A suggestion for the romances you're considering (if any)

I think that in such a deep game there will be different romances available. It can combine an amazon nympho character and stone cold traumatized beauty and passionate insanely jealous lesbian rogue and feeling incredibly guilty gay elf ranger. As long as it is good I don't care.

But please, PLEASE, do at least a single "normal" girl which falls in love with crazy main character! I'm really tired of situations normal character - crazy girl. I want to be a bit crazy with girl stopping me from madness, not vise verse!!!!

Oi! You're forgetting the romance options for female characters!

Unless the "stone cold traumatized beauty" is a man.

In which case I am all on board for that lineup.

• Like 1

In Bioware's defense, didn't Morrigan's romance actually hugely affect the plot?

In the same manner that any plot device affects BW's plot...it didn't.

You romance her, you get one extra sentence when she ask you for a child.

You don't romance her, she still ask you for a child.

And the world kept on turning.

And there's the rub re: Videogame Romances

It's frivolous filler meant to satisfy some juvenile urge and that is all. It doesn't help make the game any better or deeper or realisic or IMMERSIVE. It simply makes the lonely person playing the game who says "I want kiss my graphic sprites" the beautiful and overwhelming sensation of companionship that can only be had from a few clumsily-written lines of game-text coupled with tiny graphic icons. Awesome.

:dancing:

That's just like... your opinion man... :)

• Like 1

I actually agree with this -- I was only arguing against the statement "There wouldn't be any consequences if bi-sexuality was the default sexuality in a society", which I feel is an absurd statement. And note: I'm not saying that the consequences would be catastrophic, either, just that there would be some consequences that have to be dealt with.

Yes because I can already see a fantasy world Fox News reporting on "Homosexuals and how they summon dragons to kidnap your children"

Obviously, you didn't see my earlier post (it was, admittedly, a while back). If there was a 50-50 breakdown between homosexual couples and hetrosexual couples, this would have signficant impacts on the meaning of the word "family" -- namely, 50% of the couples would be childless barring some sort of intervention (adoption, seeking a partner of the opposite sex, etc.) and the hetrosexual couples would need to have large families to maintain population. Exploring these ramifications would actually be quite intersting, in my mind, but I can't justify the time spent on addressing these issues if it takes away from the core gameplay / story. Thus, I would prefer to simply ignore the issue altogether (and have all potential romance couples be bisexual, and nobody thinks that's unusual).

OHH MMYY GAAWWWD.

Why this is such a hot topic nowadays is BEYOND me. Now I am sorry for bumping this, I really am, but I wanted to share my 12 cents on the subject.

I don't have a problem with romances (bromances, whatever you crazy kats are calling it now). Just by observing other forums, people asking for said romances don't give a flying **** if it's a well written one. I'm going to keep this short because I don't feel like wasting more keystrokes on the subject -- If there are any romances, make it genuine one. Don't give us romance options for the sake of pleasing the lowest common denominator.

There's already a company out there willing to go that far. . .

--

This will be my first and last post on the subject.

• Like 5

It's frivolous filler meant to satisfy some juvenile urge and that is all. It doesn't help make the game any better or deeper or realisic or IMMERSIVE. It simply makes the lonely person playing the game who says "I want kiss my graphic sprites" the beautiful and overwhelming sensation of companionship that can only be had from a few clumsily-written lines of game-text coupled with tiny graphic icons. Awesome.

See, I actually believe the opposite. I think those who are steadfastly opposed to romances in video games are likely to be the lonely ones IRL. Since relationships aren't a regular part of their lives, they have trouble viewing their inclusion in video games as anything other than masturbatory pandering. OTOH, if you are habitually in relationships, it seems weird that your character isn't in one. I mean, in most games, you're playing a world-shaking hero who is awesomely competent and probably quite rich from all those sweet monsters loots- why the hell wouldn't such a person have a girlfriend/boyfriend?

• Like 1

One of the biggest strengths of an RPG is that it tells a good story. A GOOD romance can make for a good story. Of course any element to a story if done well can make for a good story. Well written villans, well written companions, a rich backstory and a variety of well written quests can make for an amazing game. I think the choice to include a romance in the game ultimately comes down to the devs. I think if they treat the romance with the same maturity that they treat any other plot element then it will be a bonus to the story.

I do understand where a lot of hate for the romances comes from. It seems recently that most video game romances are ripped right out of a Twilight novel.

Player: I find you strangely attractive.

LoveSlave#1: I want your baby.

Player: Lets have passionate sex by the fire while hopefully our companions stay in their tents.

LoveSlave#1: If I die in battle, will you cry for me?

Player: Nope, I have no ability to react to anything that happens outside of a few scripted events.

• Like 3

I'm just waiting for this thread to evolve into the "we need gay romances" from Bioware forums.

Waiting with a shotgun.

Just for the record if there are straight relationships why can't there be gay relationships? You don't need to pursue them but the option is there.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

See, I actually believe the opposite. I think those who are steadfastly opposed to romances in video games are likely to be the lonely ones IRL. Since relationships aren't a regular part of their lives, they have trouble viewing their inclusion in video games as anything other than masturbatory pandering. OTOH, if you are habitually in relationships, it seems weird that your character isn't in one. I mean, in most games, you're playing a world-shaking hero who is awesomely competent and probably quite rich from all those sweet monsters loots- why the hell wouldn't such a person have a girlfriend/boyfriend?

You are, of course, free to believe what you like but I'd be willing to wager most people with healthy social lives do not post on videogame message boards asking for the inclusion of romances. This topic never even occured to me until other people started to post here about the subject.

Edited by Pidesco
No need to attack fans of other companies.
  • Like 4

I can't come up with nothing more to say except I think your assertion is a ridiculous one and I also think you are over analyzing the topic at hand.

. . . Yes, yes, I'm a walking contradiction.

• Like 1

You are, of course, free to believe what you like but I'd be willing to wager most people with healthy social lives do not post on videogame message boards asking for the inclusion of romances. This topic never even occurred to me until other people started to post here about the subject.

Huh? What you saying makes no sense and you can't produce any evidence to suggest that people, like me, who want relationships in a game ask for them because they are socially inadequate in RL. Seriously lad, you are making massive assumptions?

Edited by Pidesco
Consistency

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You are, of course, free to believe what you like but I'd be willing to wager most people with healthy social lives do not post on videogame message boards asking for the inclusion of romances. This topic never even occured to me until other people started to post here about the subject.

People who have healthy social lives often post on videogame message boards asking for the inclusion of romances when they're at work and don't have anything to do.

Edited by Pidesco
consistency
  • Like 1

"People with healthy social lives..." "...tards". Ugh, so you are *that* guy. Gratz on tellin' how it is

...*slow clap*...

Edited by Pidesco
consistency
  • Like 1

I don't know, some of the people I know who are most passionate about video game romances are actually happily married with children. Not all of them, of course, but enough that I think it's unfair to stereotype.

EDIT:

Bestiality has been part of human history for a long time now. And "Good" and "Evil" are social constructs like many other stuff. I could justify anything in a game if I wanted but that's not the point.

I'm not sure comparing homosexuality to bestiality is helping your case any.

Anyhow, my point was that while I agree Obsidian shouldn't feel pressured to add LGBT characters (nor anything else) for the sake of political correctness that if they did want to add LGBT options, there's a perfectly valid precedent for it in history. So they shouldn't feel pressured from the opposite side either - that homosexuality is somehow a new, "modern" cultural phenomenon... because it's not.

Edited by Nivenus
  • Like 1

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

People who have healthy social lives often post on videogame message boards asking for the inclusion of romances when they're at work and don't have anything to do.

What does the time of day have to do with anything? We're talking about a group of people demanding a silly thing from a video game. Who cares what time of the day they're utilizing to make their demands? The demand is no less silly for it.

What does the time of day have to do with anything? We're talking about a group of people demanding a silly thing from a video game. Who cares what time of the day they're utilizing to make their demands? The demand is no less silly for it.

If that's the way you feel, why are you even posting in this forum? Virtually this entire place is devoted to people asking the devs to include stuff they care about in the game.

If that's the way you feel, why are you even posting in this forum? Virtually this entire place is devoted to people asking the devs to include stuff they care about in the game.

It's also dedicated to having discussions and giving feedback on what we don't want. Romances in video games are terrible and are never done well. They aren't needed for a good story. That's just crazy talk.

And I'm not sure why we have another one of these threads when one was closed yesterday.

Edited by Grimlorn

It's also dedicated to having discussions and giving feedback on what we don't want. Romances in video games are terrible and are never done well. They aren't needed for a good story. That's just crazy talk.

And I'm not sure why we have another one of these threads when one was closed yesterday.

Heres the weird part, you won't change our minds about Romance\Sex in the game yet you continue to comment against what we want? Why don't you start a thread entitled " I don't want Romance\Sex" and then you can debate all the reasons you don't want relationships in the game until the cows come home. I promise not to comment in your thread. I am not trying to offend you but we have reached an impasse as you pointed out so lets leave each others views alone.

• Like 1

John Milton 

I (midly) support romances, but regardless: It is completely silly to segregate people proposing doing something and those opposing it to seperate threads. The whole purpose is to debate the merits / costs of a proposal as each individual sees it so that the developers can amuse themselves determine whether or not to include the featuring being discussed. It would be a very short (and boring) thread if the only people allowed to post were people that were for romances.

• Like 3

Heres the weird part, you won't change our minds

Here's the weird part: we're not trying to change your minds. In fact...this has absolutely nothing to do with "you".

Excellent, then don't comment on threads that want romance\sex. You made your point perfectly clear. I appreciate the input.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I (midly) support romances, but regardless: It is completely silly to segregate people proposing doing something and those opposing it to seperate threads. The whole purpose is to debate the merits / costs of a proposal as each individual sees it so that the developers can amuse themselves determine whether or not to include the featuring being discussed. It would be a very short (and boring) thread if the only people allowed to post were people that were for romances.

Normally I would say debate is healthy, but we won't agree so the points raised agagainst Romance\Sex are generally the same and become repetitive.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

They've already closed a few of these threads. I believe everyone's voice has been heard . . . repeatedly. I personally don't care and leave it in the hands of the incredible team developing this game. They know the direction they want to take.

I really, really hope this won't become a daily thread.