Are you referring to the backdrop or the character models? I'm less keen on how much is involved in developing a prerendered backdrop, but characters (especially customizable ones) are cheaper and more versatile in 3D. And this is not with copy/pasting.

I don't mind the characters being in 3D. That would make sense.

There's a reason why inXile went with a 3D engine to do the "true sequel" to an old school, very 2D game. There are huge benefits to development, as well as quality assurance.

Which I'm sure the Obsidian devs are aware of. I'm very excited about Wasteland 2 as well, and the screenshots look great. But I'd have no objections if they went with unique, hand painted backdrops for this project, instead of bland 3D maps created with a toolkit.

Edited by Audiocide

I think the focus here is to make a great RPG.

Neither rotating cameras, nor facial animations would have made Planescape: Torment better.

Wrong.

God, you've had 30 posts and you're already annoying the **** out of me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This is how a modern 2D isometric game with 3D character can look like :

(screenie)

Like a mock-up concept art that doesn't even feature 3d models? O_o'

EDIT: Ah, I see you've added a Bastion screenshot. I guess that kinda fits, though Bastion went with a 3d model turned into a sprite only because of manpower/time problems with making the sprites, and doesn't really use it to its full potential (the character's visual customization is very limited, and it probably would have fit the art style better if they went full 2d).

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

This is how a modern 2D isometric game with 3D character can look like :

(screenie)

Like a mock-up concept art that doesn't even feature 3d models? O_o'

Those are 3D models actually. (edit probably not the passers-by with their umbrellas, but the shining NPC are 3D, they showcased the dwarf model in a video for instance)

Edited by Darkath

From Amazon ad on Kindle DX

Lose Yourself in Your Reading

The most elegant feature of a physical book is that it disappears while you're reading. Immersed in the author's world and ideas, you don't notice a book's glue, the stitching, or ink. Our top design objective was to make Kindle disappear

• Like 1

Pre-rendered 2D art > 3D modelling :p

It's also probably cheaper. Which means more content!

Makes no sense. First, the pre-rendered 2D art was a 3D model first too. Therefore building a 3D model, then rendering it to 2D, then cutting it and implementing it into the map is more work than just using the basic 3D model from the go.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Then there's no reason to argue, because I'm sure obsidian has got it covered. It looks like they've done their research for this game.

Indeed, Sawyer sounded like that.

Looks fine to me, camera doesn't need to go any closer in this kind of game (as much as I liked watching NWN2 battles at super-closeup).

I think the camera needs to make the tactical gameplay enjoyable and it needs to help convey the right atmosphere/vibe of the world. If the environments are built for the camera (as this one is), these distances/angles work well.

Edited by Wombat

Makes no sense. First, the pre-rendered 2D art was a 3D model first too. Therefore building a 3D model, then rendering it to 2D, then cutting it and implementing it into the map is more work than just using the basic 3D model from the go.

It makes sense from a nostalgic point of view, which I feel like is not entirely without its merits.

If you cripple yourself technic-wise just for nostalgia, you are doing it wrong, imo. They should use the superior technic, which costs them less and is faster to work with. In worst case, they can still add filters and shaders over the whole scene to give it a painted look. Such a thing is not impossible.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If you cripple yourself technic-wise just for nostalgia, you are doing it wrong, imo. They should use the superior technic, which costs them less and is faster to work with. In worst case, they can still add filters and shaders over the whole scene to give it a painted look. Such a thing is not impossible.

Possible. I will wait with voicing my opinion about this till I see what obsidian is actually going to do. I'm not someone who has so little faith in them that I dont think they haven't thought through this subject extensively and more than people in this thread have, though this is an assumption.

• Like 1

The argument of not crippling yourself technically wise because of nostalgia is what gave us Fallout 3. Which I hated. Of course, that lead to New Vegas, which was actually great, but still, not the turn based top down Fallout we all wanted.

• Like 1

Dragonblade of the Obsidian Order

No sleep for the Watcher

Not exactly. They can easily go for higher polys models, paint them over to get a consistent look instead of using textures, possibly implement animated effects, etc. I still don't think pre-rendered has an edge over 2d, but it's not taht simple.

• Like 1