Please include women with shirts on.

Nudity should be included though (for both sexes).

Pasted on underwear for men and women is the worst.

I don't understand why American games run away from nudity like it's satanism.

Because it's generally childish and gratuitous and thus comes off like fanservice--something that doesn't belong in an immersive role playing game in my opinion. I'd rather not Lollipop Chainsaw up my RPG's if I can avoid it. Violence can certainly reach gratuitous proportions too. I'm not saying it can't be done properly, though I admit I'd still rather not have my wife come in and see a a topless elf on my screen ;)

People aren't usually looking for nudity in games in order to contribute to the plot or ambiance of the game.

Edited by Nefastus
  • Like 1

People aren't usually looking for nudity in games in order to contribute to the plot or ambiance of the game.

And this is why Planescape:Torment has such a cult following for being the best in re plot and immersive depth. I think the main male PC showed the most skin. There was no actual nudity anywhere in the game besides, I think, a statue?

Content first. :)

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Because it's generally childish and gratuitous and thus comes off like fanservice--something that doesn't belong in an immersive role playing game in my opinion. I'd rather not Lollipop Chainsaw up my RPG's if I can avoid it. Violence can certainly reach gratuitous proportions too. I'm not saying it can't be done properly, though I admit I'd still rather not have my wife come in and see a a topless elf on my screen ;)

Yes but still having it is good.

Why so prudish aboust such a basic thing? It'd be like not having blood.

• Like 1

It doesn't bother me, the issue I'm bringing up is a legal one - it depends on the country of course, but it may be easier just to sidestep it altogether. If I recall correctly Fallout 1 and 2 had this problem with the inclusion of children in the game world. Fan patches did uncensor the regional versions with censored children though.

Why is it good to have it? Brushing one's teeth is a basic thing too, but I don't see anyone arguing that it would be good if that was included in the game. How about a laundry mini-game? Would you care that that was included? The reason most people want nudity in games, the reason sex sells, is precisely because it's not "basic". It's not an ordinary, run of the mill thing, it's exciting for very particular reasons, and reasons that typically have zero to do with the game itself. As such it tends to break immersion in the game. Sure, games are essentially about escapism and out-of-the-ordinary excitement anyways, but I want it to be a coherent, focused escapism, not a hodgepodge of whatever the developer feels might appeal to someone out there. If video games want to be seen as a valid art form rather than crass consumerist drivel , it needs to be more Dostoyevsky (or perhaps Tolkien in the case of fantasy RPG's), and less Penthouse. Each aspect of it must serve the whole in some respect. Again, I'm not saying it can't be done legitimately, and I'm not expecting any game to be a momentous artistic achievement or for the game to be entirely humorless and take itself absolutely seriously at all times, but I do hope the developer's perspective is "content first" as Ieo said.

I don't know about you, but in my opinion many of the very best games ever made were made back in the 80's and especially the 90's, and very few of those had gratuitous sex, violence, or even language in them and yet they managed to be extremely coherent and compelling. Many of them still managed to be "mature" games in content without checking off many boxes on the ESRB's list. In contrast, I would say many games (and other media) that get a "mature" rating today often are anything but. I don't mean to advocate for a G-rated game, just that this type of content should be in service to the plot, rather than added for cheap thrills.

Edited by Nefastus
  • Like 2

Why is it good to have it? Brushing one's teeth is a basic thing too, but I don't see anyone arguing that it would be good if that was included in the game. How about a laundry mini-game? Would you care that that was included? The reason most people want nudity in games, the reason sex sells, is precisely because it's not "basic". It's not an ordinary, run of the mill thing, it's exciting for very particular reasons, and reasons that typically have zero to do with the game itself. As such it tends to break immersion in the game. Sure, games are essentially about escapism and out-of-the-ordinary excitement anyways, but I want it to be a coherent, focused escapism, not a hodgepodge of whatever the developer feels might appeal to someone out there. If video games want to be seen as a valid art form rather than crass consumerist drivel , it needs to be more Dostoyevsky (or perhaps Tolkien in the case of fantasy RPG's), and less Penthouse. Each aspect of it must serve the whole in some respect. Again, I'm not saying it can't be done legitimately, and I'm not expecting any game to be a momentous artistic achievement or for the game to be entirely humorless and take itself absolutely seriously at all times, but I do hope the developer's perspective is "content first" as Ieo said.

I don't know about you, but in my opinion many of the very best games ever made were made back in the 80's and especially the 90's, and very few of those had gratuitous sex, violence, or even language in them and yet they managed to be extremely coherent and compelling. Many of them still managed to be "mature" games in content without checking off many boxes on the ESRB's list. In contrast, I would say many games (and other media) that get a "mature" rating today often are anything but. I don't mean to advocate for a G-rated game, just that this type of content should be in service to the plot, rather than added for cheap thrills.

Becasue when I loot a character and take everything they own then I should take everything they own.

Or when I enter the whorehouse or brothel having them in bikinis is stupid.

The good things about games like these are that they can let you push extremes through text.

Edited by ComradeGoby

Becasue when I loot a character and take everything they own then I should take everything they own.

Who loots underwear?

A character specifically made to push a specific agenda of game design, even though the chances of the game emulating/conditioning the need to loot underwear is none.

Oh dear, I was beaten to it.

Edited by Delterius

Who loots underwear?

How else are you going to get the golem armor in the third game?
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Who loots underwear?

How else are you going to get the golem armor in the third game?

Clarification: Armor for a golem or armor that turns you into a golem? It's vitally important that I know this in advance. For... research.

Edited by LadySpace
  • Like 1

I haven't earned an entertaining and meaningful signature yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will indeed.

I see that Mr Sawyer has pretty much got the 'sensible armour' covered so I will not blather on about that. Something else I would like to see though is the player not being treated like their character (and by extension the player) is male or gay as default.

In my opinion there are RPG's where the female NPC's act like the PNPC is the last burger in hungry town and the male ones treat you like chopped liver :p. I have nothing against gay NPC's but to have the whole world act like that is disconcerting. I understand that it's difficult to please everyone but it's something that irritates me. I thought I would mention it here rather than make a new thread.

Tangential perhaps, but I can see a possible design choice to make the majority of armour (and clothing I guess) not lootable at all - rationalise this by reasonably stating that in the act of murdering wearer of said attire, you have also rendered their gear unsalvagably repaired. For one, this will cut down on OCD looting tendencies and prevent the absurd scenario of carrying multiple sets of full plate in one's backpack. I'm also in favour of the angle of having your gear acquisition be more "special" than lucking out on a dropped piece of loot.

Back to the nudity thing - I do absolutely support it in context, in that it's pointless having to force the direction to imply it rather than just show it. A comparison would be how the 60s Batman depicted violence (fun as it was). I like how The Witcher 2 for example does it. And in a game setting where a strip club is a reasonable location to implement, it'd be the same. Not sure this new medieval-era gameworld would manage to fit any relevant context in, however - limited as my knowledge of old-timey whorehouses is, I'm not sure you'll find the, ahem, merchandise lounging around unclad in the lobby. :p

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I don't know about you guys, but in every Elder Scrolls game I've roleplayed as a serial killer that leaves a copy of "The Lusty Argonian Maid" at the scene of every crime. If Obsidian doesn't support this roleplaying choice, then I cannot in good conscience endorse their products.

That book might be the pinnacle of High Art

Edited by Delterius

I don't know about you guys, but in every Elder Scrolls game I've roleplayed as a serial killer that leaves a copy of "The Lusty Argonian Maid" at the scene of every crime. If Obsidian doesn't support this roleplaying choice, then I cannot in good conscience endorse their products.

I used to run around the Imperial Marketplace murdering people, stripping them naked and leaving their bodies in sexual positions, lasciviously draped all along the promenade...good times :lol:

Edited by WDeranged