Hopes on new fallout ( online )!

I'd love a new Fallout from Obsidian....New Vegas was a billion times better than Fallout 3 which was still an amazing game. But I doubt it....the dragon and the hints they released so far seem to point to something along the lines of Skyrim. Medieval setting with dragons. Still that's not to say that they won't do another Fallout for bethesda in the future.

1zq6793.jpg

I'd love a new Fallout from Obsidian....New Vegas was a billion times better than Fallout 3 which was still an amazing game. But I doubt it....the dragon and the hints they released so far seem to point to something along the lines of Skyrim. Medieval setting with dragons. Still that's not to say that they won't do another Fallout for bethesda in the future.

Both medieval settings AND dragons have existed in CRPGs a LONG, LONG time before Skyrim.

Although I have to admit, we all owe gratitude to Skyrim for bringing fantasy CRPGs to the general's public's attention. I've never heard anyone who wasn't an RPG fan raving about Morrowind, or countless Youtube clips about it, and it was the far greater game in all aspects. I guess the timing was just right, and well, Youtube didn't exist back then.

Edited by Audiocide

Morrowind was a very important title in bringing Western CRPGs to the consoles, and did a huge amount to 'bring them to the general public's attention'.

If Skyrim feels like it did it more, it's just because it sold more copies due to the accumulated brand value, it's just happened so it's fresh in our minds, and Web 2.0 is brimming with more 'evidence' of that popularity. (Given that Bethesda has continued to work on building their console audience through Oblivion / FO3.)

Morrowind was a very important title in bringing Western CRPGs to the consoles, and did a huge amount to 'bring them to the general public's attention'.

If Skyrim feels like it did it more, it's just because it sold more copies due to the accumulated brand value, it's just happened so it's fresh in our minds, and Web 2.0 is brimming with more 'evidence' of that popularity. (Given that Bethesda has continued to work on building their console audience through Oblivion / FO3.)

You may be right. I was never interested in consoles. Even though I own one, I very rarely use it for more than watching blu-rays. But they obviously are the bread and butter of gaming companies. So winning over the console crowd should be the first thing a big publisher cares about.

Skyrim still feels like it did a lot better. I think sold as well as Modern Warfare 3 (at least that's what I gathered from the Steam Store), and that's something.

I remember Oblivion hype being on a similar scale? Though it's obviously hard to make fine judgments on something like that. I agree Skyrim did a great job of it all.

I think it's also Beth softs continual making of the same open world RPG that has done them so much good. They've managed to keep their old fans while getting new ones.

Indeed, though New Vegas was a move of absolute genius for them I think. Bethesda has the amazing open world and customization options and exploration but always lacked on the moral choices and top storytelling which are areas that nobody excelled better at than Obsidian. BioWare might have been good if they didn't betray everything they stood for and sold out to EA. Alas we have hope yet with companies like Obsidian staying true to their path and new rising tallent like CDPR.

As for the game at hand that's about to be announced, hard to say really but I am holding my breath in anticipation.....sometimes literally :ninja:

1zq6793.jpg

BioWare might have been good if they didn't betray everything they stood for and sold out to EA.

That's a little harsh. I've just completed the entire Mass Effect series recently, and after you get over the fact that they aren't hardcore RPGs, those games are seriously good.

Still, if BioWare put up this sort of countdown on their site, I wouldn't really care enough to sign up on their forums just to join the speculation.

Edited by Audiocide

BioWare might have been good if they didn't betray everything they stood for and sold out to EA. Alas we have hope yet with companies like Obsidian staying true to their path and new rising tallent like CDPR.

BioWare have done a great job with a lot of games: BG 1 & 2, NWN and NWN: HotU, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age (and especially DA2, in my opinion) the Mass Effect series as a whole... Obsidian (and Black Isle, respectively) have also done a fantastic job with games such as the Fallout series and New Vegas in particular, Planescape: Torment, IWD 1 & 2, KOTOR 2, NWN 2 and MotB, etc. For me, as a gamer who enjoys great games with immersive storytelling and meaningful choices, the names of both BioWare and Obsidian (Black Isle) have always symbolized quality. I've spent countless hours in the worlds created by the brilliant people at these two studios.

Therefore, I've never understood the reason behind fans of either studio (or even of both studios) pitting the two companies against each other, e.g. saying Obsidian always have crappy releases and leave unfinished stuff, or, claiming that BioWare have sold out all they ever represented and are now producing crappy games. While there's always a grain of truth in every legend, I don't see how it could be satisfying to keep on telling these stories.

Back on topic, I really don't think it'll be Fallout. I can't find any hidden meaning in the words that have been released so far that links to something of that sort. The art itself looks a lot more like a Baldur's Gate kind of thing. I'll be really surprised if this game doesn't have a medieval fantasy setting.