Composer for Eternity?

Sort of jumping on this thread late. This is my first post on our forums, so here goes...

@C2B, Solivagant, Bos_hybrid, and dlux... Thank you for that, it means a lot! The past two days have been amazing, truly. The support and loyalty the community has shown everyone at Obsidian is incredible.

@Nonek, good call there. Josh referenced Gotterdammerung a few times, and it was one of the references used while writing the music for one specific part the Kickstarter pitch video.

@Casey, great orchestration chops, your music sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing it. I couldn't agree more with your assessment on the importance of thematic development, especially in fantasy games. Its' one of the most important ways a composer can communicate with the listener.

@Everyone, you guys have great musical instincts. We should have more to announce about the music and sound for Project Eternity at some point. So stay tuned!

Completely off topic... but my favorite video game score of all time is the one from T:ES III Morrowind. Haunting, mystical, ancient, and memorable. Can't get enough of it.

Edited by Justin Bell
  • Like 6

We should have more to announce about the music and sound for Project Eternity at some point. So stay tuned!

Yay!

Completely off topic... but my favorite video game score of all time is the one from T:ES III Morrowind. Haunting, mystical, ancient, and memorable. Can't get enough of it.

So now we know what to expect. I didn't play Morrowind much, but like Soule's music too.

(Also where's your developer tag. *Kickstart* someone on monday for it )

Haha, you know, I've worked at Obsidian for almost three years, and I still have now idea how I could get one of those tags!

So now we know what to expect.

Now now, I didn't say that :) I just said it's my favorite game soundtrack of all time. April 2014 is a long way away...

Edited by Justin Bell

@Casey, great orchestration chops, your music sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing it. I couldn't agree more with your assessment on the importance of thematic development, especially in fantasy games. Its' one of the most important ways a composer can communicate with the listener.

Thanks a lot Justin! If I haven't said it already, you did do a fantastic job on the teaser! If you guys are looking for any pitches from a pool of composers please PM or email me through my website in my signature. Keep on keeping on! :)

There is a lost soundtrack for PS:T by the revered dark ambient composer Lustmord that was scrapped by the publisher and has never seen the light of day.

I'm sure the folks at Obsidian haven't forgotten this, and they may be eager to do something as uncompromising with this project. As much as I respect all of the composers mentioned, my hope is that we'll all be very surprised by the style that Obsidian and Co. choose.

Shiiiiiiet, if only I could track down a copy of that. Lustmord rules.

I always thought Dargaard would be awesome music for a fantasy-themed product as well, YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Zy9PlIcWA

This one always made me think of the Throne of Bhaal opening scene in the Ancient Grove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1elbYV59Qo

Edited by Sensuki

Pretty much any of the composers who have worked on Obsidian/Black Isle/Troika/Bioware RPGs would be good. I have always loved the music in these games. Mark Morgan's work on PS:T and Mark Griskey's score for KotOR II have especially stood out to me.

For an out of left field suggestion, I really liked Bj

Edited by eimatshya

Whoever made the trailer music gets my vote. It gave me chills.

Justin Bell who is a sound designer at Obsidian

http://www.benaturalmusic.com/

Sounds to me like we have our guy right there. Obsidian's had to let go a lot of great people of late, I hope this project will allow them to tap into their current talent as much as possible, and then maybe allow them to look at some of the people who had to leave...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Personally, I like music from Kickstarter video. Though, I don't think it should be theme song of the game, because transition after 30sec is too sudden. Maybe it makes sense from game's story view. On the other hand, the ending of the song is really powerful for me. I'm not worried about quality of music and sounds, my only fear is keeping balance of music as a background and music as the experience itself. I keep my fingers crossed, Mister Bell! :3

Dak'kon: "Strength lies in *knowing* oneself."

Been listening to the Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 soundtracks lately, and something like that would be what I would want. Big, epic, and emotional. Jeremy Soule and Inon Zur haven't topped those scores.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I completely agree music from Kickstarter video is just perfect. I think Justin Bell would be the right choice. Otherwise bring back some of the former composers. Music in Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate 2 is top-notch. Kickstarter will rise enough money to hire one of them. :)

Pillars of Eternity Twin Elms and Celestial Sapling and Torment: Tides of Numenera Crystalline DimensionBefore the fall and Bloom original fan art music.

I dont really care who composes music if he/she does it well. What I wouldn't want to hear is another bombastic orchestra score with choirs and total epicness, I find it rather stale at the moment. For example, Skyrim main theme is, for me, as generic as it gets and the pathos made me cringe every time I heard it, while music in Arcanum was very low-key and added very nicely to games atmosphere, not to mention that it was very beautiful, intimate and "breathy"(if that is an actual word;)). Also, I prefer live instruments to vst plugins, even if it means less instruments in score.

Another thing is that in terms of differentiating, unique score (like Arcanum string quartet) can really make an impact on how the game is perceived and make it stand out from other games with generic scores aiming at "awesome epicness".

• Like 4

Another thing is that in terms of differentiating, unique score (like Arcanum string quartet) can really make an impact on how the game is perceived and make it stand out from other games with generic scores aiming at "awesome epicness".

I couldn't agree more. Part of old RPGs was good, creative music which was able to nail atmosphere and story of a game perfectly. Some, let's call them modern, games use that 'awesome epicness' you're talking about and it serves the purpose well enough, but doesn't leave impact on you like old games did. Keep in mind that it's my opinion and I speak only for myself. :)

Dak'kon: "Strength lies in *knowing* oneself."

Clint Mansell. He's made some incredible soundtracks including The Fountain, and I think he recently worked on Mass Effect 3.

Might be too expensive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtqKtSJLKWM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0NBPRMe2E

Clint Mansell is probably more expensive than Jeremy Soule. Mark Morgan for nostalgia-reasons in my case, but if what i really want is a composer that understands the setting and the general atmosphere that the game is going for. Therefore, i would vote for Alexander Brandon, what he did Mask of the Betrayer, Deus Ex and Unreal made half the game for me.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Clint Mansell is probably more expensive than Jeremy Soule. Mark Morgan for nostalgia-reasons in my case, but if what i really want is a composer that understands the setting and the general atmosphere that the game is going for. Therefore, i would vote for Alexander Brandon, what he did Mask of the Betrayer, Deus Ex and Unreal made half the game for me.

Deus Ex soundtrack is among my favourites as well.

Yeah I didn't really think Clint Mansell is realistic, but the dude's my favourite soundtrack composer of all time.

I think Mark Morgan or Michael Hoenig as a stretch goal would be a great incentive for people to join in on the project. (I would personally root for mr. Morgan)

Announcing Jeremy Soule would make pledges rain in like crazy! But alas, he's probably too expensive in the long run.

With all that said - Justin Bells work in the pitchvideo was awesome! If the game sounds anything like that, I would be more than satisfied.