[Merged] Please make a console version!

While it'd be crazy to do a console port, on multiple levels, it'd be hilarious to see a console port with completely botched controls, like basic functions missing, changed keymaps where they don't make sense, reversed camera controls, and topping it off with quick-time events for pausing. And of course capping the whole thing at 30 FPS, removing most AI elements and downgrading the graphics intensively.

Just to watch the console peasantry cry and go ballistic over things the PC gaming master race have had to deal with for over a decade.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

While it'd be crazy to do a console port, on multiple levels, it'd be hilarious to see a console port with completely botched controls, like basic functions missing, changed keymaps where they don't make sense, reversed camera controls, and topping it off with quick-time events for pausing. And of course capping the whole thing at 30 FPS, removing most AI elements and downgrading the graphics intensively.

Just to watch the console peasantry cry and go ballistic over things the PC gaming master race have had to deal with for over a decade.

I think you are right. But I have to say that it will be quite interesting to watch InXile create the console port for Wasteland 2. 

(I am looking forward for the big patch that creates Wasteland2 into a GOTY edition with Unity 5, better grafix and light and better gameplay.).

I am sure that PoE will get the better ratings from game testing magazines throughout the world.

And if this should happen and InXile rocks with their console port then I am sure there will be a console port for PoE either. (Even if I dislike this).

Edited by lightblade75

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah aside from the memory/graphic limitations of consoles (compared to a decent PC) a controller has a very limited number of readily accessable functions available compared to mouse/keyboard, they're more optimized for FPS type games.  So things like inventory management tend to be pretty clunky on consoles.  And dumbing down Pillars to operate nicely with a console is one of the last things I want to see!

Edited by Suhiir

It is very unlikely that we will ever do a console port for Pillars. The gameplay doesn't map very well to a controller. Then again, who knows what the future holds.vague statement>

People from the future do.  That's who knows what the future holds - people from the future.

We must find these future people and beat the answers out of them!  To arms men!  TO ARMS!!!!

Shut up or we'll break your two arms

Curses, foiled again.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah aside from the memory/graphic limitations of consoles (compared to a decent PC) a controller has a very limited number of readily accessable functions available compared to mouse/keyboard, they're more optimized for FPS type games.  So things like inventory management tend to be pretty clunky on consoles.  And dumbing down Pillars to operate nicely with a console is one of the last things I want to see!

I absolutely do not want to see a console version, but aside from the points about the controller most of those are no longer relevant the Xbox for example runs a customised version of windows so aside from the control issues and the weaker cpu in the current xbox porting it probably wouldn't be too hard.

As such if Microsoft comes along and says "oh my, your game is amazing" port it to the Xbox for us and we'll pay for all the porting expenses then I'd say they should go for it if they think they can design a suitable control interface for the game and assuming it doesn't take important team members away from the expansion or a PoE2 and that they don't start modifying their future PoE's to be more Console friendly.

Yeah aside from the memory/graphic limitations of consoles (compared to a decent PC) a controller has a very limited number of readily accessable functions available compared to mouse/keyboard, they're more optimized for FPS type games. 

Controllers are better suited for FPSs?? There's an opinion I've never heard before.

• Like 4

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Controllers are better suited for FPSs?? There's an opinion I've never heard before.

I find it baffling, too, but I assure you it's a common opinion among people who grew up on console games.

That's incredibly disturbing.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

Yeah aside from the memory/graphic limitations of consoles (compared to a decent PC) a controller has a very limited number of readily accessable functions available compared to mouse/keyboard, they're more optimized for FPS type games. 

As someone who grew up with Doom,Quake and Unreal I actually play singleplayer fps games exclusively with controllers nowadays :)

Just find it more relaxing on the couch and big screen, I have wireless kb+mouse but they're much more awkward to use when you're slumped back in the couch.

They're also great for turn based games, just really not well suited for RTS gameplay like PoE

That's incredibly disturbing.

I've had this conversation with some dirty millennials people I work with.

Basically the argument boils down to, "WASD? ouch, my poor fingers" and "yeah, but auto-aim".

• Like 1

As someone who grew up with Doom,Quake and Unreal I actually play singleplayer fps games exclusively with controllers nowadays original.gif

Just find it more relaxing on the couch and big screen, I have wireless kb+mouse but they're much more awkward to use when you're slumped back in the couch.

They're also great for turn based games, just really not well suited for RTS gameplay like PoE

Reminds me a lot of my older brother, actually. He played a lot of PC games when he was much younger, Myst, Diablo, Doom, along with me, but he was never really a gamer, and has since regressed into console-based ineptitude. Auto-aim FPS:s that play themselves for him is his bread and butter. He's got cash coming out of his ears while I have a computer just about to turn 10 years old that's just short of catching fire - I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't overheating, there'd be enough cobwebs in it to stop the fans - and I still laughed at him when he showed off the "amazing" physics and graphics of Battlefield Whatever.

All I thought to myself was "this is what console gamers peasants actually believe!".

There's precisely three things controllers do better. Platformers, Sports Games, and Fighting Games.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Personal opinion obviously.

But everything is readily accessable and placed where your fingers naturally lay when holding one.

Keyboards do occasionally require a bit of finger gymnastics.

And FYI I'm a PC purist, I don't even own (or desire to own) a console.

But my nephew occasionally ropes me into the playing something on his when I visit my sister.

Edited by Suhiir

As someone who grew up with Doom,Quake and Unreal I actually play singleplayer fps games exclusively with controllers nowadays original.gif

Reminds me a lot of my older brother, actually. He played a lot of PC games when he was much younger, Myst, Diablo, Doom, along with me, but he was never really a gamer, and has since regressed into console-based ineptitude. Auto-aim FPS:s that play themselves for him is his bread and butter. He's got cash coming out of his ears while I have a computer just about to turn 10 years old that's just short of catching fire - I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't overheating, there'd be enough cobwebs in it to stop the fans - and I still laughed at him when he showed off the "amazing" physics and graphics of Battlefield Whatever.

All I thought to myself was "this is what console gamers peasants actually believe!".

There's precisely three things controllers do better. Platformers, Sports Games, and Fighting Games.

I think you might be reading a bit too much into someones preference of what input method they want to use for a game, it's all just about personal comfort :)

Sure if I play multiplayer I'll always use kb+mouse for best precision. But when just relaxing and playing a singleplayer game? I'll do that wherever I'm most comfortable and alotta times that's not necessarily in front of my desk :)

And the controls of a game don't have to be simple in order to be playable with a joypad. For example I wrote a custom profile for VTMB, and I could map all the controls and even all the disciplines to the joypad by making good use of shift modifiers.

And many turn based games are also easily playable with joypads or touch screens since they don't require much precision in the first place.

I'm actually quite looking forward to when they add joypad controls to Wasteland2 so I can play that on the big screen.

I don't currently have a computer of my own and probably won't have one for a while but I love your games Obsidian and considering the fact you guys have almost raised half the funding for Project Eternity and it's still day one, I think you will have plenty of funding to consider making a console version! So please consider it and if you announce a console version, I will gladly pledge! This is for anyone who agrees there should be a console version so speak up and let your voice be heard!original.gif

hahahahah... NO DEAL!

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I don't really see how the controller aspect would be an issue. The only slight issue is cursor movement, but there are waaay more than enough inputs on a modern controller for what PoE requires.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Please DO NOT port this game to consoles. I find consoler gamers are the worst racist ever. I don't hate consoles myself but the biggest problems are games have to be watered down, gimped, simplified and made actioney to cater to the masses that has no interest in the genre at all.

Developers end up gimping gameplay and sacrificing their core fans for the risks they are taking. Yeah consoles sounds like big money. But if the majority of the crowds are Destiny and Call of Duty crowd, you are just slapping yourself in the face. We've all seen truth how games turnt out to be when they go consoles and multi-platform. Sacred 3, Dungeon Siege 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3 and Witcher 3 as well. If you follow Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition in the official forum, then you are well informed of how much outcries it caused to their original fans.

Controller itself is a flawed input device in my opinion. It's good for playing "casual" games, 2D side scrollers like Mario Bros, third person action games. Controllers for FPS? That must be the biggest joke as gameplay has to kicks in "Auto Aim Assist" and what's more being promoted in e-Sports are the biggest joke. I don't mind games in multi-platform as long there are no sacrifices made on PC. But that's not going to happen. We all know that. 

Console gamers often brand PC gamers as "pirates" and "beggars" and laugh at you because i got this "exclusives". So please buy a PayStation if you want to play Last of Us you filthy beggars hahahah... when you see PC gamer ask for such games to come to PC. Their elitism is as worst as racist.

If developers promised no sacrifices on PC gameplay on next sequel then all props to devs. More people enjoy your games and more money you make it's a win-win for all of us. But i really don't want to be forced with botched PC UI, menus and controls, 8 skill limits, no AI tactics, watered down RPGs mechanics and it's all about the "button awesome".

I rather have this game stays as a PC exclusive. Console gamers please stop ruining PC franchise.

Please DO NOT port this game to consoles. I find consoler gamers are the worst racist ever. I don't hate consoles myself but the biggest problems are games have to be watered down, gimped, simplified and made actioney to cater to the masses that has no interest in the genre at all.

Developers end up gimping gameplay and sacrificing their core fans for the risks they are taking. Yeah consoles sounds like big money. But if the majority of the crowds are Destiny and Call of Duty crowd, you are just slapping yourself in the face. We've all seen truth how games turnt out to be when they go consoles and multi-platform. Sacred 3, Dungeon Siege 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3 and Witcher 3 as well. If you follow Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition in the official forum, then you are well informed of how much outcries it caused to their original fans.

Controller itself is a flawed input device in my opinion. It's good for playing "casual" games, 2D side scrollers like Mario Bros, third person action games. Controllers for FPS? That must be the biggest joke as gameplay has to kicks in "Auto Aim Assist" and what's more being promoted in e-Sports are the biggest joke. I don't mind games in multi-platform as long there are no sacrifices made on PC. But that's not going to happen. We all know that. 

Console gamers often brand PC gamers as "pirates" and "beggars" and laugh at you because i got this "exclusives". So please buy a PayStation if you want to play Last of Us you filthy beggars hahahah... when you see PC gamer ask for such games to come to PC. Their elitism is as worst as racist.

If developers promised no sacrifices on PC gameplay on next sequel then all props to devs. More people enjoy your games and more money you make it's a win-win for all of us. But i really don't want to be forced with botched PC UI, menus and controls, 8 skill limits, no AI tactics, watered down RPGs mechanics and it's all about the "button awesome".

I rather have this game stays as a PC exclusive. Console gamers please stop ruining PC franchise.

1) Are you... are you actually equating console players to racists? That's really ****ing offensive.

2) Forums are nowhere near a good sample of your audience.

3) Well, there's a reason consoles get games first. It's because the majority of pirated games are PC. That's a statistical fact.

4) By projecting all the cons of console gaming on to the audience for it, you are being as "racist" as those you claim to hate.

It is very unlikely that we will ever do a console port for Pillars. The gameplay doesn't map very well to a controller. Then again, <sufficiently vague statement>who knows what the future holds.</sufficiently vague statement>

How about just do character creation or maybe full party screen for iphones and Androids which can be exported easly to PCs ?

I can easly see It can be sold 1.99$ to 4.99$

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

1) Are you... are you actually equating console players to racists? That's really ****ing offensive.

2) Forums are nowhere near a good sample of your audience.

3) Well, there's a reason consoles get games first. It's because the majority of pirated games are PC. That's a statistical fact.

4) By projecting all the cons of console gaming on to the audience for it, you are being as "racist" as those you claim to hate.

1) Yes i'm equating some console players to racists and they are worst than ****ing offensive as i've seen not one but many of them.

2) Forums are nowhere near good sample for biased fanboy as well.

3) I agree with you. The problem that botched PC gaming are piracy.

4) I'm stating the cons on console gaming and i'm the one racist? Not the one that call you pirates or beggars?

Ah, I remember when a friend and me tried playing Medal of Honor PVP on consoles...

Lot's of fun was had with not being able to hit each other at point blank, but aside that, there was not much to it. I seemed more capable of controlling chaos (winning 10-0), still KB+M FOR LIFE.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

[...]

I personally feel that it is incredibly offensive, too, not because it insults console players, but because there are a great many great racists throughout history, whether we're talking Mahatma Gandhi or Vlad Tepes, that do not deserve such injustice.

Console players are much, much worse.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg