DLC vs Expansion Packs  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer new content in the form of DLC or full expansion packs?

• DLC only
    • Expansion Packs only
    • A mixture of DLC and Expansion Packs

I prefer expansion packs myself though I tolerate DLC well enough. X-packs just feel more consequential to me - like they're an actual story in of themselves rather than just a side quest in the main story.

In any case, though, it may be a bit early to be thinking about details like this. Let Obsidian focus on the main game for now and worry about how they'd like to expand it later.

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

No DLC please. That's just a lazy way of getting more money by withholding contents.

You guys need to remember that this is a crowd funded project. Why would you want DLC after pleading so and so amount of money for the project already. Don't know about you but I'd prefer getting the complete game rather than just a part of it and having to buy the rest through DLC.

Just make the complete game and move on.

Edited by Hornet85

DLC, Expansion packs, or Modules I don't care what you call it I just want good fleshed out stuff like the Neverwinter Nights Modules. But for smaller stuff like the Lord of Destruction explanation for Diablo 2 should be done in the DLC format to keep publishing cost down.

I consider the distinction meaningless, as far as good DLC, and good expansion packs go. Nomenclature aside, I would like to see something akin to New Vegas's DLC: new stories, which expand on the lore of the world, and make it richer, which have a life of their own, but enhance the larger experience.

Neither.

I don't want "another companion", "2 hours of extra fun" or any other DLC's,

and neither do I want expansions that add 5 levels and allow you to continue with the same characters for another 10 hours.

NWN expansions were a great thing, also NWN2.

The same game engine (maybe with slight tweaks), but a completely new adventure with new characters.

That's what I'd like to see, and rather as a stand alone package.

Seems a slight waste to make a whole RPG engine and then use it for only one game.

I think DLC increase the funds of the company that offers DLC. I believe I'd purchase only a few but I'd also get the expansion should one be forthcoming (and I suspect more than one would be forthcoming).

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

For an RPG, dlc's are most certainly a let down. Remember most of the DLC's of ME(except for Lair of Shadow Broker) and DA:O. They were a mission of couple of hours length and couple of extra items, rarely adding to the lore or grandeur of the story. Its not a FPS, where couple of map/weapon pack can justify a $10 fee. Those small lore based missions should be given to modding community and devs might work on larger scheme of things, patching and expansion.

So they shouldn't make DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker?

No DLC please. That's just a lazy way of getting more money by withholding contents.

Ah, but if they "withhold" it and put it in an "expansion pack" that's A-OK right?

Edited by alanschu

I would love to see room for a companion or two that fits in to the main game being able to be released on their own instead of necessarily being part of a pseudo-sequel expansion area. It's more possibilities for the devs to expand with. I like to think that Obsidian wouldn't abuse it for quick cash for cheap content. DLC is just more versatile, it can be well crafted companions, it can be areas, it can be entire sequels and everything expansion packs can be. But there's the public stigma against it. Because versatility means it can also be hats, locked areas that require cash shop keys, and limited access passes.

People are afraid of DLC. Too much bad blood. I like the concept, I really do, but it's been subject to some abuse and sadly the good is being tossed out with the bad.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Expansion Pack were of WAY more beneficial to us as a consumer. They would include new content and usually game changes (Like fixing/changing a number of things in the engine based off feed back).

THAT has much more value to me than DLC's.

• Like 1

Expansion packs only please.

As a general rule, I don't bother at all with DLC unless it's significant enough to be sold in it's own box in retail stores.

Minor DLC is worthless to me, and can sometimes go as far as to put me off the game completely if it's released too soon after the game's release. That to me just says "we're trying to make extra money off content that could and should have been in the game on release day".

How long of a wait is long enough?

Though a huge advantage is that complete lack of needing to submit anything to a cert process (although the cert process is a level of quality control for the game itself)

Edited by alanschu

This is a crowd funded game, no need for DLC seriously.

The funds raised will be used to make the game, then its time to move on. Unless you guys want Obsidian to cut stuff out and sell them as DLC. Well I don't, I expect to get the full game.

Why would anyone want DLC is beyond me.

Ah, but if they "withhold" it and put it in an "expansion pack" that's A-OK right?

You just don't get it. Expansion packs are large additional contents to the game. Stuff that you develop after the base game is done and out the door.

DLC are just minor stuff that should have been in the game but instead you are charged 1/6 of the price of a full title for a minor item that wouldn't account for 1/100 of the game.

I'm not even sure if you really know what expansion packs are or you are just blindly defending DLC for some weird reason.

Edited by Hornet85

no DLC or expansion packs...make one legendary game and leave it at that. if not, make project eternity 2.

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

The funds raised will be used to make the game, then its time to move on. Unless you guys want Obsidian to cut stuff out and sell them as DLC.

Stuff is going to get cut regardless. It's inevitable. I'd bet all my money on it being a guarantee.

Because quality content is quality content? I actually rarely even buy DLC, but for example I did pick up all the DLC for New Vegas because they are great and Sawyer released a mod that made them even MORE great.

• Like 1

The funds raised will be used to make the game, then its time to move on. Unless you guys want Obsidian to cut stuff out and sell them as DLC.

Stuff is going to get cut regardless. It's inevitable. I'd bet all my money on it being a guarantee.

Because quality content is quality content? I actually rarely even buy DLC, but for example I did pick up all the DLC for New Vegas because they are great and Sawyer released a mod that made them even MORE great.

All hail Saywer's mod, it made my life a living hell in the DLC's.

Like I said, you are paying way too much for a DLC that only accounts for a very, very insignificant part of a game.

And this is a crowd funded game, once the fund is used to make the complete game, that's it. What do you want them to do, start a Kickstarter for DLC?

Edited by Hornet85

This is the big thing I like about DLC, the ability to go back and pick that up. If DLC had been popular around KOTOR 2, we probably would have gotten the droid factory or the droid planet even!
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."