[Merged] Please make a console version!

If they can make money, they'll do it.

If they can please fans, they'll do it.

I see them making a console version in 2015.

They tried to make money off of it for consoles... They shopped it around to publishers and they didn't want to fund it because they think you, the console owner, don't want this kind of game. So, maybe you should stop buying consoles, and console games. If you show the console publishers what you really want by voting with your dollars and buying a PC game made for enthusiasts, then Obsidian would not have needed to appeal to their fans for money to support their business while they make what we really want to purchase.

Do you console guys want to know why asking what you are is hacking all of the PC gamers in here off? Do you really want to know why we find it so offensive? Because you are part of the problem! Do you have any idea why this kind of game doesn't get released anymore? I'll tell you...

You buy all those games that publishers strong-arm studios into making so much less than they could be, so you can have things like cheat codes and quest goal arrows to follow. You're the reason RPGs have been reduced to no classes, 3 attributes and a one size fits all hero who can do anything from sneak to casting spells in the top tier while wearing plate armor. "That's too hard", "that's too complicated", "where is my god mode," is what the publishers hear from you and then you wonder why nothing is challenging anymore. Why nothing has depth, story or consequence for anything you do. Choices in games have become a joke! We have talent trees and dialogue that has been reduced to just two choices: this or that, good or evil. Do you really think for one moment that the people who work in game studios have no more talent, no more creative vision than 2 freaking choices? Go and look at the concept art! Those pictures do not come from the minds of people who can think of only two options for a dialogue answer! It's not what they want to do, it's what the publishers force them to do so you will buy that garbage.

Console publishers didn't want Project Eternity! Then... you have the audacity to come here and say, "what about me?" after we paid for this thing over a year in advance with no guarantee that it will actually happen. No, I'm not saying I don't think Obsidian can do it. What I am saying is we don't have an actual guarantee that it will. We weren't handed a box with a disk in it before turning over our credit card numbers, this is entirely an act of faith on the part of the kickstarter supporters. And then you strut in here and say, "oh but they could make money" and "oh but they could please us". News flash pal, the people in this world don't exist solely to please YOU.

I'll tell ya what... Go home, scoop up those consoles and all those console games and sell em back to whatever rip-off artist (game store) you bought them from and then get on the internet. Look up overclock or anandtech or any of the PC gaming enthusiast sites an look for the latest article on "budget gaming PCs". Go to newegg.com and buy all the stuff and put it together. Get your new computer on the net and download Steam, or GoG or look for Indy & studio game distribution. Then, buy a few of those games and take a chance on actually seeing what it is that you have been missing while you were sitting around playing with your wee.

:banghead:

Edited by Luridis
  • Like 7

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Personally I like the concept/idea of consuming my media through whatever pane-of-glass I am using. Yes - that means I love the concept of being able to play a cRPG on a PC/Console/Tablet etc. That said I am perfectly happy with starting with a PC/Mac/Linux version.

I backed OuYa for example not because I saw a powerful gaming machine, but because I saw the potential for an open-hackable device to be the centre of my home entertainment experience (I dislike Sony's XMB, and the iMac Mini doesn't 'do it' for me).

Yes the criticisms of consoles with regard to capacity and capability when compared to a fully spec'd gaming rig are fair - but if you then think of the ubiquitous nature of Internet access these days, efficient network transfer, bigger pipes, and cloud processing architecture, why does the graphic processing etc have to be done locally. Yes - running local means you are not dependent on the 'network' but the days of the network being insufficient are disappearing. It is certainly very different from the Internet of 20 years ago :)

The origin of this thread was not to start with a console version, but to make one eventually. If after the Unity based project is complete and distributed to PC/Mac/Linux machines, and of the move to console broadens the market and can be done profitably for Obsidian (without diluting their IP for example) then why not? :)

*edited to correct some things :)

Please take your game streaming ideas and jump onto the pyre of OnLive.

A considered and well thought out counter point there contributing positively to the discussion, well done.

Personally I like the concept/idea of consuming my media through whatever pane-of-glass I am using. Yes - that means I love the concept of being able to play a cRPG on a PC/Console/Tablet etc. That said I am perfectly happy with starting with a PC/Mac/Linux version.

I backed OuYa for example not because I saw a powerful gaming machine, but because I saw the potential for an open-hackable device to be the centre of my home entertainment experience (I dislike Sony's XMB, and the iMac Mini doesn't 'do it' for me).

Yes the criticisms of consoles with regard to capacity and capability when compared to a fully spec'd gaming rig are fair - but if you then think of the ubiquitous nature of Internet access these days, efficient network transfer, bigger pipes, and cloud processing architecture, why does the graphic processing etc have to be done locally. Yes - running local means you are not dependent on the 'network' but the days of the network being insufficient are disappearing. It is certainly very different from the Internet of 20 years ago :)

The origin of this thread was not to start with a console version, but to make one eventually. If after the Unity based project is complete and distributed to PC/Mac/Linux machines, and of the move to console broadens the market and can be done profitably for Obsidian (without diluting their IP for example) then why not? :)

A considered and well thought out counter point there contributing positively to the discussion, well done.

I prefer brevity.

Say no to popamole!

Because it cannot be done well without severely reducing the scope of the PC game. The issue is not CPU/GPU power (that might be a problem for tablets, but consoles are certainly powerful enough to run Project Eternity), it's the control interface. Here's an interview where one of the developers of Project Eternity discussed it:

And it'll be PC only, because Avellone is "tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers."

"Those limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience," he told me.

I wrote a post earlier in this thread for people who don't understand why this is the case.

Thank you for the information. Consoles certainly have had their limitations. It must be refreshing for Obsidian to have the freedom to create the game they want, supporting the platforms their choose.

I prefer brevity.

Well met :)

You -could- port it to PS3 and force them to use mouse+keyboard (as there actually is the possibility there). All of this after the PC master race is fed, of course. And screw XBox, I never understood why do people bother with such useless thing. Paying for access to multuplayer, hahaha!

I don't want this game to end up on consoles, also I'm pretty sure a publisher would have to be involved if that is the case, and that means they could potentially own the IP, plus whatever profit is made from the console sales will no doubt end up in publishers pockets, not sure but I dont think OE will get any funds from the consoles version until iit hits X amount of sales, but I might be wrong

plus the interface will have to change, while DA:O might have sold more on consoles, the PC version was still a better version, plus had a better overheard camera which the consoles versions couldn't handle, plus the maps were were smaller, in BG and other PC games, the maps were large, so if PE also has large maps a nice overhead camera, (not too close or far away) something like this wont be possible on a console, (unless the 8 gen systems can do better?) but even then a keyboard and mous is way better more responsive then a controller,

in the end, I just dont want to see the game end up in the hands of publishers, and considering PC gamers ARE having to put up with crappy console ports, Darksiders 2, not a bad game, but the PC version did have a lot of issues, and there is BL2, great options menu, but the in game options menu is basically a kick up the backside and a scew you towards PC gamers, its still a good game, but the PC version is riddled with bugs, they just released 1 of 4 story DLC, and there is lag in combat, (confirmed and a fix in the works) but still, the in game interface is terrible, so is the in game interface for DS2, plus skyrim, I really hate this game, but because of consoles, and the game getting dumbed down, skyrim is a very bad game IMO, and the interface is made for a consoller, not K&M, not like the morrowind interface, ok that game has its flaws too, but is still a very good game

but PC gamers have been getting the short end of the stick in recent years, publishers are turning their back on PC games, and only giving us half backed console ports, EA is a good example, even though DA:O is a decent game, its still not a stratch on Bioware's older titles, BG 1 and 2, but EA are just really about giving people FPS after FPS after FPS, oh sure there is / was C&C generals 2, but now canned, its turned into a F2P game, and they have butchered the C&C name since they took over Westwood, and even Bioware is internally dissolving, with at least 3 people leaving, the two founders, and a lead designer or something, on top of whoever else has left

now take a look at Activsion, since taking over Blizzard, blizzard have fallen from grace, D3 is a mess, and is broken at the core, no amount of patches will ever fix it, as long as there is a RMAH attached to it, decent droprates will never happen, and because someone is always dependent on the primary stat on a class on a weapon then DPS, there was a graphic showing the difference between 2 and 3, and how messed up the loot system in 3 is, OK D3 isn't on consoles, but I feel that activsion had a huge hand shaping the game, and there is the new WOW expansion, and how lame that has become (plus in endgame, players are too depended on having to spend huge amounts of gold or real money to get decent gear)

publishers aren't very good now, they don't support the PC gamer anymore, since KS, many old games have come back, stuff that publishers won't touch with a barge pole,

but yeah, I really, really hope PE NEVER comes to consoles, as no PC gamer will ever back OE again, if this happens, as its PC gamers money that has gone to fund this game, so the game is first and foremost a PC game, to get it on consoles will require a lot of work a new interface and more, and ultimately OE may lose the license to the name / their ideas, as the publisher will take all the credit and funds from the console versions, so OE probably won't get hardly any profit from it, plus lets not forgot, at least one publisher (maybe more) DID contact OE to try and control the IP, by saying you OE makes the game, then the publisher will sell the game on OE behalf, but then OE will lose the IP, I don't want that to happen

PC games are making a comeback, KS is successful as its mostly PC games (for games that is) that are made, if any KS project gets publisher involvement, this news will sweep across the internet and will destroy not only that developer studio but the KS and trust in making games, publisher are I think afraid of KS, maybe another reason why they wanted to control the game after release

in the end, publishers won't change, they are like dinosaurs, and not admitting to the change, they have been telling PC and console players for too long, what kind of games they want to release, what kind of games people want to see, and other games are been left behind, like the classic RPGs, Space sims and the like and other old style games that we used to play in the 90's like the classic worms, C&C 1, Cannon fodder and many many other classics

KS is a chance to bring some of those games back to life, or at the very least the style of games back to life, something that publishers have resisted for far too long

its time for fight back, take game making away from publishers, tell publishers what kind of games WE want to see, and most of all, put PC gaming back on the map!!!

Edited by matthewfarmery
  • Like 2

no thank you.

Consoles have plenty of RPGs and are fairly dominated by jRPG games. I think that while some may be intrigued, the amount of extra money, and effort to publicize this to console gamers, get publishing, distribution for now up to 5-6 formats, any other licensing fees, etc.

Its not worth it.

Make the game right, without constraint and a dual focus on, how can we make this awesome on the PC.. and oh yeah we need to worry about refactoring everything for a console, and gamepads, and accessibility that we normally wouldnt..

The split in development power, and focus for a project like this would be silly imo.

• Like 1

i do not like your idea because there is less time for obsdian to complete the game.

^

Edit: Even though its for after the game is released, i rather have all the excess funds/resource goes into making the Expansion(s).

If they can make money, they'll do it.

If they can please fans, they'll do it.

I see them making a console version in 2015.

No.

• Like 1
Plane-Scape-Torment-1-icon.pngBaldur-s-Gate-2-icon.pngIcewind-Dale-4-icon.pngFallout-2-icon.pngArcanum-1-icon.png

Console can't handle isometric 2D RTS/RPG.

So, don't count on it.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I really hope they port this to the Wii ...

Make the best PC game possible? Sure. Does that preclude a console version? No, it doesn't.

My vote for a console would be PlayStaion.

-Aaron

Not sure if trolling...

They want to do PC (and mac) only game without publisher, so why would they waste any money doing expensive console port is beyond me. Without publisher they would have to pay the licensing fees which are high so why would they pay them by themselves since there's a very good chance that the game wont sell on consoles?

The publishers would demand changes and at least part of the IP so why would they work with publisher since they specifically stated that they want to work without publisher so that they can keep the IP completely by themselves?

Edited by jarpie

Die, thread, die!

Oh, this thread will die...

...when we get official confirmation of console versions. Then we'll move to discussing the details of console ports and of course the game itself.:)

If making console versions was cheap and did not require much extra work and did not change the game significantly, every single game on the planet would be available for every single platform.

The simple and incontestable truth is that making a PC-only game into a PC/PS3/Xbox version is extremely (like, extremely) expensive, time-consuming, difficult, and changes all versions of the game from the beginning; the only real way to partly mitigate those costs is to make really, really shoddy ports.

So there's only one question. Do you think console versions are still worth it for P:E? Or not? Opinion can diverge there, sure. But there's no arguing with the above facts.

• Like 1

...when we get official confirmation of console versions. Then we'll move to discussing the details of console ports and of course the game itself. :)

It was confirmed back in September. People just need to pay attention and actually read threads and interviews. :p Link in sig.

Q: Are consoles or tablet versions on Project Eternity's stretch goal list?

Feargus Urquhart: No they're not. It's a game that goes back to the roots of the great RPG games of the past and the focus of those was keyboard and mouse. Not that console games aren't great; they're just different. There's a big difference between Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance [for consoles] and Baldur's Gate II [for PC]. And we don't want to create some camel in the middle to try to straddle a line. It's do one thing or another, and we're going to try to do the PC and do that right.

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)