Composer for Eternity?

Which means nothing. Companies make use of sound designers for promos like this all the time, and then they go out and find composers. Unless they have an in-house composer, in which case he will likely do both promos and write the score.

There's a undertone in that answer, its not even an actual answer to the question itself. So why did he answer that way?

@Casey Edwards: Like your stuff. Sounds good :)

I just interpreted as typical "Need to give an answer but we can't/won't give a good one out yet".

Yeah, the only Jeremy Soule like piece I have on my site is called "Celestial Terrain". I might try my hand at writing a theme for this anyways. What do you guys like to hear in fantasy music? Always nice to hear from the actual recipients and listeners.

Wagner, something bombastic, powerful and melancholic such as Gotterdammerung.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm going to have to add my voice to the choir singing for Jeremy Soule. In the world of Western RPGs, and in my opinion the world of video games in general, Jeremy Soule is the king of scores. What impresses me most is not so much his ability to create strong themes - which is considerable in itself - but the elegance of his "ambient" music. He has a real knack for writing pieces that set the tone for any given area in a game, manipulating the player's feelings subconsciously, while being beautiful to listen to independently of the game itself. So often a piece of game music is either "atmospheric" but not very good to listen to in abstract, or conversely "thematic", but too distracting to use effectively in-game. Soule strikes a perfect balance.

Of course there are many other composers out the who are capable of doing just as good a job, and I look forward to the game's music regardless of who they go with. I just hope that the score is one of the strongest points of what could be a brilliant game.

Jeremy Soule is, unfortunately, probably too expensive for this project.

Mark Morgan would be my first choice, but I would love to have at least one theme composed by every single composer who worked on IE games: Morgan, Hoenig, Soule, Zur, etc. That would be a true homage to these great artists.

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Of course there are many other composers out the who are capable of doing just as good a job, and I look forward to the game's music regardless of who they go with. I just hope that the score is one of the strongest points of what could be a brilliant game.

This is why I decided to speak. Yes, Jeremy Soule is fantastic! As are composers Jason Graves and Russell Brower! Fantasy is one thing I have a huge heart for and being able to paint that with music would just be a fantastic joy. I take pride in using a traditional route of writing by using not only themes, but thematic development. By letting the music grow and change with the game, the player will experience a deeper connection at the core with these audible nuances that make such strong emotional ties to the story and experience.

Whoever made the trailer music gets my vote. It gave me chills.

Justin Bell who is a sound designer at Obsidian

http://www.benaturalmusic.com/

Wow! Fantastic, Justin is very talented!

This type of music is absolutely perfect for Eternity. :)

I'm not so sure about Mark Morgan as some have recommended here... his music seems to be more atoned to post apocolyptic / steam punk / cyber punk settings.

Edited by dlux
  • Like 2

:closed:

I won't lie and say I'm familiar with the names of people in the industry, but I just want to say the music in Baldur's Gate (2, in particular) was just fenomenal. I can only hope that whoever will end up in charge of composing music for the game will be able to retain it's magical, epic feel.

It would be nice to have something that gives the world a bit of a different tone. I would personally like it if they avoided the classical, orchestral, bombastic themes that you often see in fantasy RPGs. Would love for something a bit more subdued... Maybe not completely ambient but leaning a bit towards that direction.

Or... again, just something that doesn't really scream epic fantasy. I always adored the Mask of the Betrayer soundtrack, something in that direction would be pretty nice I think.

• Like 5

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

There is a lost soundtrack for PS:T by the revered dark ambient composer Lustmord that was scrapped by the publisher and has never seen the light of day.

I'm sure the folks at Obsidian haven't forgotten this, and they may be eager to do something as uncompromising with this project. As much as I respect all of the composers mentioned, my hope is that we'll all be very surprised by the style that Obsidian and Co. choose.

Edited by Alex Sherman
  • Like 2

Obsidian already has a very talented Composer. The music in the Kickstarter video was excellent, Justin is very talented.

Yasunori Mitsuda

The guy who did Xenogears (and maybe Xenoblade)'

Edit: I did not give you 500 dollars to make an orchestrated soundtrack, so please, don't do it

Nothing against Yasunori Mitsuda (who is a great composer), but I do not like this JRPG touch in the Music of so many RPGs from Japan.

The style that we heard in the Kickstarter video is much, much better imo.

:closed:

Ben Houge, I think the Arcanum soundtrack was a masterpiece - and it stands out because it's not the typical bombastic wagnerian fantasy stuff with choirs and whatnot... I don't get why people love the Skyrim bombast, and Dragon Age had nothing memorable to me. I loved the intimity of a real string quartet in Arcanum, and it's the only game music I ever burned on a CD to listen to on the stereo. That said, the Soundtrack of the two Neverwinter Nights expansions was really good too.

• Like 4