[Update 02.10.12] Project Eternity: Known Information

I guess my point would be that I find both of them not particularly interesting, because they don't really tell me very much about what they will actually look like in the final game, or what kind of characters or settings it will be. It just gives me very little information.

Obviously, not all concept art is like that; Icewind Dale's full colour landscape concept art, or Torment's detailed main character drawings are examples. But in this case, I think it's just basically taking a tiny piece of non-info and making stuff up and panicking.

I would think that the dwarf ranger art posted in Update #3 is a better place to start from, though it's equally uninformative. (Is it a portrait? Concept art? Is that how all dwarves are? What?)

• Like 1

I guess my point would be that I find both of them not particularly interesting, because they don't really tell me very much about what they will actually look like in the final game, or what kind of characters or settings it will be. It just gives me very little information.

Obviously, not all concept art is like that; Icewind Dale's full colour landscape concept art, or Torment's detailed main character drawings are examples. But in this case, I think it's just basically taking a tiny piece of non-info and making stuff up and panicking.

I would think that the dwarf ranger art posted in Update #3 is a better place to start from, though it's equally uninformative. (Is it a portrait? Concept art? Is that how all dwarves are? What?)

I don't think we're really supposed to get anything out of it; it's so early in development that even the developers don't know exactly what it will become in the finished product.

Thanks, Tig. But I am not the target audience here. There is a difference between a concept mage robes that look like mage robes and women wearing Tit armor that exposes the belly. I don't really like feminists, but I am with them on this one. Or some Saudi Arabian guys with muskets... You can't have those without a camel...

In the video, you can see even more of those sketches. The variety in the video does not even show all of the sketches that our artist did. She tried out a variety of styles and levels of dress. It's a high-level, low-detail pass on character ideas.

Thanks, Tig. But I am not the target audience here. There is a difference between a concept mage robes that look like mage robes and women wearing Tit armor that exposes the belly. I don't really like feminists, but I am with them on this one. Or some Saudi Arabian guys with muskets... You can't have those without a camel...

In the video, you can see even more of those sketches. The variety in the video does not even show all of the sketches that our artist did. She tried out a variety of styles and levels of dress. It's a high-level, low-detail pass on character ideas.

Does that mean there will be muskets in the game, or is it all just a terrible, terrible mistake?

Now that you've gotten your wish we all expect you to donate at least $500. We'll know because you'll have the gold forum badge.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Does that mean there will be muskets in the game, or is it all just a terrible, terrible mistake?

How are muskets a mistake?

I just want to say that I adore the Boreal Dwarf, it looks like an in game portrait to me.

I'm a woman and I'm cool with the mage featured in the kickstarter video she looks pretty respectful and isn't doing a bum and boobs pose or anything :p. It bothers me when melee fighters dress like that though.

I'm more interested in the fact that she seems to have a dual alignment? Is that something they going for with the companions maybe how you treat them and others they become good or evil?

That would be pretty cool if done well.

I wonder if this game will use sprite models or 3d, if they choose to use sprites, I hope that it will be in high resolution and capable to withstand modern monitors, up to 27" at least.

From current information 2D backgrounds with 3D charachters. How *exactly* though we'll see with the first screenshots.

i suppose something like the graphics of Final Fantasy 7-8-9 or adventures like The longest journey or Syberia. its easier and cheaper to make high res 2D backgrounds for isometric view than make a completely 3D enviroment, and also easier and cheaper to make a 3D character model than 16 different 2D models for each character

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Shame Onyx is out of the picture. I thought it was a rather neat little engine, with some pretty impressive visuals. Has the game's engine been announced yet? Will it be IE?

Now you guys are making me want to play IWD again. Well, games always seem more fun after the 6th playthrough.

Hmmmm...Saudi Arabian guys? Doesnt see that paralell.

I am with you on "tit armor" :thumbsup: Victoria Secret breastplate + 3 protection hehe

First is Islamic warriors and second is from Lawrence of Arabia:

http://www.google.lt...106&tx=50&ty=44

http://www.google.lt...29,r:0,s:0,i:67

I see the similarites, but I think you're overreacting. I think we can reasonably assume that it's a concept for just one of the cultures or regions in PE's world, and I don't see why designs like this would be a problem. BG2 (which you used as an example) used a bunch of different styles as well between the races and groups you encountered -- the Djinn and Rakshasa had similar arabic-influenced designs, the vampires had an egyptian vibe to them, the pirates and seafarers did the whole puffy shirts and pants thing... It adds diversity.
  • Like 1

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

My bad, sorry. I was kinda looking at you guys more than at the sketches. I watched video pitch 5 times and still did not see the images...

Edited by l3loodangel

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-18-project-eternity-interview-new-information-tentative-spring-2014-release-date

Important bits I picked up:

1.) Cain: "We have an engine already..."

2.) Josh is project lead, Cain is prog and mechs, Chris will "be doing writing on this project" (unclear to what extent that means).

3.) They are interested in doing multiplayer but unsure if they can swing it.

4.) Cain: "[PE] will have guns"

Clarifies a few points people have been asking about but have been lacking a definite answer. That said, opens up more questions about the engine for me...

• Like 1

Sawyer about firearms in PE @ Something Awful:

We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe. Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

Link

Sawyer about firearms in PE @ Something Awful:

We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe. Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

Link

Sounds nice. Like a lot of the world building, enough to spice it up while still feeling familiar.

Their inclusion would mean this is not a D&D game

(the 2nd Ed Php did have arquebus weapons but no one used them)

Their inclusion would mean this is not a D&D game

(the 2nd Ed Php did have arquebus weapons but no one used them)

It isn't in the first place.

Hmmmm...Saudi Arabian guys? Doesnt see that paralell.

I am with you on "tit armor" :thumbsup: Victoria Secret breastplate + 3 protection hehe

First is Islamic warriors and second is from Lawrence of Arabia:

http://www.google.lt...106&tx=50&ty=44

http://www.google.lt...29,r:0,s:0,i:67

I dont see it that way, not that much at least. Some might be oriental stylised but is basically Gaul Celt http://cdn2.fishpond.../9883044/4.jpeg armored with stylised Roman Lorica Segmenta http://www.armsandarmour.org.uk/Images/Lorica%20segmentata.jpg and armed with a musket. So I am not sure what is your point? Dislike for the gun or that you see oriental influences where they might not even be?

Edited by Tauron

magic021.jpg