psychics / psions

• 2 months later...

Cipher. Seethe. Siphon. Soul Vampires.

I think that the Cipher fills up the Assassin slot much better than the Rogue.

Assassin: A killer, a hired gun. A person with extraordinary abilities. A ninja. Can't find the clip but in the movie (based off an anime/manga called Basilisk) "Shinobi: Heart Under Blade" where this chick has this ability that when she looks someone in the eyes she can make them explode internally (all of their blood vessels go pop). An Infiltrator.

A Cipher could do all of these jobs.

Thoughts?

Edited by Osvir

Cipher. Seethe. Siphon. Soul Vampires.

I think that the Cipher fills up the Assassin slot much better than the Rogue.

Thoughts?

Based on...?

Could be kind of cool with a Cipher specialization/prestige class inspired by D&D's Psychic Assassin, though.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

I base it off that the Cipher, to me, seems like a mind stabbing S.O.B. Someone who moves in the shadows well, casts illusions on great Kings (Lotr). With some martial training they could get past physical adversaries as well, they should read the opponents movements well, get to places others can't by inserting thoughts (Jedi Mind Trick). Get information others can't. Someone with soul eating abilities, sounds more applicable that someone who has abilities meant to do harm in some way or the other would fill the Assassin slot better than the Rogue.

The Rogue feels much more like an "Adventurer" type, or "The Scum of the Slum". Not necessarily a trained killer. Likewise, if the Cipher gets the Assassin kit~ then the Rogue can focus more on the Thief kit. It is a Party game after all.

I would love an instance with a Cipher similarly to this:

* Talking to Guard

Me: "I need to get into the palace"

Guard: "It is off limits Citizen! Get away!"

* Choices

1. [speech] (which in this case is "Thought" because you are a Cipher)

2. "Okay"

3. "Perhaps some coin could change your mind?"

1/Guard: 'There is a secret backdoor'

* Choices

1. "Okay, I'll just go to the back"

2. Filler

3. Filler

Guard: "Huh? Okay, be off with you!!"

Kind of like answering the [Target] Dialogue Character's mind. Could cause some funny instances. A Wizard could react (to the [speech]) in some manner like "Get out of my head or I blast you to pieces!!". A Monk would just be "blank". Another Cipher could have a discussion with your Cipher in silence, making everyone around just edgy and agitated, wondering what's going on and/or just oblivious.

Entering a banquet with lots of people or an area with lots of people, your characters could suddenly enter Dialogue mode and be engaged by a mysterious stranger which only talks to you through "Mind" abilities.

EDIT: Links lead to the wikia.

Edited by Osvir

Hm. An ability like KotOR's Force Persuasion or Dominate/Dementation/etc. from VtmB would be nice, IMO. As long as it's not overpowered.

• Like 2

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Yeah Dominate was what immediately sprung to mind when people started talking about special dialogue options for me too.

Apart from the usual mind control enemies to fight one another or make them have a mind blank, how else would people want to see their combat abilities implemented? Honestly, I can't think of any fresh takes on these kind of abilities so I'm interested to see what they pull out of the bag.

Yeah Dominate was what immediately sprung to mind when people started talking about special dialogue options for me too.

Apart from the usual mind control enemies to fight one another or make them have a mind blank, how else would people want to see their combat abilities implemented? Honestly, I can't think of any fresh takes on these kind of abilities so I'm interested to see what they pull out of the bag.

Well, they were talking about us "getting your Psylocke on" for Ciphers, so it's possible that we might get melee options like Psylocke's psychic knives. But I imagine this means you'll have two main options for Cipher -- melee and ranged. If Psylocke is an apt comparison, melee would most likely be like a psychic monk -- extremely mobile with weapons created with the power of your mind that can be thrown for emergency ranged attacks. However, I would not be the least bit surprised if Ciphers could do short range teleports on their attacks either. We don't have a comparison for a ranged Cipher (yet), so that's much harder to go into.