i think games aren't for real because characters aren't provably there.

Prosper

A game must be for real. The game industry is therefore in serious trouble. if the truth of a game is its plot simulation, it is not a game. your choices must create and destroy plot. not be coded logic selection of predetermined ideas triggered by clicks and button presses.

edit: edited for my own safety.

Edited by Prosper

redacted

Simulation is no more than means of engagement. The truth of the game is the existence of the game, but plot may or may not be game. Plot or character may be no more than rock or sky. Conflict is paramount, not simulation.

Live long and Prosper.

There is no safety 'Net.

A game must be for real. The game industry is therefore in serious trouble. if the truth of a game is its plot simulation, it is not a game. your choices must create and destroy plot. not be coded logic selection of predetermined ideas triggered by clicks and button presses.

edit: edited for my own safety.

philosoraptor.jpg?1291090164

• Like 2

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you, Prosper. Games are not for real, the characters don't seem to have a reasonable motive for being where they are and often don't seem to be a product of the game world environment. Also, to succeed, games should be more than a plot with pre-determined button mashing that bottle-neck into decisions that are largely non-emergent.

Have you tried Sims 3 and any of the empire building games?

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

So... you're saying that video games aren't real, because the characters depicted are imaginary? Thus, the binary information stored in various media in various locations on Earth and accessed by various machines and interacted with by various persons, does not exist? By that standard, it would seem the internet is not real, forums.obsidian.net is not real, and this thread is not real. Your registered profile is not real, and you could not possibly have created this nonexistent thread on this ethereal discussion medium. You have declared hypothetical thoughts to be impossible, so no ancient man ever imagined a way of transporting fresh water across sizable distances via tunnels in the rock, or via tubes made of clay or lead.

Prosper, my dear friend, you just died of Dysentery.

Edited by AGX-17

So... you're saying that video games aren't real, because the characters depicted are imaginary? Thus, the binary information stored in various media in various locations on Earth and accessed by various machines and interacted with by various persons, does not exist? By that standard, it would seem the internet is not real, forums.obsidian.net is not real, and this thread is not real. Your registered profile is not real, and you could not possibly have created this nonexistent thread on this ethereal discussion medium. You have declared hypothetical thoughts to be impossible, so no ancient man ever imagined a way of transporting fresh water across sizable distances via tunnels in the rock, or via tubes made of clay or lead.

I think I'm off my meds again, could somebody translate?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think my next pet cat in a crpg is going to be called "Schrödinger" :cat:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm still trying to figure out what Prosper's original post meant. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

His entire post is a logical fallacy, so I took it to a logical extreme.

If a video game can't exist simply because its characters are imagined, how can anything imagined exist, by that measure? If you imagined a method of transporting water, you could then plan and construct it. In Prosper's world, no such thing is possible. I chose the ancient transport of water as an example because I thought it would be funny to say he's just died of dysentery as a result of the logical paradox he created.

Edited by AGX-17

Is it there?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

In this day and age we should know better than to think virtual worlds are what we say they are. When the pedal meets the metal we are merely playing monopoly. These games are not for real. That should concern all of us considering we relate to them to understand them.

redacted

Is it there?

Of course it's there. The relevant question is whether it will stay alive so long as it's left unobserved!

In this day and age we should know better than to think virtual worlds are what we say they are. When the pedal meets the metal we are merely playing monopoly. These games are not for real. That should concern all of us considering we relate to them to understand them.

You seem to have made a thread in response to a claim that was not made (as the originating post of the thread was the response to the unmade claim.) Regardless, the point still stands. Information, from a scientific standpoint, "exists." The "game" is an abstraction of the human mind. Information exchanged between human minds. I haven't seen any post in the thread arguing that games are real life or that imagined characters in said games are living, breathing, physical organisms (or cold metal robots, for that matter.) I have seen a whole bunch of befuddled users.

And one suggesting that you have dysentery. For which should probably seek medical attention as soon as possible. You know how many people died on the Oregon Trail of dysentery?

Neither do I, but I'm pretty sure you don't want your tombstone reading "pepperony & chease."