At first I was concerned my crappy old comp couldn't run Project Eternity, but then I remembered it's not out until 2014 and by then I'll have a new rig.

As it is, I doubt I'd be able to run it. I can barely run NWN2 without some slowdowns.

NWN2 is poorly optimized though, it runs worse on my very modern rig than FN:NV.

That's mainly because NWN2 isn't multithreaded. It only uses one core.

That's not everything though. There are a lot of aspects that are pooly optimized and require very little from the CPU and rely on the GPU for the most part.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Yes, I know, way, way too early to talk about. But let's do it anyway.

My laptop has an Intel HD 4000 Graphics card (Integrated Card? Boo. Hiss.) What are the chances of me being able to play this game?

oh man...

My laptop has Intel hd 3000. How do I put this? It's a horrible piece of ****. My girlfriend bought herself a cheap Samsung laptop with AMD processor and graphics and she can run everything, while I can't run anything. Intel integrated graphics are horrible.

I hope your HD 4000 is much faster than this one I got.

It's really too early by far to even make educated guesses.

Small budget doesn't guarantee a less resource intensive game,

actually the opposite as there likely won't be resources to optimize things too well.

Could be we see the same with Unity engine as with the NWN engine used in NWN2.

Trying to do more than the engine is capable of, lead to poor overall performance.

Obviously hoping for a nice smooth resource light game, but there's no knowing yet.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!

Planning to purchase an iMac 2013 and wonder will the cheapest version (with Iris integrated graphics) run PoE smoothly, or do I need to buy the one with GT 750M? Won't be playing games except WL2, PoE and TToN, but I want to make sure those three run perfectly.  :no:

I'd say that you will be perfectly fine with Iris, the latest gen of intel graphics is a big step up from the last. Also, PoE will likely be more CPU intensive than GPU.

We still don't know how heavily used 3D elements will be in the game (eg. how many characters/creatures on the screen at any given time). There might be some scenes where running at maximum graphics will drop your FPS, but then, if you're choosing between integrated graphics and GT 750M, you can't really be expecting to run anything at maximum settings.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

There might be some scenes where running at maximum graphics will drop your FPS

Even then, how much of a drop would we be talking?

Of course we may only speculate at this point, but with backdrops (and I believe UI elements too) entirely pre-rendered, PoE will hardly put a strain on computers even when multiple 3D character models are shown at once. My older Mac Mini (2007, I believe) could handle Warcraft III at 1650x1080 with everything maxed out and that was all real-time 3D (sure, it's an older game but it's got a lot more 3D action on screen than PoE will ever have; and a 2007 Mac Mini really is nothing to look at in terms of gaming performance).

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey guys!

Planning to purchase an iMac 2013 and wonder will the cheapest version (with Iris integrated graphics) run PoE smoothly, or do I need to buy the one with GT 750M? Won't be playing games except WL2, PoE and TToN, but I want to make sure those three run perfectly.  :no:

I think the most demanding of this 3 regarding GPU power will be WL2 because its completely 3D. Maybe there is someone out there with your desired HW setup who already played the Beta of WL2 and can tell how smooth it runs.

iMac uses Iris Pro 5200 and has 8 GB of RAM, which means that it should be capable to run Wasteland 2, TTON and PoE. Although Intel's drivers for OS X don't have best performance, but still those game should run so that they are playable at least if you drop resolution bit down.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7399/215inch-imac-late-2013-review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display/3

Wasteland 2 has really terrible performance. Shadowrun Returns would be a better comparison.

You mean it is not optimized yet? 

Here is what I got from WL2 forums:

"Mac system requirements are:

Minimum: 

Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 

Memory: 4 GB RAM 

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 300 Series or Radeon equivalent 

Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

Recommended: 

Processor: 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 

Memory: 4 GB RAM 

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 400 Series or Radeon equivalent 

Hard Drive: 30 GB available space"

A toaster could play this game by the time it comes out, which is just as well. We're here for the content and the mechanics, not the pretty flowers.

Probably not. While the game is not graphics intensive, it's not Baldur's Gate, either.