Composer for Eternity?

Mark Morgan is the man.

Seriously, I LOVE what Lennie Moore or Jeremy Soule do, but since we are talking about ideal mature RPG here, I can not imagine anyone but Mark Morgan creating music for this project.

(please remember, that everything I post here - is my personal opinion!)

Edited by Romiras

Been there. Seen that. Got the scars.

Finally got my dev tag! It's about time I got around to that, haha. Thanks forum admins!

You know what I like about all of the music mentioned in this thread so far? They have a couple important things in common:

1. They've left an impression on each of you, one that's lasted long after you stopped playing the game.
  2. They fit the game's story and setting, and because of that, drew you deeper into the experience.
  3. They are memorable because they have with strong, emotive, and recognizable musical qualities.

I have to admit, that's what I look for when I play a game. Music can make a break a game imo.

• Like 1

I don't want over-orchestrated stuff. I feel like some of the music in BG for instance was just that. Too much going on. The ambiance (city chatter etc.) was great though.

I want the music up front, else I'll just mute it and play my own music. No choirs or singing though - that's putting it too up front. A lone violin playing something nice when traveling through a remote village, or some flute-y music when surrounded by nature.

Inon Zur made great music for the towns of Icewind Dale, but I think the battle music could be made a little less stressful (while still delivering some sort of energy). Morrowind has amazing fantasy music, Jeremy Soules best by far. But again, I find some of the music in Morrowind to be too dramatic and stressful. This is one of the better "battle themes" of Morrowind (the latter half - the first half descibes the "stress" sound that I don't like):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ScswXu8jgg

Edited by Zed

• 1 month later...

I think justin has some chops so I'd be happy to see what he could do with a full score.

All I know is that I want something subdued, haunting, deeply tonal - something that highlights the importance of souls, which seem to be so central to the game.

Edited by nikolokolus

Initially, I was in favor of having a composer whose work I was familiar with and had enjoyed write the game's score. I figured that this would be the best way to insure that I loved the game's music. After reading all of Justin Bell's posts on the various music threads on this forum, however, I'm changing my vote in favor of him instead. While he would be more of a gamble than choosing an established game composer, his ideas on what to do with P:E's music are interesting, and I enjoyed following his back-and-forth with people on these forums. Given his passion for the project, it seems fair to let him work on its score (and a kickstarter does seem like the best place to try out a new composer, without the need to satisfy a publisher by choosing a "big name" for the job).

Justin Bell did a good job on the promo and seems to have a really good perspective on the project, so I'm quite happy with him having the responsibility. Especially since in this project he has the ability to seek feedback from the community if there is need, instead of waiting to hear what people think after the game is finished. Although I don't believe he will need to.

• Like 1

And yes, I know my profile picture is blasphemy on this forum, but I didn't have the audacity to use The Nameless One.

Bell knows what i want from the music update thread :D. I really did like flutes in the PE theme though, i'm a sucker for details like that, they really gave the song the "mystical forest" overtone.8

Initially, I was in favor of having a composer whose work I was familiar with and had enjoyed write the game's score. I figured that this would be the best way to insure that I loved the game's music. After reading all of Justin Bell's posts on the various music threads on this forum, however, I'm changing my vote in favor of him instead. While he would be more of a gamble than choosing an established game composer, his ideas on what to do with P:E's music are interesting, and I enjoyed following his back-and-forth with people on these forums. Given his passion for the project, it seems fair to let him work on its score (and a kickstarter does seem like the best place to try out a new composer, without the need to satisfy a publisher by choosing a "big name" for the job).

Who knows, in a few years we might be rooting his name in another kickstarter game.

Edited by Gyges
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like Justin Bell's music that I've heard so far, and he seems like a pretty cool guy, but Mark Morgan has to be my #1 pick. His Planescape: Torment music set the atmosphere for the game so well, I can't even imagine it without that.

Cannot believe that Jesper Kyd wasnt mentioned yet. Aside from A

, the
Series and
of
stuff he has an eerie ability to capture the essence of a game and then add a twist to it.

Absolutely love the guy to the point where I buy everything the guy publishes.

Mark Morgan who wrote the theme music for the Modron Cube in PST... I still listen to that. :). Inon Zur and especially Jeremy Soule have been done allready and are almost static in their approach to fantasy themes. It gets old fast. They are still great composers, sure, but I am getting fed up with them.

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

As much as I like Jeremy Soule, I agree with another poster that he's a bit overused at the moment since he's already doing the music for the Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars AAA RPG franchises. I still wouldn't complain though, but I think he's probably the most expensive composer to get.

Mark Morgan made one of the best sound tracks ever for Fallout 1 & 2, but I'm not really sure how his music would be for a classic fantasy RPG. Torment soundtrack was good and fitting but not as consistent as the Fallout soundtrack. Same with Jesper Kyd, his Assassins Creed soundtrack was impressive, but I don't know his vision for a classic fantasy RPG.

If I would have a wish free, I'd choose Two Steps from Hell. The team around Nick Phoenix und Thomas J. Bergersen currently dominate the scene of trailer music. They are the only composers I know, that reach or even exceed the class of Soule if it comes to classical music. Though Howard Shores LotR soundtrack was amazing too, and Paul Romero and Rob Kings Heroes of Might and Magic soundtrack is still one of the best I ever heard.

What I heard from Justin Bell was good so far (PE Trailer), but I don't know enough of his music to make a clear pro or con statement.

Have you guys listened to the scores of The Witcher 2 by Adam Skorupa and Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz? I think that was one of the best scores I've ever heard. I like the Project Eternity sound so far, even though it seems a bit spiritless, generic. I'd love to see Justin do a take with more courage when it comes to instrumentation, choirs and whatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jizNCiInw

Even though...

. Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif