DLC vs Expansion Packs  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer new content in the form of DLC or full expansion packs?

• DLC only
    • Expansion Packs only
    • A mixture of DLC and Expansion Packs

Ok im reading through and alot of people are using my favorite game as a reference to dlc=expansion packs in fonv.

This isnt exactly true. Fonv had both expansion packs AND dlc. Expansion packs were Dead Money (best damn expansion ever imho), owb, hh, and lr. The dlc was....gun runners arsenal. That dlc added a ****load of weapons and i think armor(?) into the game. It was cheap and added more fun to the game.

So i voted both because if done right they EACH have a place in the game.

we all know games that have done expansion packs very well and to me fonv did expansion AND dlc packs very well also. So fonv shows that having both isnt bad IF its done right.

Also about dlcs only. I present to you killing floor. The game has tons of dlcs of where u buy different characters and new weapons and such. Its totally fine and worth buying to alot of people if they want. Reason is they got the math right. One is that u do not need the dlcs whatsoever to complete or have with the game. Second and i believe is most important, is that the company who makes the game gives away free maps and free holiday events and tools to create ur own maps which are accessed by all just by buying the base game. Its one of those situations where ur getting so much stuff for free that the dlcs are simply there to add more fun to the game while helping to further support the company.

So even dlcs can be done right as well BUT i will say that a majority of the practice has been done terrible. I was just simply pointing out that dlcs are not "full blown wrong/evil every shape and form" and that sometimes dlcs can be welcomed and nice to have.

• 4 months later...

expansion pack

DLC (even new characters like in mass effect 3, DA:O) are poison. they just cut a slice of a pizza and sell the missing pizza to people, when they advertise it as a full pizza. expansion packs are like offering a dessert after the customer eat the whole pizza

• Like 3

I prefer when you can still return to the old content and the expansion taking place after the main story, just as long as I can return to the old content. I really dislike standalone add on because they feel small that way and typically are very short compared to the main game.

Mask of The Betrayer is truly a league of it's own. it deserve to be it's own game. unless you're talking about NWN 1 with Horde of The Underdark

I never tried NWN2, but I know Mask of the Betrayer by reputation.

So yes, I was referring to Hordes of the Underdak (and Shadows of Udrentide to some extent), which is a huge leap from NWN vanilla boring campaign.

Oh,poor options....Really don't want to vote any of them.

Best way of course should be the way of Tales of Sword Coast,an expansion pack which adds onto anywhere of the game,you can go to the expansion pack anytime,not just the end of the game.

You can bring the new companions to the original game,and bring the old companions to the expansion pack, and travel between each other anytime.Amazing.

Edited by bronzepoem
  • Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

DLC don't necessarily mean poor content and high price: it's a publisher politics to turn them as awfull ****. Still, i don't understand how you could develop such few contents, not linked with each other, and want them to blend well in the core game. To me it's way better to have one, two, or even 3 large expansions, consistent with themselves, than 16 little packs kind of useless and that bring the "mod" feeling: "how, is this armor from a DLC here? How weird in this context!". I prefer an expanded world than a badly patched one.

PS: Still, like said "bronzepoem", an expansion does not have to necessarily come at the end of the game. I prefer TotSC too, like he said.

Edited by Abel

expansion pack

DLC (even new characters like in mass effect 3, DA:O) are poison. they just cut a slice of a pizza and sell the missing pizza to people, when they advertise it as a full pizza. expansion packs are like offering a dessert after the customer eat the whole pizza

*Jackie Chan meme face*

"DLC" quite literally means "Down-Loadable Content." If an expansion pack is downloadable, it's actually DLC. In fact, DLC doesn't even specify whether something costs money or not.

To say that DLC is bad is like saying sharp instruments are murderous. "Well, sometimes people use sharp instruments to kill other people, so I just wish all things with sharp edges would cease to exist." No, no you don't. No one hates DLC (except maybe people who lack internet access?). They hate its blatant misuse.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

How is this even a question? I think everyone agrees that dlc is from hell.

They have already been out and said that they would like to do a real, big expansion in the same spirit as the old IE games' expansions. I won't mind if they make dlc though and hope for obsidian that they make money with it, though I have a lot more respect for companies that actually try to add real stuff in patches and instead make money from actual games. I am being idealistic, I know.