[Update 02.10.12] Project Eternity: Known Information

Quick interview with Adam Brennecke

http://penny-arcade....t-eternity-and-

(already posted on the forums here, but also posting it here for completeness sake)

Edited by hideo kuze

I have added 4 quotes from Josh Sawyer regarding spell casting and level scaling.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thanks Tale. I've been too busy for this the last week. Hope to catch up on the devposts here and elsewhere.

Art Style

It will be in the same style as the Infinity Engine games, though the technology used will be different. For reference, IE games built the backgrounds in 3D then exported them into 2D form, not quite 'hand-drawn' but certainly not full 3D; this was supplemented by typical 2D sprites for moving objects.

This could be clarified some more. It does explain the graphics of the Infinity Engine games pretty well, but the statement that PE will use "the same style [...] though the technology used will be different" leaves a lot open to interpretation - e.g. readers could think PE might use live rendered 3D terrain as the technology for backgrounds, but in a way that will look similar to the IE games in that it is from an isometric perspective and similar visual "style".

Which is of course not the case, as Obsidian has explained in the meantime, e.g. in this statement by Josh:

"
what we're doing is using pre-rendered 2D backgrounds with probably some 2D flipbook animations in the background,
but also 3D characters and 3D animated environments and props when necessary, and trying to blend the lighting and shadows together.
"

(from
)

At the very least, the phrase "pre-rendered backgrounds" should be added to the aforementioned part of this FAQ - maybe even the whole quote (it's pretty concise).

Edited by anek

'Project Eternity' Facebook-page: https://www.facebook...463757270322911

ProjectEternity_11216_640screen.jpg

The world has an uncanny resemblance to Western Europe.... just without the British Isles. ^^

This map is higly inspired by the Dalelands from the D&D Forgotten Realms Setting.

The pearlwood gulf resembles the Mistledale territories' shape.

The ruins of Eir Glafanth are the Ruins of Mith Drannor

The Court of Sowing ashes is the Elven Court

And so on.

Even the graphic style resembles the style of the Forgotten Realms map for 3.0 edition.

• Like 1

Given my lamentable performance at keeping this up to date, I highly recommend an info-dump that is more comprehensive than, well, anything:

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

I will eventually update this thread, of course, but plan to keep it much more to basic details and frequently asked questions. This thread has literally everything.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

• 4 weeks later...

From Jabby's retweet

Watch @adam_brennecke on #YFEtv 11/15 at 6p/9e talk about #ProjectEternity's @kickstarter success http://yfe.me/abonyfetv

About Adam Brennecke:

Adam Brennecke is currently the Executive Producer on Project Eternity. His responsibilities include running and developing the successful Kickstarter Campaign for Project Eternity, and overseeing the development of the game.

Project Eternity (working title) is an upcoming fantasy role-playing video game from Obsidian Entertainment for Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux, funded through Kickstarter. Involved in production are Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Adam Brennecke and Josh Sawyer. It is notable for its crowd funding campaign, which raised $4,163,208, more money than any other game, and the third largest Kickstarter (and crowdfunded) project to date.

After graduating from honors from DigiPen Institute of Technology, Adam joined Obsidian in the first year of the company in 2004. As a member of Obsidian’s gameplay programming team for more than eight years, he has worked on all of Obsidian’s games including Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and Fallout: New Vegas. Focusing on animation technology, he was a key engineer in the development of Obsidian’s Onyx Engine that powers Dungeon Siege III, and more recently Adam was Project Director of the Dungeon Siege III DLC project – Treasures of the Sun.

Adam grew up in sunny Orange County California. And he likes soccer and hockey. And cats.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed, that comment sounds like Priests will be healers, just not "strongly dominant healers" (like they were in the IE games.)

Of course, the pedant in me wonders what they mean by "healer". Priests in PE could just be limited to being able to "heal" specific afflictions, like diseases, or poison, or level drain, or blindness/deafness etc. Instead of actually being able to directly bring your hitpoints back up.

Edited by Stun

Indeed, that comment sounds like Priests will be healers, just not "strongly dominant healers" (like they were in the IE games.)

Of course, the pedant in me wonders what they mean by "healer". Priests in PE could just be limited to being able to "heal" specific afflictions, like diseases, or poison, or level drain, or blindness/deafness etc. Instead of actually being able to directly bring your hitpoints back up.

If I recall correctly the plan is just to have stamina-healing abilities, but to severly limit the ways health can be recouped. To be honest, I'm not really sure how the whole balance is suppose to work until I'll see it implemented. Hopefully they'll have an update concerning that eventually and showing/mentioning some examples, because I'm afraid beta will be way too late to give feedback on the system.