What are the boundries on our hopes?

I cannot help but notice that the fundraising is going VERY well....seeems like they will reach their target in less than two days and there are 30 more to go. Hard to say how much they can rise in that time....maybe 5 million, maybe 10 million. I mean really the sky is the limit here.

Now with that said I seem to remember reading somewhere that the average development cost for a AAA title is 25 million. But we can still probably get a truly epic game for signifficantly less once you start cutting down the insane graphics budgets that get sunk into most AAA games these days.

So the dillema here is simply this: they seem to be on track to rising a pretty epic budget and I would be beyond extatic if they manage to pass the 10 million mark which I think looks possible at the moment....hell at that point they could even look at multiplatform release and a game that with the right development can really challange the most poppular of AAA games in terms of sales.

Thoughts?

1zq6793.jpg

To hell with the triple A hype-inflated sales (Jay Wilson would have phrased it better), but if the quality of the projects is good then they'll leave their mark. If that debunks the 'larger audience' compulsion, great, but that's a bonus. If the kickstarter projects can satisfy their backers, then its good enough for me. There's no dilemma here.

And I read that the cost of triple a games is actually much higher than a few tens of millions. Don't quote me on that, though.

Edited by Delterius

I just wish Obsidian to be able to go big with this one and find much more success than have any other games bound to publishers. I think their name needs to be much bigger. Their games have always been greatly underappreciated so nothing would make me happier than to see a deserving game just once stand tall and look down at all the pathetic, overhyped shooter clones that get blown out of proportion. To just once see the RPG genre reign supreme over the gaming industry. And if that can be done on a greatly smaller budget then that would be absolutely amazing.

In the movie industry we've seen a few independent, low budget movies make it big time because of masterful production....it's time for the gaming to have something like this.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Ok so breaking 80 million copies sold might be a problem but I don't think it is impossible....it's mind boggling how crappy nonsense sells and truly amazing games do not. Alpha Protocol deserved to sell hell of a lot more than any shooter clone out there. Still....while hard it should be doable but the game must go multiplatform for that.....all the main consoles and perhaps even handhelds. As far as the fundraiser goes it already comfortably cleared the minimum 1.1 mil in about a day or so and many people are barely finding out about it. I doubt it'll peak bellow 5 million and should be able to make 10 quite comfortably. With a 10-15 million budget they could pull the most mind blowing RPG ever seen and have it on at least one console.

1zq6793.jpg