[Merged] Please make a console version!

The abominable user interface of Skyrim and the decline of Dragon Age with it's second installment into an action game rather than RPG (to name 2 recent examples) are perfect examples of why console versions are detriment to the cRPG genre.

I can't even imagine how a game like BG would be played with a console controller. (I think a tablet's touchscreen would go pretty well with it though.)

Make it turn based in combat and all characters follow the leader out of combat would be the only way I can think to handle BG on a console. I may lack imagination in this area though.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have already cited several examples of similar games that have achieved great success on consoles while neither PC nor console releases suffered from multiplatform nature of these games.

Every single game You mentioned was much less complex than any given IE game. KotOR? Ok, it's quite complex, but not even close to BG/BG2/PT. And what is the difference between them? Yep, the games You mentioned was released on consoles, why IE games wasn't. Now I think You should understand our reaction for the idea of consol veriosn of PE.

console ports would be great for attracting a large number of young players

Yes, and it is exactly what fans of old, IE games don't want: making a game that is great for young players. They want old-school, mature, not-dumbed-down game for real gamers, not some young, kill-em-all casuals, for whom the dialogue options should indicate if it's good or bad option to understand anything.

You want a casual game that is great for young, console players? There is plenty of them in mainstream market (Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, to name just the most popular)

Edited by Tenebrael
  • Like 3

I have already cited several examples of similar games that have achieved great success on consoles while neither PC nor console releases suffered from multiplatform nature of these games.

Every single game You mentioned was much less complex than any given IE game. KotOR? Ok, it's quite complex, but not even close to BG/BG2/PT. And what is the difference between them? Yep, the games You mentioned was released on consoles, why IE games wasn't. Now I think You should understand our reaction for the idea of consol veriosn of PE.

console ports would be great for attracting a large number of young players

Yes, and it is exactly what fans of old, IE games don't want: making a game that is great for young players. They want old-school, mature, not-dumbed-down game for real gamers, not some young, kill-em-all casuals, for whom the dialogue options should indicate if it's good or bad option to understand anything.

You want a casual game that is great for young, console players? There is plenty of them in mainstream market (Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, to name just the most popular)

Now, you're making us look old and grumpy for no reaso... hey, get off my lawn over there!

• Like 8

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

The abominable user interface of Skyrim and the decline of Dragon Age with it's second installment into an action game rather than RPG (to name 2 recent examples) are perfect examples of why console versions are detriment to the cRPG genre.

I can't even imagine how a game like BG would be played with a console controller. (I think a tablet's touchscreen would go pretty well with it though.)

Make it turn based in combat and all characters follow the leader out of combat would be the only way I can think to handle BG on a console. I may lack imagination in this area though.

Actually, how did Dragon Age: Origins work on consoles? Because I imagine the IE games would work at least a little bit similar to that if you were to try and convert them.

Butyeah, I agree that this game is being made for PCs, with no dumbing down or simplifying (about time PC gamers started getting something more after years of dealing with more and more DRM driving people away) and so if they were going to do a console version it would have to be after this is done. Maybe if enough people wanted it they could make a Kickstarter for that purpose. Myself, I'm happy to always try to find a PC version of any game I like.

• Like 1

Actually, how did Dragon Age: Origins work on consoles? Because I imagine the IE games would work at least a little bit similar to that if you were to try and convert them.

DA: O was drastically simplified in comparison to any IE game. That's how it worked on consoles.

Edited by norolim

I doubt this game will get much appreciation from MOST of the console crowd anyway. I say most because I know there are those more mature adults who owns a console too, and probably a small group of young gamer who could appreciate a complex isometric RPG game like this.

But that group is probably too small to make the effort worth it. And when you consider that fact that this game wouldn't need the most powerful PC and you can probably play it on most PC or laptop, its hard to justify the additional time and money for it.

• Like 1

*starts petting his cat whilst sitting on a creepy chair*

Yes... YES! Make a crappy console port so that console peoples know what it's been like for the last whole decade and a half! Muahahahha, muahahahahhaha!!

*laughing starts to shift - slowly but surely - into an uncontrollable and wimpy sobbing which is quick in making his cat depart, to never come back again*

Edited by Tychoxi
  • Like 6

As a PC only game, it makes me said that my fellow PC at like jerkwads to the TC and other people for voicing their opinions on the console version.

While I think this game should be released on the PC and Mac first, I'm not opposed to a release of a console version if they have the time and funds for it.

And for the record, while you have less buttons for keybinds, you don't have to simplify controls for the game to work on Consoles, especially when consoles have alternate methods to control games (Wii remote, mouse and keyboard, etc). In fact, as a game designer, I actually think the wii remote is arguably better than the mouse at times.

I do not understand this attitude! My firm belief is that every good game should be available to largest possible number of players. There is no reason for this game to be limited to PC platform:

Indeed, this is how publishers think as well. That games should be played by as many people as possible.

That is to say, the reason Obsidian went to Kickstarter in the first place was so they didn't have to make any compromises to make sure that the game would brought by 'as many people as possible'.

---

There are a lot people on these forums which are very elitist old school rpg kinda guys. I'm generally against them and am for modernize things a bit more but... making a console port would be a really bad idea.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

The reason its for PC only is because the team doesn't want to have to dumb it down for consoles. Not saying that console players are dumb, but interface and control options are severely limited due to the gamepad vs keyboard and mouse. Who knows if they might port it to consoles eventually though.

that's what avellone already said. the pad is too limited when it comes to control a 6 member party in a tactical manner. modern console rpg use AI to cover for the lack of precise controls and often remove characteristics of the gameplay (friendly fire in aoe magic, precise positioning of the party to use skills and attacks like flanking) that require more precision than what the pad can offer

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Look at Dragon Age 2 and tell me console ports are a good idea. I'm fairly confident that one of the main reasons that game was so awful was because it was rushed out the door as cheap and nasty as possible to be played by console gamers.

Hell Dragon Age 1's release was held back by a year just so EA could port it over to consoles first.

• Like 1

im pretty sure Eternity will be ported to consoles if it is successful enough on PC, whether we like it or not. Obsidians ultimate goal is to make money after all. so if Eternity achieve critical acclaim and good sales on PC and if there is enough demand from console gamers theyre definitely going to make console ports.

I will be happy as long as they start working on ports after the release of PC version or outsource them to some other company. that way we will be sure that game is designed for PC first and that money they earn from kickstarter will be spent for the development of eternity and not used for console ports.

Some stuff I read here is beyond annoying.:( Why SHOULD'T this be on consoles? I played first Dragon Age from start to finish on my PS3 SEVERAL TIMES. That game was fully enjoyable with a gamepad. I HATE HATE HATE this silly idea that only PC gamers enjoy complex RPGs and that PC games are only ones who are being "dumbed down" for console "peasants". That crap needs to DIE. I hated Dragon Age 2 and so did bunch of other console gamers. Hell, i played Tactics Ogre on PSP last year and that stuff was far more complex and had more choices and cosequences than 99% recent WRPGs.;) valkyria chronicles? Demon/Dark Souls? Final fantasy tactics? Disgaea? Any Shin Megami Tensei? Do you want more? There is a large market for both western and japanese hardcore RPGs on consoles. Anyone who says otherwise speaks complete BS.

Some stuff I read here is beyond annoying. :( Why SHOULD'T this be on consoles? I played first Dragon Age from start to finish on my PS3 SEVERAL TIMES. That game was fully enjoyable with a gamepad. I HATE HATE HATE this silly idea that only PC gamers enjoy complex RPGs and that PC games are only ones who are being "dumbed down" for console "peasants". That crap needs to DIE. I hated Dragon Age 2 and so did bunch of other console gamers. Hell, i played Tactics Ogre on PSP last year and that stuff was far more complex and had more choices and cosequences than 99% recent WRPGs. ;) valkyria chronicles? Demon/Dark Souls? Final fantasy tactics? Disgaea? Any Shin Megami Tensei? Do you want more? There is a large market for both western and japanese hardcore RPGs on consoles. Anyone who says otherwise speaks complete BS.

(Avellone interview)

Avellone: "[i'm] tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers."

"Those limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience," he told me.

Since you believe Avellone is only speaking complete BS--an actual game dev who knows way more than you about actual game implementation--then I guess it's time for you to leave. ;) (P.S.: It's completely irrelevant what games you played on console. For PE, it's only relevant if you liked PS:T, BG, IWD. Especially PS:T for all the dialogue and choices/consequence content.)

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Some stuff I read here is beyond annoying. :( Why SHOULD'T this be on consoles? I played first Dragon Age from start to finish on my PS3 SEVERAL TIMES. That game was fully enjoyable with a gamepad. I HATE HATE HATE this silly idea that only PC gamers enjoy complex RPGs and that PC games are only ones who are being "dumbed down" for console "peasants". That crap needs to DIE. I hated Dragon Age 2 and so did bunch of other console gamers. Hell, i played Tactics Ogre on PSP last year and that stuff was far more complex and had more choices and cosequences than 99% recent WRPGs. ;) valkyria chronicles? Demon/Dark Souls? Final fantasy tactics? Disgaea? Any Shin Megami Tensei? Do you want more? There is a large market for both western and japanese hardcore RPGs on consoles. Anyone who says otherwise speaks complete BS.

I love the MegaTen games. But I wouldn't necessarily demand they release Persona 5 on the PC any more than I'd demand they release Project Eternity on the PS3 (or 4 or Vita or whichever system eventually gets Persona 5).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Some stuff I read here is beyond annoying. :( Why SHOULD'T this be on consoles?

If you made an effort to read the thread, you would know why. It's been explained many taimes and in detail. Besides, you're not going to convince anyone, if you use arguments about "peasants."

I'm sorry if my post seemed insulting or trollish.:(

However, I REALLY do not see how it is irrelevant that there are tons of difficult and deep console RPGs. Some guys here sound like they really belive that console RPG = Mass Effect & FF XIII. That's just silly and ignorant.

I remember when PC gamers begged for PC port of Dark Souls, I'd never play that game on PC but I supported those who requested PC version. I really ejoyed playing both Souls games and I belived that there is a market for that kind of RPG on PC even if I never was really PC gamer myself. It's sad that some PC gamers are not capable of the same.:(

Huge number of console gamers LOVED Dragon Age Origins and it's sad that game won't get proper sequel. Now Obsidian is making that exact kind of WRPG but unfortunately only for PC.:( PLEASE understand why some of us want this kind of game on consoles and why are we even willing to BEG for port.