I see a lot of threads about adding in all kinds of different romance options and that's fine to express opinions so I think I should express mine. Do not follow the path of Biowares romance and for the love of God don't shove it down our throats. I am not at all anti homo sexual but lets face it, it seems like a stretch to be adding transexuals or any other of that sort into the game. Games nowadays want to incorporate the accepting nature of society today towards these things but in a fantasy setting this doesn't sit well... It takes away from the immersion when the party member you so happened to be traveling with is also gay! Who would have thought!

I guess I'm kind of going on a tangent but let me try to clarify. If there is a gay romance option don't make it a character who could also be straight if you're character was a different gender. And don't have this game just over flowing with these kind of NPC's. It just takes away from the immersion like having a game set in Africa where all the characters are white. It doesn't fit.

To be frank I would just love it so much more if there were NO romance options at all and to just let the player roleplay that kind of thing in their head. That would be tons better. Playing Icewind Dale and customizing each party member to have a specific role, socially and in combat, compared to actively trying to portray it for us was a much better way of doing it. But with the uproar I am seeing for romance I doubt that kind of thing will be left up for my imagination.

And I'd also like to state that while everyone is worried about romance and sexuality in this game that there are people here that would rather see the focus being put on lore, party system, ai, dialogue, and the RPG system. Please do not take away from that by worrying about all these "mature" themes as some people call it. Mature themes are deeper than just sexuality people. And they address this in an interview and I am happy to see that they realize the difference between "mature" as in lets have sex all the time, and mature as in making mature decisions and making this game cater to adults rather than children. Children want sex and blood and gore, adults want to see a masterpiece and a world that we can really appreciate. So please take this in mind.

Disclaimer: I couldn't care less about the option of Romances.

If the authors decide that in their setting homossexuality is accepted, then that's ok as long as they stick with it. Fantasy can be whatever you want until the universe's internal logic is established. This nullifies all historic arguments, which never had any strenght by themselves - acceptance isn't something new and neither is the history of sexuality a global one.

I personally hope they are able to incorporate gay elves, slutty pirates and mages who will swing whichever way you need based on your gender choice. Just like BioWare!

Everyone in the Dragon Age universe go whatever way you need because of how awesome the protagonist is. The choices you make in character creation are BioWare's Awesome Butten .

Its all about choice. And no slightly inconvenient consequence because then people might be sad.

Edited by Delterius

Did you really need to make another thread to discuss this? and double-post in it? :facepalm:

Going back to fan comments... in the KS rewards section, the team has already said that the items will be balanced within the game. Fallout New Vegas dealt with "mature" themes pretty well for the most part.

Did you really need to make another thread to discuss this? and double-post in it? :facepalm:

Going back to fan comments... in the KS rewards section, the team has already said that the items will be balanced within the game. Fallout New Vegas dealt with "mature" themes pretty well for the most part.

Curious. There is a excess of romance threads in the forum, but you seem to be in the wrong place.

I think what you are trying to say is that you like the way Dragon Age did this?

Dear sir, that's insulting: I was being sarcastic. I consider myself a rather vocal opposition of the way Dragon Age 2 did things. DA:O was ok, it took me an entire dialogue choice to shut off the only character that insisted on being interested on me, and people's sexuality wasn't defined by my character.

Edited by Delterius

Dear sir, that's insulting: I was being sarcastic. I consider myself a rather vocal opposition of the way Dragon Age 2 did things. DA:O was ok, it took me an entire dialogue choice to shut off the only character that insisted on being interested on me, and people's sexuality wasn't defined by my character.

I am happy to hear that... With all the people screaming for ROMANCEEEEE I didn't know. I'm happy to see atleast one person agrees with me though.

That's the exact opposite of what he meant.

And sexuality is a sliding spectrum (to say nothing of asexuality), not a binary hetero:homo dichotomy. Not to say it didn't feel ridiculous in Dragon Age, but... y'know, nuance exists, is all.

Yeah I just got that. And I don't really want to explain the theories of sexuality I am just stating it takes away from the immersion if all the characters you party with are bisexual or whatever. Just want the romance to play a small part if any at all.

Edited by patboy12

Subtle romances?

like Visas Marr in Kotor 2?

Her life for yours? She says that regardless of romance status. She's got a lot of Stockholm syndrome. She was supposed to be that way. Although really, all the 'romances' in KOTOR2 were hideously dysfunctional.

Fall From Grace from Torment was fairly subtle. Ironic, given she was a succubus.

• Like 1

See "Charging up her loading ramp" and the "Force sex" scenes for Visas.

That said, this is being written by Chris A. If he throws a romance in somebody is going to die, or be entirely neurotic or an S&M junkie with magic or SOMETHING.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I actually have little issue with "player centric" romances given that, if done properly, they are only inconsistent if you're applying meta knowledge. For me it has little difference if they are or aren't, but I do know that a good number of LGBT people are very grateful for the effort. So given it doesn't affect me much, it mostly feels malicious to hope that they are not done that way.

Having said that, I loved the way romances were done in New Vegas, since they were so subtled and nuanced and just damned believable. I also have zero beef with no romances at all.

• Like 1