[Merged] Please make a console version!

If they can make money, they'll do it.

If they can please fans, they'll do it.

I see them making a console version in 2015.

like it or not, thats the way things are.

you guys can only expect more demands for console version. as the development goes on bunch of big mainstream gaming sites & mags will write all sorts of articles about Eternity and more and more console only gamers will be interested in it. wouldt be surprised if this or any similar thread looks quite different in one year or so.

• Like 1

you guys can only expect more demands for console version. as the development goes on bunch of big mainstream gaming sites & mags will write all sorts of articles about Eternity and more and more console only gamers will be interested in it. wouldt be surprised if this or any similar thread looks quite different in one year or so.

"Open the floodgates, prepare the flamethrowers!"

• Like 1

If they can make money, they'll do it.

If they can please fans, they'll do it.

I see them making a console version in 2015.

We'll be ready with the baseball bats and flamethrowers.

• Like 1

but console players have DA3 coming along, why should consoles ruin a PC only title when there is DA3, and probably more of the same of DA2, ithis is the direction that console RPG's are going in, and I wouldn't even class either DA:O and especailly DA2, real cRPG's not by a long shot, sure consoles have a bigger audience, but they do have limits to what they can do, like most not having a K&M, smaller maps, completely different UI. I say, let consoles have DA3, or what other junk EA can come up with and thier vision of what an RPG is, because sure as hell, its not the PC users vision of what a cRPG is, but publishers won't release PE on console unless massive changes have been made, so all in all, what PE will be like on console, sure won't be the same on PC, and its highly likely OE will lose the licence to their own dream, and work, something I dont think they want to risk,

seen too many good games by big publishers over the years, C&C, RA, syndicate Sim City, and plenty of others, going down the tub, getting dumbed down, getting crappier and crappier with each sequel that publishers spew out

don't care if the consoles users want PE or not, as its not going to happen, and they are plenty of dumbed down RPGs for them to play, thanks to publishers,

if PE goes to a console, and a publisher turns around and screws OE because the publisher takes the lience and ideas away from OE, (very likely) OE will not be able to do anymore games, on their own, as no one will touch them with a bargepole, they will be dependent on publishers to give them work, and their work hasn't really been the finest, because of publishers screwing them over, is this what people really want? OE going under? and we lose one of the last independent houses that cares about making RPGs, as bioware are dead in my eyes, while they made good RPG's in the past, not anymore, not since sodding EA took them over

I don't want to see OE taken over by a publisher or going under, OE I think is their best shot to make a name for themselves again, proving to everyone, including publishers, we can make good games if we tried, as long as we can do the game on our terms, not the publishers

but publishers are too powerful in this day and age, they destroy everything they touch, namely EA and Activision, I don't want OE to go the same way, and if anything, we have seen far too many good studios getting dissolved and destroyed by big publishers, as they don't care about the games now, they only care about making sure the biggest selling title gets sequels and sequels and even more sequels

and like I said, we know the vision of EA when it comes to RPGs, DA:O and DA2, is that the types of games we all want to play from no one? not me, not in the slightest

Edited by matthewfarmery
  • Like 3

I do not see how making a console version would bring improvement to Project Eternity. I do not want them to spend effort and money on console version. Sure there is a market for a console rpg, but I think Obsidian has already found their market which is more of a niche with people ready to spend money on a quality pc rpg inspired by old-school one.

• Like 1

you guys can only expect more demands for console version. as the development goes on bunch of big mainstream gaming sites & mags will write all sorts of articles about Eternity and more and more console only gamers will be interested in it.

I wouldn't expect them to respond properly to "consoles can't properly run this game" with an "okay, yeah, I see that" but rather with "X-BOX/PS/WII is SUPREME. Your puny PC can handle it, my awsomechine can totally whoop da game?" right.

Yeah, thought so... ;(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

if PE goes to a console, and a publisher turns around and screws OE because the publisher takes the lience and ideas away from OE, (very likely) OE will not be able to do anymore games, on their own, as no one will touch them with a bargepole, they will be dependent on publishers to give them work, and their work hasn't really been the finest, because of publishers screwing them over, is this what people really want? OE going under? and we lose one of the last independent houses that cares about making RPGs, as bioware are dead in my eyes, while they made good RPG's in the past, not anymore, not since sodding EA took them over

Emphasis mine there...

I think that's more true than most gamers will ever come to realize. Take a look at Jade Empire, I love it. But, something has always irked me about it. The game introduces alignment mechanics of "Open Palm" and "Closed Fist" as opposing philosophies regarding displays of strength. Then, the dialogue and actions of the game's characters completely belie that underlying idea. The Closed Fist dialogue of many NPCs, as well as the player, is reduced to temper tantrums, self-centered posturing, and outright attempts to equate it with evil. For example: On the PC version, in the pirate cave, you have thee options upon discovering a slave girl about to be purchased by a human trafficker: One, you tell him shes not for sale. Two, you tell the girl to take a dagger and stab him in the heart and thus learn to stand up for herself. Three, you tell him you're the one who's now selling slaves. Two different rewards are given depending on your answer that are part of exclusive quests for a martial style that's related to Open Palm or Closed Fist. What do you get for telling her to go kill him for her own freedom? The Open Palm scroll and the only one that gives the Closed Fist scroll is to sell the girl to him. Are you kidding me?

Open palm dialogues are nearly as petty; asking your character, who's supposed to be an accomplished martial artist, to run around acting a Mary Sue most of the time. This goes as far sometimes as to have your character back down from someone threatening his or her life. I mean, come on now...

I blame this sort of crap 100% on the publishers. Why? I never saw much of it back in the 80's & 90's. It wasn't until consoles became nearly as prevalent as DVD players that I saw dialogue like this widespread. I can almost hear the publisher's man standing in a room with the writers saying, "this really isn't working for me... I'm afraid our younger players simply won't get it." Throw in cross platform development, where we suddenly have "family types" and children playing these games, and it's all of a sudden a bad thing for you to present an idea that's not so conventional.

Blah... what a bunch of bologna!

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

You do make a lot of good points there Luridis, and a good reason why games in general aren't that good anymore, there are plenty of classic games that I loved to play, but now, many games are just FPS / TPS, and a lot of endless sports games that hardly ever change anyway, (unless its EA they they release one sports game on the Wii as a new game, but turned out to be last years PS3 / xbox360 version,

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/10/fifa-13-wii/

even if the wii isn't selling as much as it once did, that is still no excuse to do something like that. but that is EA for you,

I wonder what DA3 will really be like? EA have clearly shown that they aren't interested in doing anything like DA:O, considering how bad DA2 became, but that too was rushed, and had a very short development cycle, as EA wanted the game out there as quickly as possible. so will they A go back to a DA:O look or B (more likely) more like DA2? I say the latter, and because of this reason if PE ever came to consoles, it will be a turkey, nowhere near as good the PC version, OK the new consoles will be out, but even so, even if they do have better graphics chips, more ram, there is another issue, the differences between the two consoles, this can be seen very nicely with the PS3 and Xbox360 versions of skyrim, the main game was done for and optimised for the Xbox360, before it got ported to PC and PS3, but here is the problem, due to the way that the consoles work, the devs basically took short cuts, and they simply ported the code from one console to the other, and one initial release and many patched later, the game still was a unplayable mess, yet the devs know about the problems even before the game was released, they could have delayed or canned the PS3 release, but they didn't, I don't know if the PS3 version is still bad or not? but anyway, my point is, its highly likely that the PS4 and Xbox720 (or whatever they going to call it) will probably have very different setups too,and it seems from what I have gathered, making games for the PS3 is pretty difficult unless you have support from sony, (and I think that costs a lot) unlike the Xbox support which I think is free or low cost?

another thing to consider is patches, to get a patch on PSN or XBL costs a lot, Tim Schafer also revealed that it can cost up to 40k to get a patch in the QA process for a game, plus patches for consoles do take time as well

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39783/Tim-Schafer-Console-patches-cost-40k

and probably why more indie devs are making a comeback to PC due to high costs, only those with a big publisher can put patches on the two networks, OE will not be able to do that for themselves, it would bankrupt them, if the game required a lot of patches, but I do think you need to be tied to a publisher to get a game on console anyway,

but anyway, if there are massive differences between the new consoles, like there are between the PS3 and xbox360, then porting back a PC optimised game, to those consoles will take a lot of work, another good example is Torchlight, the original is now on XBL. but due to the big differences between TL1 and 2, two will never come to Xbox360, it just won't be able to handle it, and besides a ARPG is always better with a mouse IMO, and that goes for cRPGs as well, controllers aren't responsive enough,

I think if this game does come to consoles, it will take a hell of a lot of work, and costs, and they might to save costs, port it to the Xbox (new one) then PS4, but like I said above, if there are still massive changes between the consoles, what might work for one, probably won't work for the other (again skyrim is a very good example of this)

this is why I dont think a PC only title will or should come to consoles

Dunno man, I finished hardcoer peecee arrpeegees like Baldur's Gate and Torment by only clicking left mouse button.

While Phantasy Star at least required 3 buttons.

sms.jpg

So true, man. So true.

Edited by Comedian
Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

Dunno man, I finished hardcoer peecee arrpeegees like Baldur's Gate and Torment by only clicking left mouse button.

While Phantasy Star at least required 3 buttons.

sms.jpg

So true, man. So true.

:w00t: I must parody this myself...

"PC" Automaker - Our car comes with FM HD, a 6 disk CD player, 140 channels of satellite radio and can interface with 3 MP3 players at the same time. All of them are controlled by a simple 1 wheel push-knob design.

"Console" Automaker - Our car comes with FM radio and a 6 disk CD player. The 5 controls for the radio are on your steering wheel, but you'll have to reach over to the small control pad attached to the dashboard to work the 6 disk changer, which is also carriage loaded and placed within the trunk to stay conveniently out of your way.

Using one of 12 buttons to select from just 3 dialogue choices is about as robust as making a car with a manual transmission and a different lever for each gear. We may have used only 1 button in those games, but things had a hell of a lot more interesting with 10+ options to answer with different effects for each.

BTW my mouse has more epeen at 18 buttons than any handheld controller I've seen for consoles. :p

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

This game is being created for PC gamers by PC gamers. We want to relive to good ol' Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Night days. Console games are great I have Xbox and PS3 but I miss these types of games so much. Not even a game like Skyrim can fill this need. Besides its not fair to limit such a wonderful production to fit into a console. This game need to be developed w/o any boundaries. Trulez is 100% right on this one. No console version. All in favor? AY!!!

• Like 1

I just want to add my voice against any console ports. It's just too heavy to do that port with such a budget.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

A console port is a bad idea but not for 90% of the reasons in the thread. Simply put, they gave themselves 18 months and they are making the game on a limited budget. Some features are must have, some aren't. They would be better served by making this game android/iphone/tablet compatible than putting it on a console. Know that I hate myself for saying this cause I hate those games. But porting over to a console just requires too much work and too much money for the budget and schedule to allow.

If the ressource drain is marginal, the game remain primarily developed for PC (without concession on game design to get it to fit the console format) and the development time is unaffected, why not ?

Truth is, all those conditions are impossible to meet. So I am against a console version.

• Like 1

Porting a PC game to Console has many negative aspects which make it unattractive overall:

• Higher Costs
  • Hardware Limitations
  • No Mod Support
  • Inferior Controls (Unless Keyboard and Mouse is used or required)

Higher costs and hardware limitations would be a huge pain for developers. It could be said that publishers are more interested in rapid releases and money instead of customer satisfaction and a polished game. Obsidian seems to be intrested in creating a masterpiece instead of rusing to release for financial gain. I think it would be best that Project Eternity have the least amount of hurdles to reach a finished product of exceptional quality.

Mod support is a real deal breaker for me personally. In the console world, you get a game and maybe a few expansions, but that's about it. Take Bethesda's Morrowind or Oblivion games, for example. Play those games on a PC with Graphic Overhaul Mods, Music Mods, etc. Then turn around and play on a console. There's no contest between which experience is better, unless installing Mods and reading documentation is too complicated to handle.

TL;DR Version - No to console port. Yes to letting the exceptional team at Obsidian do what they do best; making the best PC Role Playing Games, period.

• Like 2

But porting over to a console just requires too much work and too much money for the budget and schedule to allow.

Well, they can start working on ports AFTER the release of PC version, using money earned from sales on PC.:)

But porting over to a console just requires too much work and too much money for the budget and schedule to allow.

Well, they can start working on ports AFTER the release of PC version, using money earned from sales on PC. :)

That money is far, far better used for the expansion (they said they're not using KS money for the expansion) and PC-only sequels with a hundred times more content than a weak and super-expensive console port could ever manage. :biggrin:

• Like 7

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)