Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Update 02.10.12] Project Eternity: Known Information

Eternity Crates

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wonder if this game will use sprite models or 3d, if they choose to use sprites, I hope that it will be in high resolution and capable to withstand modern monitors, up to 27" at least.

From current information 2D backgrounds with 3D charachters. How *exactly* though we'll see with the first screenshots.

i suppose something like the graphics of Final Fantasy 7-8-9 or adventures like The longest journey or Syberia. its easier and cheaper to make high res 2D backgrounds for isometric view than make a completely 3D enviroment, and also easier and cheaper to make a 3D character model than 16 different 2D models for each character

l3loodangel

l3loodangel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hmmmm...Saudi Arabian guys? Doesnt see that paralell.

I am with you on "tit armor" :thumbsup: Victoria Secret breastplate + 3 protection hehe

First is Islamic warriors and second is from Lawrence of Arabia:

http://www.google.lt...106&tx=50&ty=44

http://www.google.lt...29,r:0,s:0,i:67

Edited by l3loodangel, 18 September 2012 - 02:20 AM.

SirPetrakus

SirPetrakus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Shame Onyx is out of the picture. I thought it was a rather neat little engine, with some pretty impressive visuals. Has the game's engine been announced yet? Will it be IE?

Now you guys are making me want to play IWD again. Well, games always seem more fun after the 6th playthrough.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4724 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Shame Onyx is out of the picture.

What?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Shame Onyx is out of the picture.

What?

One of the devs stated they probably would not be using Onyx because the "middleware" is too expensive.

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am with you on "tit armor" :thumbsup: Victoria Secret breastplate + 3 protection hehe

I see the similarites, but I think you're overreacting. I think we can reasonably assume that it's a concept for just one of the cultures or regions in PE's world, and I don't see why designs like this would be a problem. BG2 (which you used as an example) used a bunch of different styles as well between the races and groups you encountered -- the Djinn and Rakshasa had similar arabic-influenced designs, the vampires had an egyptian vibe to them, the pirates and seafarers did the whole puffy shirts and pants thing... It adds diversity.
  • Solviulnir the Soulbinder likes this

l3loodangel

l3loodangel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks, Tig. But I am not the target audience here. There is a difference between a concept mage robes that look like mage robes and women wearing Tit armor that exposes the belly. I don't really like feminists, but I am with them on this one. Or some Saudi Arabian guys with muskets... You can't have those without a camel...

In the video, you can see even more of those sketches. The variety in the video does not even show all of the sketches that our artist did. She tried out a variety of styles and levels of dress. It's a high-level, low-detail pass on character ideas.

My bad, sorry. I was kinda looking at you guys more than at the sketches. I watched video pitch 5 times and still did not see the images...

Edited by l3loodangel, 18 September 2012 - 06:04 AM.

mtp403

mtp403

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Source: http://www.eurogamer...14-release-date

Important bits I picked up:

1.) Cain: "We have an engine already..."

2.) Josh is project lead, Cain is prog and mechs, Chris will "be doing writing on this project" (unclear to what extent that means).

3.) They are interested in doing multiplayer but unsure if they can swing it.

4.) Cain: "[PE] will have guns"

Clarifies a few points people have been asking about but have been lacking a definite answer. That said, opens up more questions about the engine for me...
  • rf5111918 likes this

Apatia

Apatia

Lurker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Sawyer about firearms in PE @ Something Awful:

We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe. Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

Link

Gazoinks

Gazoinks

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

Sawyer about firearms in PE @ Something Awful:

We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe. Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

Link

Sounds nice. Like a lot of the world building, enough to spice it up while still feeling familiar.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks, Tig. But I am not the target audience here. There is a difference between a concept mage robes that look like mage robes and women wearing Tit armor that exposes the belly. I don't really like feminists, but I am with them on this one. Or some Saudi Arabian guys with muskets... You can't have those without a camel...

In the video, you can see even more of those sketches. The variety in the video does not even show all of the sketches that our artist did. She tried out a variety of styles and levels of dress. It's a high-level, low-detail pass on character ideas.

Does that mean there will be muskets in the game, or is it all just a terrible, terrible mistake?

How are muskets a mistake?

Their inclusion would mean this is not a D&D game

(the 2nd Ed Php did have arquebus weapons but no one used them)

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Does that mean there will be muskets in the game, or is it all just a terrible, terrible mistake?

How are muskets a mistake?

(the 2nd Ed Php did have arquebus weapons but no one used them)

It isn't in the first place.

Gazoinks

Gazoinks

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

It isn't in the first place.

I think that was his point, that a lot of people are complaining about things because it's not how Baldur's Gate or the other D&D games did it.

Tauron

Tauron

Master Elementalist of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I dont see it that way, not that much at least. Some might be oriental stylised but is basically Gaul Celt http://cdn2.fishpond.../9883044/4.jpeg armored with stylised Roman Lorica Segmenta http://www.armsandar... segmentata.jpg and armed with a musket. So I am not sure what is your point? Dislike for the gun or that you see oriental influences where they might not even be?

Edited by Tauron, 18 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

BMacklin

BMacklin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Very cool update.

IEfan

IEfan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Honestly, GJ to OP for info gathering, the total picture gets clearer and bigger this way.

EDIT Argh, there's a seperate Update 3 topic, nvmind.

Edited by IEfan, 18 September 2012 - 12:31 PM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Their inclusion would mean this is not a D&D game

(the 2nd Ed Php did have arquebus weapons but no one used them)"

People did use them. Why do you talk for others? I had campaigns make use of them.

KateM

KateM

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

I hope not. I do not want another DnD RPG and have to cheese around with multiclassing instead of just making the character I want to play.

I'm also pretty tired of playing in worlds where 16th century plate armor is commonplace but firearms are either unheard of or just a niche gnome weapon.

Nivenus

Nivenus

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Niirfa
  • Xbox Gamertag:Niirfa

I think Obsidian has been pretty upfront that this is not using either the D&D license or d20 mechanics. They've said from the beginning that they'll be making the game with their own rules system.

Additionally, given Obsidian's track record, I'd say it's fair to say the game will try to subvert several expectations about the genre (both as an RPG and a fantasy game).

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
FYI, Sawyer's twitter is saying that to commemorate the breaching of the second goal, our dear leader, Chairman Urquhart, will be recording an address. Long live the proletariat, etc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eternity, Crates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users