[Merged] Please make a console version!

the reason they dont want to make a console version, and almost no developer wants, is that the pc version has more fexibility on how it's made. you can use any engine, with any programing language and create any kind of game with any kind of interface. any pc will be able to run the game (provided the hardware have the necessary power) and the combination of mouse and keyboard will adapt itself to the game mechanics and interface, making controls intuitive (so long as the devs didnt complicate things themselves by adding useless combinations of buttons where a simple click could sufice)

in console you have to use specific programing, adapt the game to the hardware and adapt the mechanics and interface to the limited functionality of the pad. so the developer cant make the game he wants but only what the system allows him to do

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I don't really understand why this thread is still going - Obsidian already stated that Project Eternity will be a PC exclusive title.

I really don't know why some People are still asking for a console version.

This project was born to be a computer game. They raised money for a pc only version. So please stop asking for a console version of p:e

Thanks for your time

Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!

No.

Consoles simply don't have enough input options to utilize the abilities that will be present in PE.

Not trying to dig at consoles(they are better for certain types of games) PE simply wouldn't work on them. Hell DAO barely did, and it was pretty simple(seeing as it used a much smaller list of actions than NWN2).

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Please no console version. I pledged my money for a full-featured PC version. Developing for consoles AND PC means diverting a massive portion of the funds for development. Developing for the PS3/X360 means imposing all sorts of limitations on the AI and control scheme of the game. The Wii... no. Maybe the next generation of Playstation and Xbox will provide more interface options (hello wireless keyboards and mice/trackballs!) and enough processing power to provide quality RPG AI, but the PS3/X360 does not.

Sure is are a lot of members of the PC Master Race, here.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the Project: Eternity developed for console for a variety of reasons; mainly interface and control nightmares, not to mention that the cost of porting the game would take a major hit on the game's funding, as well as potential funding for any possible sequel.

That being said, while people are quick to play consoles for the death of the classic Western role-playing game and I'd argue they'd play a part, blaming consoles exclusively is missing a point - even console games themselves are being simplified - so are movies, television shows, and pop culture in general. What was normally a small but lucrative niche business is now a multi-billion dollar industry. Companies no longer cater to their old demographic, because the money is in the mass market.

Don't forget, that console gaming is suffering too. As a fan of all sorts of role-playing games (including jRPGs), the genre as a whole isn't the same as it was in the late 90's, early 2000's. Company Final Fantasy XIII to Final Fantasy VI.

Remember folks, the spiritual predecessor to Shadowrun Returns was an SNES exclusive and to this day, Avellone still sings the praises of Chrono Trigger and considers in an influence to his design style, as said in an interview. Don't blame consoles, blame the modern gamer - I have a friend with a top of the line gaming rig - but enjoys all the mainstream AAA titles and "modern" gaming more than classic - its not the system, its the gamer.

• Like 1

Sure is are a lot of members of the PC Master Race, here.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the Project: Eternity developed for console for a variety of reasons; mainly interface and control nightmares, not to mention that the cost of porting the game would take a major hit on the game's funding, as well as potential funding for any possible sequel.

That being said, while people are quick to play consoles for the death of the classic Western role-playing game and I'd argue they'd play a part, blaming consoles exclusively is missing a point - even console games themselves are being simplified - so are movies, television shows, and pop culture in general. What was normally a small but lucrative niche business is now a multi-billion dollar industry. Companies no longer cater to their old demographic, because the money is in the mass market.

Don't forget, that console gaming is suffering too. As a fan of all sorts of role-playing games (including jRPGs), the genre as a whole isn't the same as it was in the late 90's, early 2000's. Company Final Fantasy XIII to Final Fantasy VI.

Remember folks, the spiritual predecessor to Shadowrun Returns was an SNES exclusive and to this day, Avellone still sings the praises of Chrono Trigger and considers in an influence to his design style, as said in an interview. Don't blame consoles, blame the modern gamer - I have a friend with a top of the line gaming rig - but enjoys all the mainstream AAA titles and "modern" gaming more than classic - its not the system, its the gamer.

indeed, people tend to forget that. however it is still true that to make a console game you have to adapt the design to the console's hardware and the controls to the pad. jrpgs were born in consoles and were/are made in a way that fits their origin. wrpgs were born on pc and then they got cross-bred with jrpgs to become console friendly. i like jrpgs, but they are fundamentally different than wrpgs and this "mariage" kills the spirit of the wrpgs by taking away what made them different in order to sell more

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

While I sympathize with those arguing for the console, the fact is that a console release for this game isn't really financially feasible.

Interfaces and the like are all problems that are entirely solvable, and if you put in the extra effort it's entirely possible to have an interface that plays great with both keyboard/mouse and a controller. Take--save for a few glitches here and there--the latest XCOM release.

The real problem is the pure cost of developing for consoles. Even for titles that are purely downloadable and require no manufacturing every console on the market right now has rigorous and expensive protocols for maintaining your game before and after release. Each patch and technical certification can cost fees of tens of thousands of dollars, and on a budget like this, those costs would start adding up very, very quickly. This money wouldn't be contributing to any content or quality in the game or even swag for the contributors, it'd just be money burned.

well the whole discusion was useless from the start. the devs said from the first moment that they have no intention of making a console version and have stated their reasons

• Like 1

-Teknoman2-

• 3 months later...

Please do not make a console version.

I wouldn't say that. More like: make a console version only after the PC version is out, and you still feel like so. 

Honestly, i doubt console owners would like a genuine PC game, but i wouldn't mind that if it won't affect the PC version.

It kinda makes me wonder why anyone would want a console version of a PC title that would obviously be horrible to play with a controller. Like an FPS or an RTS or a cRPG. It makes sense that people want console games ported to PC, because not everyone has a console. But I really doubt there are any console players who don't have a PC.

RPG ports imho just don't work -

Look at Fable. It was horribly done. In the end they had to completely redo the UI and interface which delayed the launch by months... even then it wasn't great.

PC to Console is going to be even worse. Get it on a PC even if it a crappy low end rig and you play with fugly graphics. The gameplay would be so much better.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

Keep your dirty console hands off of my golden PC gaming exclusive! Although, seriously, I doubt that the game would port well to a console - but then, evidently, people were happy with the port of Dragon Age: Origins and I never thought that would have ported well. So, maybe? It likely depends on how well it sells and how much money they would loose/gain if they did make a port. 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Funnily enough, it'd probably port best to Wii U where you could invoke a virtual keyboard into the ldc-controller thingy.

Not likely to happen though, and I don't give a toss either way as long as the pc version is made first.

Nopenopenopenopenopenopenope..well... no dammit! Everyone knew this was going to be a crpg, we dont need to thin the funds down to accommodate the heretics. You got 1,5 years, start saving.

In all seriousness though, we invested in a crpg and were getting one. If they bind themselves to any of the console licenses, they might lose a fraction of power over the project and thats a fraction too much. Prices are apparently exorbitant as well, probably why the ouya got so much press and gold.

Edited by Gyges
  • Like 1

I have a feeling the next gen consoles will be bust anyway...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/report-next-xbox-will-use-persistent-net-connection-to-block-used-games/

But, with Ouya using Linux/Chrome, I have a feeling a port to those and steambox might show up. (Because Obsidian would probably see more profit and wouldn't have to turn over their IP license. There's also less memory issues compared to current X&P.)

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

• 3 weeks later...

Games that are made for PC should probably stay on PC and games that are made for console should stay on console. Unless it was the design intention right from the beginning porting never seems to work especially well and even when it is sometimes the game just flops. How about we just let the game come out first before we start asking the PE team to stretch their funds further? There's a nice long while before Beta or even Alpha. Don't have a PC? Now would be the time to start saving or buying parts to build your own.

• 3 weeks later...

It kinda makes me wonder why anyone would want a console version of a PC title that would obviously be horrible to play with a controller. Like an FPS or an RTS or a cRPG. It makes sense that people want console games ported to PC, because not everyone has a console. But I really doubt there are any console players who don't have a PC.

people play games like simcity, warcraft, halo on consoles. games like fps, strategy, simulation are smoother with mouse+keyboard. but if they want, then that's their choice.

There really isn't any reason this couldn't be on a console, PC elitism aside. You guys don't really gain anything from a console port not being made EVENTUALLY. What you do lose out on is more potential sales, meaning more money for both expansions and any sequel. So stop with the complaining, it's coming to the PC first and foremost already, you can only benefit from a console port being made after the initial release.

With Unity's support for the PS4, and the little touchpad in the center, I could see Project Eternity coming to the PS4 easily enough.

There really isn't any reason this couldn't be on a console, PC elitism aside. You guys don't really gain anything from a console port not being made EVENTUALLY. What you do lose out on is more potential sales, meaning more money for both expansions and any sequel. So stop with the complaining, it's coming to the PC first and foremost already, you can only benefit from a console port being made after the initial release.

With Unity's support for the PS4, and the little touchpad in the center, I could see Project Eternity coming to the PS4 easily enough.

Untrue -- there are two problems with an eventual, post-release console port:

1) Any future game in the series would likely be designed to be ported.  This would, based on past experience, lead to UI compromises -- and is very highly like to lead to "streamlining" of mechanics.

2) Console gamers have different interests and preferences than PC-only gamers -- and for every PC gamer, there is 2 or 3 console gamers.  This means that any PC & console game will be driven by the preferences / interests / likes of the console gaming group rather than the PC group.

Note that I'm not saying that PC-only games are better than games released both for the PC & console, only that they are different.  My preference, and the preference of many of the other members of this forum & kickstarter is for the type of games that are designed and built exclusively for the PC. 

Speaking only for myself, I definitely would not support a future "Project: Eternity 2" kickstarter if the current game was ported to any console at any point in  time (even post-release), and I would be highly unlikely to support any kickstarter that didn't specifically and explicitly state that "There will be no console release of this title".  This isn't because "Oh, the game supports consoles, therefore it sucks" -- I've purchased and enjoyed many games that were designed and released on both consoles and PCs (Knights of the Old Republic comes to mind immediately).  Instead, my justification for taking this stance is "If the game is being designed to be released on consoles and it is any good, then the developers should be able to secure funding from traditional publishers."  The fact that it cannot (given that it is on Kickstarter) means to me that it probably isn't a very good game to start with, thus not worthy of my support.

• Like 3

Untrue -- there are two problems with an eventual, post-release console port:

1) Any future game in the series would likely be designed to be ported.  This would, based on past experience, lead to UI compromises -- and is very highly like to lead to "streamlining" of mechanics.

2) Console gamers have different interests and preferences than PC-only gamers -- and for every PC gamer, there is 2 or 3 console gamers.  This means that any PC & console game will be driven by the preferences / interests / likes of the console gaming group rather than the PC group.

Note that I'm not saying that PC-only games are better than games released both for the PC & console, only that they are different.  My preference, and the preference of many of the other members of this forum & kickstarter is for the type of games that are designed and built exclusively for the PC. 

Speaking only for myself, I definitely would not support a future "Project: Eternity 2" kickstarter if the current game was ported to any console at any point in  time (even post-release), and I would be highly unlikely to support any kickstarter that didn't specifically and explicitly state that "There will be no console release of this title".  This isn't because "Oh, the game supports consoles, therefore it sucks" -- I've purchased and enjoyed many games that were designed and released on both consoles and PCs (Knights of the Old Republic comes to mind immediately).  Instead, my justification for taking this stance is "If the game is being designed to be released on consoles and it is any good, then the developers should be able to secure funding from traditional publishers."  The fact that it cannot (given that it is on Kickstarter) means to me that it probably isn't a very good game to start with, thus not worthy of my support.

To play Devil's Advocate here - would that include an original game that was unable to get funding through traditional means as it was really far from a safe bet in terms of setting/story/mechanics/technology or whatever?  Publishers are after all, notoriously conservative in properties to invest in...

Personally, while I don't think that P:E is a good fit for traditional consoles and think porting it to Xbox/PS/Wii would be a bit daft, porting such a thing to tablets or to Ouya/Steambox is a bit of different prospect *if done well*.  I don't have any issue at all with porting things over, the real issue is whether it fits the interface and the playerbase of the port AND whether it will in any way compromise the core product going forward.  As long as those requirements are met, I hope as many people get to play the game and enjoy it as possible.

To play Devil's Advocate here - would that include an original game that was unable to get funding through traditional means as it was really far from a safe bet in terms of setting/story/mechanics/technology or whatever?  Publishers are after all, notoriously conservative in properties to invest in...

I wouldn't support a kickstarter for a project that I believed would be released on both PC & console release after failing to get funding via traditional means due to non-traditional mechanics / gameplay.  Note that I'm referring to a kickstarter for "both a PC & console" release.  I wouldn't support a console-only release simply because, not surprisingly, I don't own a console. :)

On the tablets side, tablets != consoles.  Generally speaking, I'd classify a platform as a "console" if more than 90% of the software targeting that platform are games and the primary input controller is a joystick or motion detection (e.g. Wii).  I'd be less likely to support a kickstarter promising dual tablet & PC kickstarter, but that's because I'd be concerned that the divided development effort would hurt both releases, not because I'm concerned about "tablet players preferences overwhelming PC users preferences."  While the average tablet gamer does have unique tastes (smaller / shorter / simpler / F2P games) any project that I'd be likely to support purely on its merits would be so far outside this market that the vast majority of tablet users would simply never consider supporting, or even buying, the game.

• Like 1