[Merged] George Ziets as as the 2.8 million stretch goal

I must say, I'm disappointed that George's Addition doesn't seem to have generated much media attention. In fact, they more or less seem to have ignored the update in general.

He is *known* to most cRPG fans, but he certainly isn't a celebrity. So that doesn't surprise me, but I'm sure glad he's involved in the PE.

I must say, I'm disappointed that George's Addition doesn't seem to have generated much media attention. In fact, they more or less seem to have ignored the update in general.

He is *known* to most cRPG fans, but he certainly isn't a celebrity. So that doesn't surprise me, but I'm sure glad he's involved in the PE.

The problem I have with it is to get word of mouth going you need coverage. *Who is George Ziets* in response to these articles. And then said rpg fans explaining *Well George Ziets is that guy who wrote that really awesome game*.

Well hopefully, the updates so far reach attention again, after today's.

Edited by C2B

The problem I have with it is to get word of mouth going you need coverage. *Who is George Ziets* in response to these articles. And then said rpg fans explaining *Well George Ziets is that guy who wrote that really awesome game*.

I think there'll be a lot more coverage after first screenshot is released - and George Ziets will most likely be mentioned as well.

Edited by Karranthain

Ziets will stand on top of that mountain in that pledge banner-picture and wave in a day or two, I'm sure of it!

Also, I'm certain the press and us will jump on him as soon as the deal's done! We must celebrate the man like those pile-ups after the Super Bowl is killed in the last sec... :D

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've upped my pledge as soon as I read about that stretch goal. And not for the add-ons (I don't want any of those... probably because most of them are already included in my tier :yes:), but because oh how I wish George Ziets worked on Project Eternity! Mask of the Betrayer is one of my favourite games, if not the most favourite.

My card doesn't share my enthusiasm though :ermm:

The name isn't even well known in broader cRPG circles, to be honest.

I didn't know the name until this project started and there were threads chanting his name. And I've been a huge cRPG fan since, you know, Bard's Tale and Phantasie were released.

Hmm. PS:T had many-as-one and MOTB had one-of-many. I wonder if PE is going to have something similar. All-we-are?

:lol:

That actually make me laugh (Remembering the old 80?) song with the same name.

I remember one (by Warlock) but not sure if that's the one you had in mind. German heavy metal wasn't that well known outside Germany (and my native Denmark).

The funny part is that I was actually listening to a Warlock song when I read your post. Three Minute Warning not All We Are, but still.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I must say, I'm disappointed that George's Addition doesn't seem to have generated much media attention. In fact, they more or less seem to have ignored the last two updates in general.

It hasn't generated much media attention because most of what Ziets touches flops.

While you may have enjoyed NWN2, that doesn't mean it was successful and or a overall good game.

That totally awesome game? Which one?

You know the reason why he is no longer with Obsidian in the first place right?

Come on now people.

Also just to *entertain* you:

- LOTRO is considered a faithful adaption of the Lord of the Rings books. More so than even the movies. Since it went F2P. It's been very successful with the model and highly regarded

- NWN2: Was successful (enough to get 2 add-ons too). Worked on Act 2 of it which is from a writing standpoint (in parts at least) the most liked NWN2 act. Was Lead Creative Designer of Mask of the Betrayer which is highly regarded in the CRPG community. Was successful.

-Dungeon Siege III: Sold ok. Not overly successful. The Narrative itself is highly regarded, if barebones.

TLDR: Stop trollin'.

The stretch goal of a stronghold is nice and all, but it is now only a vehicle in my book towards getting Ziets into the project.

When he's in I have a feeling he will plant a book in some dusty hidden library. And one of the book titles there'll read "Who Killed the Butler?".

And if you open the last page, the story will unfold in an uncanny way. The guilty party was all of the Obsidian Order of Eternity, taking turns, like in "Murder on the Orient Express". ;)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

When he's in I have a feeling he will plant a book in some dusty hidden library. And one of the book titles there'll read "Who Killed the Butler?".

And if you open the last page, the story will unfold in an uncanny way. The guilty party was all of the Obsidian Order of Eternity, taking turns, like in "Murder on the Orient Express". ;)

I see what you did there. :brows:

- LOTRO is considered a faithful adaption of the Lord of the Rings books. More so than even the movies. Since it went F2P. It's been very successful with the model and highly regarded

- NWN2: Was successful (enough to get 2 add-ons too). Worked on Act 2 of it which is from a writing standpoint (in parts at least) the most liked NWN2 act. Was Lead Creative Designer of Mask of the Betrayer which is highly regarded in the CRPG community. Was successful.

-Dungeon Siege III: Sold ok. Not overly successful. The Narrative itself is highly regarded, if barebones.

Don't confuse my passion for the success of this project for trolling. I want the best for P:E. I want Planescape Torment. I want Icewind Dale. I want Baldurs Gate.

NWN2 was not successful. It barely even launched, never mind on time. To say that it was a hit because it had expansions is a fallacy. I can name any number of movies and games that got undeserved sequels or expansions despite having a lackluster reception.

Again, not successful: LOTRO. You know what MMORPG's do when they start failing miserably? They go free to play where they slowly become forgotten and irrelevant. Do you want me to entertain you with some examples?

Speaking of not launching, anyone who does a moderate amount of digging can find why Ziets left Obsidian.

We might as well have Michael Bay direct the movie and Nickleback do the score if Ziets is joining the team. They're successful right? They must be great!

Mask of the Betrayer was an amazing game. It had great story telling and very memorable characters. I played that game in a marathon session the first go around I had with it. I just wanted to know what would happen next too much to stop.

Equating the person who led the design on that to Michael Bay is stupid.

Edited by Shevek

Don't confuse my passion for the success of this project for trolling. I want the best for P:E. I want Planescape Torment. I want Icewind Dale. I want Baldurs Gate.

NWN2 was not successful. It barely even launched, never mind on time. To say that it was a hit because it had expansions is a fallacy. I can name any number of movies and games that got undeserved sequels or expansions despite having a lackluster reception.

Again, not successful: LOTRO. You know what MMORPG's do when they start failing miserably? They go free to play where they slowly become forgotten and irrelevant. Do you want me to entertain you with some examples?

Speaking of not launching, anyone who does a moderate amount of digging can find why Ziets left Obsidian.

We might as well have Michael Bay direct the movie and Nickleback do the score if Ziets is joining the team. They're successful right? They must be great!

I don't know why you keep ignoring Mask of the Betrayer when you talk about George Ziets. Actually wait, I do, because it completely undermines your argument. There is a reason why everyone that likes Ziets points to that game as an example of why they like him as a video game designer. MOTB is one of, if not the most elegant stories ever written in a video game. The overarching themes, the coherency, the brevity, is unmatched to this day.

I could write a whole bunch of words here explaining why, but this guy here has done a much better job than I ever could of explaining.

Edited by Tyrsell
  • Like 2

Still Trollin'. NWN2 was successful (I still remember it being the top-selling game in it's first month), even if it can be argued if it was because of its predecessor.

LOTRO still got successful (And before that, like ANY other MMO just wasn't that successful because of WOW), not to mention my other arguments there.

And in both cases Ziets was a simple designer (In NWN2's case he even entered the project late IIRC). What about the Leads and all the other members who worked on these projects?

And I'm still sure you don't know why he left Obsidian. Except if you're actually suggesting Ziets had something to do with a game's cancellation. In which case everyone at Obsidian would downright suck, especially Sawyer.

Edited by C2B

I can't believe it's real, but here it is! George Ziets is back to help make one heck of a game. This is my first Kickstarter and MotB alone was the reason I even found myself here in the first place. I can rest easy now. Everything from here is just topping on the cake.

Dreams do come true.