Let's talk about the map

Then I shall slay them all and rebuild it with actual maidens!

And so did Saint Xantomas free Maiden Falls of the foul daemons that dared to disguise themselves in the form of beautiful women. There to wipe away the memory of such horrible acts did he open the greatest brothel this land has ever known. Thus did he work day and night building and on the last day he casted his most powerful holy magic to turn the waterfall into a place of healing where wounds and diseases were wiped away. Truly will his deeds will be remembered with the highest reverence and respect.

Can I rent a small bungalow in your rebuilt, maiden-filled Maiden Falls..?

Of course! All are welcome at Maiden Falls!

p.s. Anybody want to gift me a couple grand so I can up my pledge and get an Inn in Maiden Falls called "Saint Xantomas' Healing Brothel and Tavern" ?

Edited by Xantomas

Very generic looking me thinks. Hope you're adding some interesting places. Unique landmarks can intrigue gamers and give a sense of anticipation as the he/she advances through the campaign. Ex: "The hell is that pitch black sphere doing in the middle of that desolate mesa? That sh** looks serious".

And so did Saint Xantomas free Maiden Falls of the foul daemons that dared to disguise themselves in the form of beautiful women. There to wipe away the memory of such horrible acts did he open the greatest brothel this land has ever known. Thus did he work day and night building and on the last day he casted his most powerful holy magic to turn the waterfall into a place of healing where wounds and diseases were wiped away. Truly will his deeds will be remembered with the highest reverence and respect.

A long time ago lived a woman next to the Maiden Falls, her fair features were of such great renown that many still believe the place's name is in her homage. But that isn't true: the woman killed herself upon hearing the death of her lover, it was then that wicked spirits took her form and haunted the area. For a long time they seduced travellers into falling from the top of the waterfall, but Saint Thomas' passing during a famous spiritual journey purified the place and slew the demons without bloodshed.

Ever since, the people of Maiden Falls are dedicated to the memory of that journey - turning the place into a tourist trap and a brothel. As it turns out Virtue doesn't sell.

Edited by Delterius

A long time ago lived a woman next to the Maiden Falls, her fair features were of such great renown that many still believe the place's name is in her homage. But that isn't true: the woman killed herself upon hearing the death of her lover, it was then that wicked spirits took her form and haunted the area. For a long time they seduced travellers into falling from the top of the waterfall, but Saint Thomas' passing during a famous spiritual journey purified the place and slew the demons without bloodshed.

Ever since, the people of Maiden Falls are dedicated to the memory of that journey - turning the place into a tourist trap and a brothel. As it turns out Virtue doesn't sell.

I propose hijacking this post and turning it into creative stories behind the map location names. :biggrin:

I propose hijacking this post and turning it into creative stories behind the map location names. :biggrin:

Lake of Drowned Tombs. Named so because it's original name was Lake of Drow Tombs and then someone realized that put them within lawsuit reach of Hasbro/WotC.

Oh I think I got a better one. Echo Bay. One day an explorer named Enam Chonfer Orfen found this place after a long week of travelling. Exhausted he stopped and sat down and said "I need some rest". Miraculously he heard it being said over and over, each time being more faint than the last. "Is someone there?" He said and again he heard it multiple times. He sat there talking to himself marveling at what he was hearing. Nowhere else had he ever heard something like this. He decided to give this wonderous place a name and named it after his initials. What he failed to notice the entire time was the bandit several metres away hiding behind a rock who decided to screw with him instead of rob him.

Edited by 80Maxwell08

e80974b23a251ca3c259c30fecf14bc2_large.png?1347484337

Yeah, let's talk about the map: that's not how rivers work. Look at that. A river that just clambers all over the place and has five separate mouths into the ocean? No. No! No! That's not how rivers work! I'm dying! I'm dying just looking at that! You've killed me, Obsidian! I'm dead! Now you will never get my money, and my estate will sue you for wrongful death. It all could have been avoided if you had learned how rivers work before making a map... but you didn't. You just assumed that you could do it without even looking up how rivers work. See what your hubris has wrought!?
  • Like 2

I've always wondered why we have such fantasy maps which seems to be scrolling beyond the edge of the frame. Like we have in Wheels of Time, Middle Earth. I know an common explanation is that area beyond that point is desolate/unexplored, but even then a rough sketch of the area and lore explaining why that is so desolate enriches the world.

simply because as a designer you can't create a whole world with different cultures, climates, vegetation, mysteries and so on within a few days. you also don't want to lock all those things right from the start. landmass beyond the border of the map is there to give the impression that there's way more to explore in this universe. what you're holding right there is just a local map, for everything else you've to use your imagination. the more the ip grows the bigger the known map will become.

If it something like that then it is great, but even then references of kingdoms beyond White March should be in the game to pave the way for the future settings in those area. If OE plans to expand their world into that territory I'm all for it. I was just concerned that they just don't define that as the edge of the world. :)

Yeah, let's talk about the map: that's not how rivers work. Look at that. A river that just clambers all over the place and has five separate mouths into the ocean? No. No! No! That's not how rivers work! I'm dying! I'm dying just looking at that! You've killed me, Obsidian! I'm dead! Now you will never get my money, and my estate will sue you for wrongful death. It all could have been avoided if you had learned how rivers work before making a map... but you didn't. You just assumed that you could do it without even looking up how rivers work. See what your hubris has wrought!?

I'm going to fix those. Sorry.

• Like 2

I see the Pearl Coast and want to explore and/or conquer it immediately. I hope there are palm trees and sandy beaches for miles on which to pitch my hammock.

On another related note, I see the Pearlwood Gulf, but neither hide nor hair of the Pearl woods.

God is real.

God is real.

You could totally work that into the story too, a great earthquake struck and altered the flow of the river! Or maybe some ancient earth god angrily awoke and his horrible wrath forever changed the landscape. We'd need to meet some ancient NPC to tell us the tale.