Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Update 02.10.12] Project Eternity: Known Information

Eternity Crates

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
How do you have concept art that looks like or not like something from IE? You do realise that's not what 'concept art' means, right?

For instance, BG concept art:

Posted Image

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
DS3 had muskets, right?

l3loodangel

l3loodangel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

How do you have concept art that looks like or not like something from IE? You do realise that's not what 'concept art' means, right?

For instance, BG concept art:

Posted Image

I am sorry, but I can't open it. Maybe you could post a link?

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Posted Image
http://www.rpgamer.c...g/art/bg018.jpg

Posted Image
http://25.media.tumb...67733o1_500.jpg

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
That dude has no feet.

l3loodangel

l3loodangel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

snip.

Thanks, Tig. But I am not the target audience here. There is a difference between a concept mage robes that look like mage robes and women wearing Tit armor that exposes the belly. I don't really like feminists, but I am with them on this one. Or some Saudi Arabian guys with muskets... You can't have those without a camel...

Tauron

Tauron

Master Elementalist of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

snip.

Thanks, Tig. But I am not the target audience here. There is a difference between a concept mage robes that look like mage robes and women wearing Tit armor that exposes the belly. I don't really like feminists, but I am with them on this one. Or some Saudi Arabian guys with muskets... You can't have those without a camel...

Concept art depicting guy with a gun looks pretty good to me, nicly stylised, not too much, pretty "realistic", aka no giant shoulderpads and uber sized weapons. See typical 15 century armies.

Hmmmm...Saudi Arabian guys? Doesnt see that paralell.

I am with you on "tit armor" :thumbsup: Victoria Secret breastplate + 3 protection hehe

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
PE project director Jabby's tweet

Steve doing research during his lunch break. :) #projecteternity

Posted Image

Edited by funcroc, 17 September 2012 - 02:01 PM.

• ShadySands and Olauron Mor-Galad like this

Jozape

Jozape

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
That's the best kind of research there is.

AdaMusic

AdaMusic

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts

Is that concept art from Eternity or another Obsidian game?
Posted Image

Will the game be set in a world where they have discoverd gunpowder?

That is original concept art for Project Eternity.

That looks awful and not something from Infinity Engine.

I agree. It looks way too inspired by current game standard. Almost look abit like Fable (?) having kids with Diablo 3. Not that it is bad art, but it is really bad art for a hardcore RPG such as Project Eternity.

I want it to feel heavier.. like Diablo 1/2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale or Morrowind. Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Diablo 3 all look way too sassy for me to take it seriously. Take a look at real armor.. it does not look like that concept art.

Concept Art of Baldur's Gate

That concept art is way better. Actually that is the perfect example of a wizard or mage.

Edited by AdaMusic, 17 September 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I guess my point would be that I find both of them not particularly interesting, because they don't really tell me very much about what they will actually look like in the final game, or what kind of characters or settings it will be. It just gives me very little information.

Obviously, not all concept art is like that; Icewind Dale's full colour landscape concept art, or Torment's detailed main character drawings are examples. But in this case, I think it's just basically taking a tiny piece of non-info and making stuff up and panicking.

I would think that the dwarf ranger art posted in Update #3 is a better place to start from, though it's equally uninformative. (Is it a portrait? Concept art? Is that how all dwarves are? What?)
  • Nepenthe likes this

OmniscientOne

OmniscientOne

Obsidian Order's Know-It-All

• Members
  • 11 posts

I guess my point would be that I find both of them not particularly interesting, because they don't really tell me very much about what they will actually look like in the final game, or what kind of characters or settings it will be. It just gives me very little information.

Obviously, not all concept art is like that; Icewind Dale's full colour landscape concept art, or Torment's detailed main character drawings are examples. But in this case, I think it's just basically taking a tiny piece of non-info and making stuff up and panicking.

I would think that the dwarf ranger art posted in Update #3 is a better place to start from, though it's equally uninformative. (Is it a portrait? Concept art? Is that how all dwarves are? What?)

I don't think we're really supposed to get anything out of it; it's so early in development that even the developers don't know exactly what it will become in the finished product.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

In the video, you can see even more of those sketches. The variety in the video does not even show all of the sketches that our artist did. She tried out a variety of styles and levels of dress. It's a high-level, low-detail pass on character ideas.

Kopi

Kopi

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

In the video, you can see even more of those sketches. The variety in the video does not even show all of the sketches that our artist did. She tried out a variety of styles and levels of dress. It's a high-level, low-detail pass on character ideas.

Does that mean there will be muskets in the game, or is it all just a terrible, terrible mistake?

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Dwarven race is in and they can be rangers. Their females don't need to have beards! That's all the info needed to make this a must buy. :)

metiman

metiman

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts
Now that you've gotten your wish we all expect you to donate at least $500. We'll know because you'll have the gold forum badge.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4139 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Does that mean there will be muskets in the game, or is it all just a terrible, terrible mistake?

How are muskets a mistake?

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

How are muskets a mistake?

Because the rate of fire of a trained longbowman versus musket is at least 120 arrows to 1 ball :dancing:

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It depends on how it is going to be implemented. IIRC, Sawyer talked of the possibility of implementing primitive guns in fantasy settings. Sadly though, I cannot remember the details.

Moonlight Butterfly

Moonlight Butterfly

Crazy Cat Lady of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I just want to say that I adore the Boreal Dwarf, it looks like an in game portrait to me.

I'm a woman and I'm cool with the mage featured in the kickstarter video she looks pretty respectful and isn't doing a bum and boobs pose or anything :p. It bothers me when melee fighters dress like that though.

I'm more interested in the fact that she seems to have a dual alignment? Is that something they going for with the companions maybe how you treat them and others they become good or evil?
That would be pretty cool if done well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eternity, Crates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users