So... Torchlight 2?

Enoch

Oh, there's a demo? Then I might actually try this afterall. I found the original to be a bit meh, but maybe they've improved enough for it to be worth another look.

Can you play co-op in the demo?

I don't think so, unfortunately. Lan and Internet shows as 'Disabled in Demo'.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I did enjoy the original Torchlight however found it a little repetitive after going through the dungeon and a hoard more levels of the endless dungeons level, however I'm truly enjoying Torchlight for what it's worth. All the classes play great and while I'm not really getting a great story out of the game, the gameplay is where this game succeeds.

Torchlight 2 has recieved aggregate ratings on Metacritic of 90% from critic reviews and 92% from user reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/torchlight-ii

That's pretty fantastic. And I agree with those reviews - this game is everything I wanted Diablo 3 to be. Everything they got wrong in Torchlight 1, they have improved on.

For comparison the first Torchlight game got 83% for from both users and critics.

It's great when a sequel turns out better than the original ... or at least equal to, but different.

How's the MP matchup/game side? Items?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's great when a sequel turns out better than the original ... or at least equal to, but different.

There's a server list you can use to search for games. I've used it a few times and have had a good time with it. Item distribution is similar to Diablo 3 where all the loot that falls is yours and only viewable to you.

I agree with the reviews, it definitely expands upon the first game in every way with the exception of the story, however the story isn't the reason I'm playing this game. Anyone else wanna join up sometime to play some MP, friend me on Steam: SadExchange

Enjoying the game, not fond of the stylised graphic style but it in no way diminishes the gameplay, the build possibilities and the variety of the gameworld.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There's a server list you can use to search for games. I've used it a few times and have had a good time with it. Item distribution is similar to Diablo 3 where all the loot that falls is yours and only viewable to you.

Is there a LAN option?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I played 2 player LAN with a mate. It's identical to single player, but with scaling monster difficulty and loot drops, as per Diablo 2. It was ****ing fun. Really fun. More fun than Diablo 2 multiplayer.

Teams are automatic. If somebody is near you in an area, you're considered to be one their team, and monsters become harder.

This game is extremely maths heavy if you want it to be - that is, if you want the values and figures they're all available SOMEWHERE on a game screen. I like that.

I’m enjoying the demo (especially since it works on my old laptop) going to get the full game once I get a replacement power supply for my desktop.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

sounds like it may be worth it even though i wasn't thrilled with part 1. Firaxis xcom coming out soon though, so torchlight 2 can wait till after i play that to death

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I d/l the demo last night and played up to the first quest turn in. Seems alright although the graphics arent my cup of tea. Didnt really notice it being any different from other games of this genre but I intend to play to the end of the demo so maybe that will change.

Graphically loud

I love that phrase, it fits what I thought of the graphics in Torchlight. Cartoonish I don't mind, bright vivid colors I don't mind, but there's something about TL that grates on me a bit, even while kind of being cool at the same time. I can't put my finger on it.

Anyway....my friends are at least all saying that it's much better than D3 in many ways, so I'm still going to give it a spin later. Is the demo very long?

I finished the demo earlier today and its a pretty good length if you do all the side quests. Seeming to go up to and through the first main boss. Gamepley wise the main difference I saw was the ability to spend 5 stat points per level up over 4 stats. Oh yeah, found a weapon that upgraded itself after 25 kills so that was an interesting mechanic. Also there are socketable weapons and armor. It feels very familiar but I would call "much better in many ways" a stretch. I know some of you guys like being able to build a retarded mage or a weakling tank so that may have some appeal.

Don't like it either. Graphically loud and intrusive, could'nt find the 'stay in place' button witch made it even more of a button mash.

It's still just Shift. Like it was and is in every other Diablo clone, including Diablo 2. ;)

I recommend people play up to at least the end of act 2 then decide. The game throws so many cool things at you by that stage that you'll definitely know if it is your cup of tea or not. Specifically, the devs took anything that was boring in Torchlight 1 and gave it some variety (particularly to try and remove the 'grind' feeling of TL1 and previous Diablo clones). I'm sure not everybody will feel they have succeeded, but this game is NOT Torchlight 1.

I love the bejesus out of Torchlight 2. It doesn't really do anything new, but what it does do it does really, really, really well. Classes and skills are cool and flexible enough to allow for a myriad of viable builds. Loot is well made and balanced. The environments are varied and interesting. Boss fights are badass. Most importantly, every single time I play the game I have a big goofy smile on my face. It's just really fun.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Oh yeah, found a weapon that upgraded itself after 25 kills so that was an interesting mechanic. Also there are socketable weapons and armor. It feels very familiar but I would call "much better in many ways" a stretch. I know some of you guys like being able to build a retarded mage or a weakling tank so that may have some appeal.

I think my friends are largely referring to the more varied loot and loot mechanics of TL2 vs D3, more than anything else. :)

No, not yet. Taking a small break from gaming after all the recent BL2 marathons. I may buy it outright instead, anyway, since it's relatively cheap.

I know some of you guys like being able to build a retarded mage or a weakling tank so that may have some appeal.

What's cool about Torchlight 2 is that you can do different builds and actually make them viable because the skill system is flexible enough to accommodate that. For example I play my Engineer as a Support/Summoner Tank. My role is to absorb damage, summon tons of troops, and protect my allies with force fields and heals (via Heal Bot). You could also build an Engineer as an offensive juggernaut smashing everything in sight with a 2-hander and AoE damage skills. You could go all out defense making a Dexterity and Vitality focused cannon wielding Engineer that will be dodging and blocking everything in sight. All 3 of those builds could work well and I'm sure there are other weirder builds that can be made to work, and that's just that 1 class.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I know some of you guys like being able to build a retarded mage or a weakling tank so that may have some appeal.

What's cool about Torchlight 2 is that you can do different builds and actually make them viable because the skill system is flexible enough to accommodate that. For example I play my Engineer as a Support/Summoner Tank. My role is to absorb damage, summon tons of troops, and protect my allies with force fields and heals (via Heal Bot). You could also build an Engineer as an offensive juggernaut smashing everything in sight with a 2-hander and AoE damage skills. You could go all out defense making a Dexterity and Vitality focused cannon wielding Engineer that will be dodging and blocking everything in sight. All 3 of those builds could work well and I'm sure there are other weirder builds that can be made to work, and that's just that 1 class.

My Engineer is a Flame Hammer + Blast Cannon physical damage build (weapon switching).

The plan is to get Focus to 50, Dex to 50, Vitality to enough for gear, then max Strength. The extra Strength will increase my physical damage, and the points in Dex will give me a big critical hit chance boost.

Both Flame Hammer and Blast Cannon cause Coup de Grace to proc. So when anything is stunned, it will kick in and cause a huge amount of Strength-dependent damage. It's a significant boost to damage output, and makes the playstyle more tactical - you try to ensure enemies are constantly stunned so that Coup de Grace nukes them.

Attack:

15 Blast Cannon (weapon DPS based means it is physical governed by the strength stat! also, this skills reduces enemy physical resistance when it hits them! and makes them blind!)

15 Flame Hammer (physical damage as above... yeah, I know it's odd. The burning status does however cause fire damage... which I estimate to be about 1/3 of the total damage of this skill... not enough to justify Fire and Spark, as it would only increase damage output by 25%, and wouldn't work at all on Blast Cannon I don't think)

Other:

15 Tremor (a huge, multi-facted skill that complements every aspect of this build, especially with stun and physical damage increase)

15 Coup de Grace (if an enemy is stunned when you hit them, you cause damage equal to a large multiple of your strength (around 15 times your Strength I think at max)

Defence:

15 Heal Bot (mana regen! life regen! armour boost for aegis!)

15 Max Bulwark (much coveted percentage damage reduction as well as an armour boost for aegis)

15 Max Aegis (tanky tank tank! forcefield costs mana and this build will likely need mana. also, forcefield feels more like being a glass cannon... not for me at the moment. Also, forcefield eats charge, which I want to save for Flame Hammer)

If by any chance any skills remain, I will put them in Heavy Lifting for the extra chance to stun.

Edited by Krezack
  • Like 1