[Merged] The races of the world, Please something other then Elves/Dwarves/Orcs/Humans?

Hello, really looking forward to this game.

However one thing about "fantasy" rpgs that has always boggled my mind a bit. With this being a new IP game and Obsidian being able to basically do whatever they please with the game and not having to stick with any specific thing in regards to a set IP, it would be nice if we could see something a bit more out of hte box/different then your usual fantasy races of "Elves/Dwarves/Humans/Orcs, etc"

There are sooooooo many other races that are ripe for filling out a "Fantasy" world, from pulling idea's from Greek/Roman mythology, folklore, etc. Things like Minotaurs, Satyr, Centaurs, Lycans, Vampires (no not the sparkly kind, but VTM:B style), Cyclops, Sirens, on and on.

Then they could even make up their own special unique races for the game, anything you can think of. Look at the recent Guild Wars 2, the Sylvari are one of the most fleshed out races in a recent game in terms of look/feel, sure "plant people" aren't a new thing but how well they incorprated the "plant" look is (every part of their antatomy is plant based).

You can see a video of the Sylvari race creation here:

I just think it'd be nice/a breath of fresh air if this new rpg had a more robust/open choice of races to play as. It's gotten a bit stale always playing the same fantasy races in rpgs over and over. I'd just like something a bit different to play as in the game world, and it would certainly help the game stand out from other fantasy rpgs that stick to the Tolkien style of fantasy.

Regardless I do still have high hopes for the game. Loved BG/Planescape and have missed those party based IP's. Dragon Age: Origins was a goo dthrow back game but DAII was an entirely different story, so I hope this game will fill that gap.

Edited by Stiler
  • Like 6

I really hope you guys choose to excercise your creativity to its fullest and create a world wholly your own. Though, if you must, using the standard high fantasy as a starting point doesn't have to result in a paint by numbers setting. See: Morrowind. It had elves and orcs and dwarves, but without being told they were elves and orcs and dwarves you wouldn't have known it. They were so far from the starting point of their archetypes as to be unrecognizable, unless you knew to look.

I'd take a design where the only *known* race is that of the humans. The other races may or may not exist, but regardless, have them portrayed as mythical creatures and not known to the civilisation of which the player is part of. Diversity is nice and all, but I feel it detracts from the world if within the first few hours of playing, you've assembled a ragtag group of elves, dwarves, goblins, kilrathi and whatnot. If the other races do exist, a later encounter can evoke a feeling of awe and wonder at discovering such an alien culture.

• Like 5

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

For me 2 options are best:

1. Only humans with other races and creatures being extremely rare (like a fairytale eh)

2. No humans or traditional races (like Talislanta) for a completely alien and otherworldly feel

Considering all the talk about souls, its pretty certain that the game was considered with humans at least in mind.

Its just that I'm tired as hell of the dwarves, orcs and elves. I can't stand them any more.

But I would settle to some other new race, as long as it isn't derivative.

• Like 3

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

If it doesn't include any zombies then I will be really happy. It is though, lets face it.

What if zombies were a playable race for your character?

Hmm not sure if want.

It might be quite amusing if it made you have like minus charisma all you could say was brains and some NPC's 'flee in terror' at your presence.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is a playable race that isn't humanoid. eg, one that doesn't have two legs, arms, neck, two eyes, etc ... a non-human race that looks like a human only with fish scales for skin or roots for hair gets a bit old at times.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't think there's anything wrong with the "traditional" fantasy races, as long as they aren't all monocultural stereotypes.

Agreed. Why can humans have many nations of diverse cultures and such, yet elves and dwarves always have a single kingdom/nation etc. Bring on the clan of Dwarf sailors.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with the "traditional" fantasy races, as long as they aren't all monocultural stereotypes.

Agreed. Why can humans have many nations of diverse cultures and such, yet elves and dwarves always have a single kingdom/nation etc. Bring on the clan of Dwarf sailors.

If they don't go for non-traditional fantasy races I do hope they at least do this.

Where dwarves aren't all "drunken berserk warriors who know how to blacksmith and have great strength" and elves aren't "the magical race/hippies."

The Witcher I/II was good at this, even though they had elves/dwarves they didn't have the world/characters be stereotypical. Elves/dwarves were seen as second-class citiziens and treated badly by many characters and created a whole different atmosphere about those characters and how you felt for them then your usual elves/dwarves in a fantasy rpg.

All in All though I'd still prefer to see a break from the races all together and let new ones in.

Edited by Stiler

I'd love this game to be ultimate fantasy game, so I would love to see elves, dwarves, dragons and traditional fantasy monsters, but some new monsters, races etc would be very great as an addition to those well known races. There is always room to take a new spin on those traditional races - DA:O idea of elves being second grade citizens or Sapkowski's stories (better known form Witcher games) where Elves are terrorist alike freedom fighters.

• Like 1

I'm all for innovation and creative new things but I don't wan't to see it get out of control. I don't want my only options to be a cat person, a plant person, or a fish person. I LIKE the classic fantasy races and like the twist some recent games have put on them, Witcher and Dragon Age 1 have been mentioned.

My vote would be don't stray too far from the recognizable fantasy we all know and love but there's no need to stick with the cliche dwarf and elf stereotypes.

I want a base of a recognizable fantasy world with some exotic or just plain awesomely epic races/monsters/villains/allies added into the mix.

• Like 2

I read an article pretty recently that lamented the fact that fantasy isn't quite as fantastic as it should be. You've got this space where artists are free to be incredibly creative creating entirely new peoples and physical laws, but instead they just derive from Tolkien.

So, I agree with what you are saying. And I also heavily agree with the idea that what races do exist should include significant diversity.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Y'know what I never understood? Why the guys that lived in caves were the axe guys.

An axe is a woodcutting tool, first and foremost. If your society spends all of its time underground - presumably you'll have to send some people out to gather wood, but most of them are underground - the axe is going to be a pretty niche item. Why aren't traditional dwarves all about spear-and-shield phalanxes to control their tight corridors?

• Like 11
jcod0.png