[Merged] The races of the world, Please something other then Elves/Dwarves/Orcs/Humans?

I actually love the setting with Dwarfs/Elves/Humans just like in Nordic/Germanic lore. That does not mean the game should or cannot have any other types of races, but it definitely should have these three. ^^

And if there are more races, they should at least be original and interesting. The "Catman" and "Lizzardman" races in the Elder Scrolls series, for example, are just so lame and unorignal.

There are sooooooo many other races that are ripe for filling out a "Fantasy" world, from pulling idea's from Greek/Roman mythology, folklore, etc. Things like Minotaurs, Satyr, Centaurs, Lycans, Vampires, Cyclops, Sirens, on and on.

This is pretty much standard stuff... you will certainly see some of this in the game.

Edited by dlux

:closed:

And if there are more races, they should at least be original and interesting. The "Catman" and "Lizzardman" races in the Elder Scrolls series, for example, are just so lame and unorignal.

If you mean as a basic concept as a 'hyphen-man', I agree. But if you read their backstory (which really should come up more in games rather than just being decorative fluff) those two races are actually quite interesting. The 'catmen' were cocaine dealers and the drug was a huge part of their religion, and the 'lizardmen' were actually plants. Again, just because you use these as a starting point doesn't mean that you have to take the whole pile of associated concepts that have been attached to the race in post Tolkien fantasy.

I am guessing that they already have some concepts of the world so they cant just fill in races that normally would not even fit in the lore or the world overall. I am fine with interesting new races as long they have their place in this world, have a history and so on. I think that is the hardest part to integrate some new stuff in a actual existing fantasy setting.

Edited by Darji

As far as I remember, elves and dwarves are originally part of the German/Nordic mythology. Somebody mentioned back then that the world of Eternity could be based on Celtic mythology, it would be pretty cool actually. I think that Obsidian will take the safest route though and use the traditional fantasy races, adding some interesting twists to them as Black Isle did in PS:T.

Why aren't traditional dwarves all about spear-and-shield phalanxes to control their tight corridors?

Actually, I think if your society is subterranean, that the first weapon you'd invent would be the military pick.

Aye, true. But I figure that that would be more of a peasant weapon, like medieval serfs defending their lands with sickles and pitchforks, or something used mainly for relatively open "common" areas. A tall, thick shield and long spear would be the dwarven equivalent to horses and plate mail.
jcod0.png

I do want human in, but I am sick and tired of elves/dwarves/dragons. Especially the rivalry between elves/draves, when they are in the game, they alway hate each other and elves are nature lovers and draves are underground. Got my fill of those two, enough, keep them out please.

I would love to play a monster race like vampires/zombies, the vampires in vampire:the masqurade Bloodlines were fantastic, would really like to play something similiar. An inteligent zombie would be cool, hell even something really weird and unexpected like a demon would be fantastic, heh, playing a succubus/incubus would be...interesting and definetly new!. I also like the idea of characters changing into a new race in the course of a game, like going human to vampire, or getting killed, but instead of dying, have the option to come back as a zombie, etc.

I hope racism is deeply ingrained and an accepted part of the world culture with none of the touches of modern 21st century western moral relavatism seeping in.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I hope racism is deeply ingrained and an accepted part of the world culture with none of the touches of modern 21st century western moral relavatism seeping in.

Now here is the question... if you're going to have racism and such, logically you would also include sexism no? There were very few societies until now that viewed men and women as equal. This doesn't mean necessarily that women are the ones who should be discriminated against. A matriarchal society would make just as much sense.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Personally I don't have a problem with using established fantasy races. Just because we know the species archetypes doesn't mean Obsidian cannot take them into a different direction. The Witcher and Dragon Age Origins did this rather well with their take on the Elves and - to a lesser degree - the Dwarves. There's no reason with Obsidian can't do something similar.

Elves are the nature types? Fine, then make them hunter-gatherers who never progressed civilizationally and are therefor being pressed into niches more and more. A bit like the Native Americans vs. European colonists, maybe.

Orcs are tough and brutish? Why not. Also, why not make them into a developed, highly militarized and stratified society then, like Rome?

Take a new approach on old concepts. Quite frankly, I don't want you guys to re-invent the wheel. A nicely polished wheel with some new features will suffice completely,

Edited by Posbi
  • Like 2

Elves are the nature types? Fine, then make them hunter-gatherers who never progressed civilizationally and are therefor being pressed into niches more and more. A bit like the Native Americans vs. European colonists, maybe.

Take a new approach on old concepts. Quite frankly, I don't want you guys to re-invent the wheel. A nicely polished wheel with some new features will suffice completely,

Wood elves in the Elder Scrolls universe were obligate carnivore cannibals that refused to harm any native plants (foreign ones were ok though, they imported all their timber despite living in the biggest forest in the world) and ate their defeated foes. That's the kind of new spin on an old archetype I like to see.

• Like 1

I actually love the setting with Dwarfs/Elves/Humans just like in Nordic/Germanic lore. That does not mean the game should or cannot have any other types of races, but it definitely should have these three. ^^

There are sooooooo many other races that are ripe for filling out a "Fantasy" world, from pulling idea's from Greek/Roman mythology, folklore, etc. Things like Minotaurs, Satyr, Centaurs, Lycans, Vampires, Cyclops, Sirens, on and on.

This is pretty much standard stuff... you will certainly see some of this in the game.

What rpgs allow you to actually play as those though? Most rpgs with those creatures (minotaurs, werewolves/vampires, Satyr's, sirens, cyclops, harpies, etc) they are merely "Wild creatures" you fight against. You hardly are ever given a chance as actually playing as one.

Heck look at werewolves, A few games offer the chance to play as one "a bit" (IE Skyrim/Morrowind) but none are really fleshed out that well or a full experience. At least for vampires we had the great V:TMB game, but werewolf fans have not really had any well thought out rpg like game to play as one.

This doesn't mean necessarily that women are the ones who should be discriminated against. A matriarchal society would make just as much sense.

Not really. Think of any historical examples where women culturally oppress men? You can't, can you. Yeah. It's HARD to oppress someone when they're generally bigger and stronger than you are. Especially when you're pregnant. Granted, in a fantasy world this could work if you have a race where all the spellcasters are women. Now suddenly women have the advantage--and angry women are kind of nasty. Or the females could just be bigger and stronger. Or you could have a race where 85%+ of the population is female. Or what about having a race with more than 2 genders? Or even a race that's not gendered at all?

If they're going to explore mature themes, these might be some interesting ones.

I'd like to see some unusual fantasy races. Some suggestions:

Intelligent construct race

an arachnid race with 8 limbs

a fungus race

an amorphous/shapeshifting race

A mute race that communicates through telepathy

Unicorns

a race of sprites

I'm sure there are a plethora of other ideas out there. I, personally, wouldn't mind if there weren't humans.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Ooh, I like sentient constructs. And bringing in the cultural diversity aspects, you could have say a group of autonomous robots fighting a civil war against some sort of deception constructs.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Would like to see something not in the norm for playable characters as well. Maybe even some non humanoids, that would impress.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

I would prefer to see a new fantasy property eschew the Tolkienesque elves and dwarves. The advantage of creating a whole new world is that your imagination is the limit, and this team has more imagination than most. There is an abundance of games with those races already. Please show us something new.

Topic fail. There must be dwarves even if they change them up bit but keep the basics. Dwraves make any game better by virtual of existing. Plus, Obsidian REALLY wants me to pledge and I will only pledge if playable dwarves (fantasy kind) are in the game.

DWARVES! DWARVES! DWARVES!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I dont mind if they stick to traditional high fantasy setting as long lore and background story's of different species is interesting and "belivable". I just hope they dont make it TOO HIGH FANTASY. Talking Mushrooms or Pandas...at some point its just not immersive anymore. I loved what they did in Arcanum, exept magic vs tech thingie... and if there are talking mushrooms, big fet plummers and unthankfull princesez, sell it good...just balance it :)

magic021.jpg

Not really. Think of any historical examples where women culturally oppress men? You can't, can you.

Depends on what you mean by oppression. I can't think of any cultures that mirror the extreme of the most patriarchal cultures in history, IE men being property; but there are cultures where women were given a good deal of authority. Certain native american tribes, for example, gave women the primary say in what went on on the domestic front. And if I recall certain Celtic tribes actually went so far as to define their family as matrilineal instead of the more common parilineal. Naturally, I'm not suggesting a token matriarchy be thrown in just to fight perceived male oppression in the real world. Just suggesting that options be kept open.

I think having one nation run by women would be nice. And, they needed by as 'man hating' s your typical amazons are picture in fantasy either though that could how the nation was first formed. And, there could be various factions in a power struggle to keep it the same, make things equal, or basically to enslave men completely and the player could work for one of the groups dependent on gender too.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.