So... Torchlight 2?

Enoch

Game releases September 20. Official Site

I haven't been following this all that much, but Torchlight was fun enough for what it is, and a friend is urging me to pick up the sequel for multiplayer purposes. For $20, I'm game. I looked for a thread here for informational purposes and didn't find one. As a good Forum citizen, then, it falls to me to start it.

So, consider this your Torchlight 2 discussion location. Thoughts? Hopes? Fears? Grievances?

Secondarily, this is going to expose how much of a fuddy-duddy I am, but... I have never played a multiplayer PC game. (Also, I've never played a multiplayer game any kind with participants who weren't in the same room with me.) I asked my friend how the MP would work, and most of what he said was fairly incomprehensible. I imagine that games nowadays are designed to make this easy to do, but would anybody care to fill me in on anything that I might need to know, tech-wise?

(I guess I also probably need to buy a microphone.)

I will say if the beta MP was anything like what the release MP is going to be, then if you'll be wanting to play MP, you'll create a server, either protected by a password you give to your friend, or leave it open for anyone to join. The character you play on MP will be the one you use on SP as well. As to how your friend's storyline will progress as he spends time in your character, I'm not quite sure, however, from my experience in the beta, the MP was pretty easy.

I'm looking forward to this game as well as I loved the first one. The beta showed a lot of promise and it appears that they've added quite a few things to the sequel that the first installment was missing. For $20, I don't think you can go wrong with this title.

I liked Fate (the precursor, I guess, to Torchlight) but I was only so-so about TL1. I did like its Diablo vibe, the "endless dungeon" concept for late-stage mucking around, and I like the pets (heh) but for some reason didn't like the dungeon design or the combat UI in TL1, even tho it wasn't too different from Fate. Felt awkward and clunky, I dunno. That said, with the disappointment of Diablo3, I'll probably give it a go. It sounds like they made improvements (don't care about the MP) and it's cheap. The only thing for me is that the character classes in TL2 don't initially appeal much, but that could change once I play them.

However, since they didn't release it until much later than I first expected, it's going to be put on hold until after the first obsessive playing of Borderlands 2 has passed. Unlike some people, I can only obsess on one game at a time. I don't like switching back and forth every day or couple days - I lose too much focus. :)

As to MP ... if it's client-side server based (vs. dedicated server), I might stick to LAN. But I dunno...client-side stuff has probably improved a lot these days. I didn't like it at all during the Diablo2 days, however. It would cause horrible lag between players at times (usually the host is fine but players who join would feel lagged), if connections weren't the same/distance great/pc differences etc. (edit) But if it's dedicated server service, then I'd imagine it's not much different than something like battle.net...very easy/simple to use)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

TL1 wasn't worth the money, so I've been cool on it; I'll watch the post-release impressions.

I found Torchlight reasonably worthwhile, but I only paid $5 for it. Normally, the sequel would be good "wait for a sale" fodder for me, too. But I figure that if early adoption leads to an evening or two of quasi-social entertainment with a few folks whose company I enjoy, the price premium is rather insignificant. (This is, of course, in the context of my particular economic circumstances-- a dozen years ago, things would've been different.)

Yeah, I don't typically mind "cartoony" graphics, but TL tends to take it a bit overboard for me. If D3 had been good, I probably wouldn't be considering TL2 at all, to be honest. But I always want more loot-based action games to replay during the winter months so...I'll give it a shot. Especially if BL2 disappoints me a lot. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

TL1 wasn't worth the money, so I've been cool on it; I'll watch the post-release impressions.

I found Torchlight reasonably worthwhile, but I only paid $5 for it. Normally, the sequel would be good "wait for a sale" fodder for me, too. But I figure that if early adoption leads to an evening or two of quasi-social entertainment with a few folks whose company I enjoy, the price premium is rather insignificant. (This is, of course, in the context of my particular economic circumstances-- a dozen years ago, things would've been different.)

Well that was my reasoning for Diablo 3, but that turned out well. :( Now some friends are bugging me for Guild Wars 2, but I don't know how long that'll last.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how much fun I'm having with Diablo 3!

(I'm joking, nobody's still playing Diablo 3.)

I've been reading that Diablo 3 is essentially a flop as far as MP is concerned (and none of my friends liked the single player at all)

What's the verdict?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how much fun I'm having with Diablo 3!

I've been reading that Diablo 3 is essentially a flop as far as MP is concerned (and none of my friends liked the single player at all)

What's the verdict?

Agree, and while I'm generally looking forward to Torchlight 2 because I really enjoy loot-based game. I believe I'll probably be spending a lot more time with Path of Exile.

I'm absolutely thrilled about Torchlight 2. It's at the top of my list. I thought for a Diablo type game, Torchlight one excelled for the SP experience and was excellent. It was the game most like the Original Diablo since...well the original diablo. It was FAR more like the original Diablo then Diablo 2 even!!!

However, I'm hoping just like Diablo 2 improved on many things in Diablo I...that the same will hold true for Torchlight 2 in relation to Torchlight 1. It seems that it will from my experience playing in the Beta...and MP looked like it was shaping up to be the next best thing to Diablo 2.

So yes, fairly excited about it. Wish they were releasing it on hardcopy...but even as it is I'm hoping to be d/ling the game on the 20th.

Game releases September 20. Official Site

I haven't been following this all that much, but Torchlight was fun enough for what it is, and a friend is urging me to pick up the sequel for multiplayer purposes. For $20, I'm game. I looked for a thread here for informational purposes and didn't find one. As a good Forum citizen, then, it falls to me to start it.

So, consider this your Torchlight 2 discussion location. Thoughts? Hopes? Fears? Grievances?

Secondarily, this is going to expose how much of a fuddy-duddy I am, but... I have never played a multiplayer PC game. (Also, I've never played a multiplayer game any kind with participants who weren't in the same room with me.) I asked my friend how the MP would work, and most of what he said was fairly incomprehensible. I imagine that games nowadays are designed to make this easy to do, but would anybody care to fill me in on anything that I might need to know, tech-wise?

(I guess I also probably need to buy a microphone.)

I would love to play Torchlight 2 with you MP.

MP is no different to SP for Diablo-clones. You just need to know the hotkeys for: chat and party (sometimes you're automatically partied anyway).

I don't know what system Torchlight will use, but since we live in the era of the Cloud, they will probably host their own servers (or buy hosting). Which means that you just click 'connect' and either join one of the public games that shows up. Or you make a game and put a password on it to make it private to your friends.

Microphones still aren't essentially (and probably never will be) for MP gaming. But they ARE fun and useful. I should buy one.

I've already purchased Torchlight 2 on Steam. So we'll MP over that (assuming you also use Steam). My username is: euclideanalgorithm

What's the verdict?

My verdict is that while it's not as addictive or fun as Diablo 2 was, it still stands head and shoulders above anything else that's out there. Sadly, it's a game that got destroyed by it's own lofty expectations. Like StarCraft II, the game is flawed but even if it was a much better game people still would have hated it.

I burned through d3 within a week or 2 and got stuck farming the final act of inferno and getting drops that weren't even max level.

My friends and I quit shortly after..

I never liked those games like diablo 3 that force you to stop moving to attack. Torchlight was the same. It really kills the flow for me.

WoW at least you can move and attack; you can circle-strafe to backstab which is fun.

Of course, WASD or analogue joystick movement is a must for these games, as click to move gets old when you are only controlling one character (click to move for multiple characters like RTS and TBS is fine).

Been playing the Firefall Beta which is fun (and of course you can move and shoot with your single character).

But speaking of TBS, I mostly play Civ V with my finacee as we like to take our time and play at our own pace, though we are thankful for the option of automated units as repeatedly giving individual units the same orders gets tiresome after a while, and slows down the gameplay.

Which ties into my next comparison of Final Fantasy 12, whereby you can 'program' your characters via the gambit system and you could switch between them and micro them, or you could let them do their own things (according to the program you wrote for each).

Hopefully Obsidians new Project Eternity will have enough options to keep all players satisfied. At the very least it should be much better than Torchlight ;)

(that said, I do currently have Torchlight 2 pre-loaded in Steam, though Borderlands 2 is also preloaded in case TL2 is bad, and there is also the Firefall Beta and Dishonoured if they are both bad lol)

Edited by Pollypally

I'll be picking up two copies of Torchlight 2, one for me and one for the girlfriend, so I should be able to post impressions over the weekend. That said, if you didn't enjoy the first game then you're likely not going to enjoy this one - it seems to be more of the same, alot more (plus multiplayer).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

i hate the art direction of torchlight 2. i really wish they had tried to emulate the style of diablo 1 instead of a saturday morning cartoon

if it gets good reviews i'll probably get it though, its only $20

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Downloaded the demo from Steam. Might give it spin. The coop, phat loot stuff isn't really my thing, but hey, you never know if you get surprised.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein