to your house, pick up your inventory etc.??

on the other hand, if you really want gold to weigh something so it's realistic, why not. as long as you can chose to switch that feature off.

Edited by Tobi

Gold should not be easy to horde. There should always be a risk that somebody will steal it all from under your nose.

Heck, if you can sneak around the wealthie's palaces stealing their well guarded and locked away riches, why shouldn't your non-especially guarded stash be quite vulnerable to thieves?

If gold has weight it limits the amounts you can steal at one time, likewise for those looking to loot your home.

Yes to weighted gold. But the currency system needs to be quite realistic that it is built around.

If you don't want your golds and loot being easily stolen. Invest in guards, patrols of encampment, better locks and chests, etc.

Then if you want to buy something massive like a palace or whatever you can hire a money coach to ferry your fortune to the seller.

This would be of course accompanied by you guarding your coach to its destination

But for those that don't want to amass fortunes. The system is such that you can fairly easily carry enough gold to get by.

A weighted gold system can open up doors for more different gameplay opportunities?

What would be the point in being able to only carry around 150lbs of gold while not being able to buy anything with it because we can't carry the item we want to buy?

Just pretend the gold balance you see on screen is your bank balance and all traders know you have a worthy credit rating because of some banking/trading guild blah blah. That is effectively what 90% of games do anyway even if they don't come out and say it.

I'd be more concerned about the value of gold in the game rather than whether it weighs anything. I hate games where you can farm up 10000g doing X and then gold is never an issue once you've done that. The Fallout games always had a nice balance with inventory/gold income, something along those lines would be fine.

alot of games gives strengh requirments for certain armours. And you can have a possible of 6 chars so... carrying items is an issue?? no, with player housing in it gives more need to actually use the house and chests etc.